Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Panic

Options
  • 11-01-2009 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I need some advice. As of right now im panicing myself over the mock exams and that. Al the while im saying to myself "Im going to Fail" and that, and i need some adivce on how I can get over that. I dont have much of a clue on how to keep my time and homework worked out and that. How late is it to study? Extremly sorry if this sounds stupid :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Shane08 wrote: »
    I need some advice. As of right now im panicing myself over the mock exams and that. Al the while im saying to myself "Im going to Fail" and that, and i need some adivce on how I can get over that. I dont have much of a clue on how to keep my time and homework worked out and that. How late is it to study? Extremly sorry if this sounds stupid :(

Look, a stranger on the internet isnt gonna suddenly motivate you.

JUST GET TO WORK!
    GET OFF THE INTERNET!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The mocks in general are pretty early and you won't have the courses done, so just do what you can, but don't forget that it's the LC you should be thinking about. And you've got a lot of time to study for that. : p That's not to say you should become complacent, just don't panic. There is time.

The best way to get over the feeling that you're going to fail is... well, studying. The more familiar you are with your various courses, the more confident you'll be about the exams. If you haven't been studying it can be daunting to sit down and take stock of all the work you have to do, but honestly, it CAN be done. Just take it bit by bit.
    Alternate working on things you don't like/find hard, with things you enjoy, just so you keep your spirit up. : p I love maths, so I'd always do, for example, 40 minutes of English (say, going over my single text and summarising in bullet points what happens in each scene), and then 40 minutes of Maths (nom nom equations), and then 40 minutes of maybe Music (listening to set works and following them in my notes, relaxing enough for the last 40 minutes).
    Working in 40 minute blocks was logical for me because that's how classes in school went, and 30 minutes isn't really long enough, and an hour seems too long. I'd set an alarm on my phone and then not look at the time until the alarm went off so I could concentrate fully.

If you have difficulty motivating yourself to do study after you've done your homework, what you can do is study, THEN do homework... You're more likely to do your homework when you're tired because you actually have to do it, unlike study, which always feels so optional.

Also, when you're sitting down to do your study, it helps enormously if you have an idea of what you're going to do. Saying "Okay I'll study Irish", and then sitting there for 10 minutes thinking about all the different sections and going between books and notes etc. trying to decide is just a waste of time. Organise that stuff before you start your designated "study time", so you can sit down, go "Okay, Irish, I'm going to read over all my notes relating to An Cearrbhach Mac Cába, and Lig Sinn i gCathú", or whatever. Obviously it's up to yourself how much you plan to do within a certain space of time, you'll need to spend longer on things you don't know too well, etc.

Basically, stop worrying about failing, about how you'll do, about how soon things are, and start concerning yourself with your subjects.

Advertisement