Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type in the points you want ?????

Options
  • 11-01-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Ok RULES 1. No courses just points in number form.

2. Leaving cert not mock, but you can check this thread if you want
    want when you have finished them to compare.

I will start^ 345

Comments

67x10^17. I think this is a pointless thread, but, I want ~560; I'd be happy with anything over 520 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭pickles_17

335 on last years points!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

What's the point of this exactly? The points someone wants/needs is entirely dependent on what course they want to do, so for one person, 500 is the bare minimum, and for another, 300 is perfectly sufficient.

But fine, I wanted 550.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

What's the point of this exactly? The points someone wants/needs is entirely dependent on what course they want to do, so for one person, 500 is the bare minimum, and for another, 300 is perfectly sufficient.

AFAIK I'll only need about 420/430.

Still I'd rather not leave it at that.

Well, it makes sense to get the highest points you can, in case you want to switch later (a friend of mine started off doing Latin and Philosophy or something, not really that high points, has now decided he wants to do medicine, and he can, because he got 590 : p)... Though actually when it came down to results day I was hoping I either got over 500 or less than 400, because I didn't want my second choice any more. : p

• Advertisement

Well, it makes sense to get the highest points you can, in case you want to switch later (a friend of mine started off doing Latin and Philosophy or something, not really that high points, has now decided he wants to do medicine, and he can, because he got 590 : p)... Though actually when it came down to results day I was hoping I either got over 500 or less than 400, because I didn't want my second choice any more. : p

The relisation of just how "Practical" Philosophy and Latin is, could shock someone into want a course with the potential of getting a career at the end:p

What was you second choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Do you not thik that it would be far better to choose a course that actually interested you than one which you thought could lead to a well paid job? or one which has good job prospects at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'll go for 380-400

at last someone who agrees with me however the reality is that many people put courses down just because of job prospects. I know a lad doing this with national teaching even though he has the interpersonal skills of a rock, sadly our college admissions system doesnt take suitability into account just how many points you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

If i get 400+ i'd dance around my house naked. (As long as no one's home of course!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Curlywonder

I'm aiming for at least 350... Don't know how realistic that is, but it's what I need for my first choice.. Gotta try get them!

Do you not thik that it would be far better to choose a course that actually interested you than one which you thought could lead to a well paid job? or one which has good job prospects at the minute?

I'm sorry, theres studying something you like, and then theres a degree in Philosophy and Latin :pac:

While you should try and do something you enjoy, career prospects should be a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

aiming for as close to 550 as possible

I see your point about job prospects being a concern, however they shouldt be what determines your future career.Also job prospects can change sigificantly in the time it takes to do a degree, just ask anyone doing civil engineering i'm sure they'll agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Only need about 300 but am aiming for 385

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I haven't really thought about it tbh.............

To clear this up a little: my friend wants to change to medicine because he wants to be working somewhere that actually benefits people directly. It's funny how everyone assumes it's for the money...

Fad: my second choice was Maths. Third was Science. (Though atm doing most of the pure maths course anyway, it's not actually that bad. Physics is way better, though.)

Fair play to your friend , the reality is that a large proportion of aspiring medical students have little intrest in helping people and are doing it solely to get some letters after their name and a six figure salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I only need 420 for Science but I'm hoping to get at least 550 in the Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Only need 350 ish, aiming for about 400.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Last year's points:495
    Aiming for 500+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Fair play to your friend , the reality is that a large proportion of aspiring medical students have little intrest in helping people and are doing it solely to get some letters after their name and a six figure salary.
    What are you basing that statement on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

He obviously knows a large proportion of aspiring medical students very well.

I'm aiming for 560 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PhilTorres

Aiming for about 420 430....will be a long ol year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

The points I WANT?

Well, come on now, the points I'd love are eh, 600.
    Like most people I can imagine!

Realistically, this will probably not happen..
    Seeing as I got 550 last year I'm hoping to get higher than that. otherwise I might feel somewhat like I've wasted a year of my life. Somewhat.

Is at lest ten years of training really worth a 6 figure salary?
    There are much much easier ways, and people who are getting into a job for the money know that..........
    Thats why the points for commerce are so high.
    Also there isnt exactly a plethora of jobs for doctors here, recruitment ban and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm sorry now, but I only know people doing medicine who are doing so out of genuine interest etc as opposed to social status/ money.

I mean, I'm hoping to do medicine and tbf i couldn't give a toss about how i'm perceived socially for it.
    Where money's involved.. well, it's not like doctors and so on don't deserve it! It's a career which basically takes over your life! YEARS training followed by one of the most demanding careers imaginable.
    You'd have to be fairly idiotic to do it for the money, if it's not something you were passionate about then I can imagine it'd be pretty awful to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Id love 450 but tbh i probably wont get much over 350

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Wont get it though tbh, nor near to it! Id be delighted to get an average of an A, so 540 - 600 somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Well I know I'll get 350ish with some study but realistically I want around 420/450.

Some people are aiming really high! Wish I had the ability for it.

Advertisement