Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Article: New vehicle sales plummet

Options
  • 11-01-2009 3:09pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can't say that it comes as a surprise!
    New vehicle sales plummet

11/01/2009 - 11:42:51

New vehicle sales fell by a staggering 64% in the first week of 2009, official figures revealed today.

As the recession begins to bite, only 9,390 cars were registered in the first five days of January compared to 26,029 for the same period last year.

The figures from the National Vehicle and Drivers File also show a major shift towards diesel-fuelled vehicles due to the Government’s clampdown on CO2 emissions as only two of the top ten sellers are petrol.

The total number of vehicles registered in 2008 fell by 16% from 338,566 to 285,514.

The National Vehicle and Drivers File database is maintained by the Vehicle Registration Unit within the Department of the Environment Heritage and Local Government.

The top selling car so far in 2009 is the Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel, of which 377 were sold from garage forecourts.

In the same period last year the Ford Focus 1.4 petrol topped the list with 714 sales.

Other cars in the top ten in 2009 were: Ford Fiesta, Toyota Avensis, Toyota Yaris, Volkswagen Passat, Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Audi A4, Skoda Octavia and Opel Insignia.

The official figures also show that the total number of vehicles imported into Ireland in 2008 increased by 1% to 90,736.

Car records checking firm, Cartell.ie said vehicle sales are clearly hit by low consumer demand but the change over to diesel is encouraging from an environmental perspective.

“The switch to diesel powered vehicles has been motivated by the government’s new tax and VRT regime introduced in July 2008,” said Cartell.ie director Jeff Aherne.

“In the first week of 2008, nine out of the top ten vehicles registered were petrol models whereas in 2009 only two out of the top ten were petrol models.”

Mr Aherne said the switch to diesel will help reduce Ireland’s greenhouse gas emissions in the longterm.

“The advancement in diesel technology has allowed for vehicles of similar power to their petrol counterparts omit less CO2 per kilometre driven,” Mr Aherne said.

Last month Cartell.ie called for a UK-style national register of stolen vehicles to protect consumers who unwittingly buy ’hot’ cars with false documents.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/text/ireland/mhsneyauauau/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Pat MaGroin

The total number of vehicles registered in 2008 fell by 16% from 338,566 to 285,514.

eh.... that can't be right? 2007 was about 180,000 and 2008 about 151,000.

I can't recall Ireland highest ever figure but I think it was about 220,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Pat MaGroin

eh.... that can't be right? 2007 was about 180,000 and 2008 about 151,000.

I can't recall Ireland highest ever figure but I think it was about 220,000

My Bad. I think the figures in the article muct include Commercial heavy & light as well as imports...?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

kbannon wrote: »
    Other cars in the top ten in 2009 were:... Toyota Avensis,...

:eek:

Who is buying Avensis'?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, pretty much confirms what we have been predicting all along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Who is buying Avensis'?

Last of the old shape Avensis being sold off at good value - 09 Avensis D4D for approx 23,000 - around the same price as the Corolla diesel I believe. Selling very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

lifer_sean wrote: »
    Last of the old shape Avensis being sold off at good value - 09 Avensis D4D for approx 23,000 - around the same price as the Corolla diesel I believe. Selling very well.

A turd is a turd at any price.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Who is buying Avensis'?

Ugly as sin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Ugh, Toyota.

lifer_sean wrote: »

Ahhh i was wondering... Still, fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ahhh i was wondering... Still, fools.

At the same price as a Corolla, it makes perfect sense for someone looking for a safe family car and nothing more.

ninty9er wrote: »
    At the same price as a Corolla, it makes perfect sense for someone looking for a safe family car and nothing more.

True.

But if i knew there was a new model coming out, i'd be a bit wary of trade in values of the car in three years time. Also bringing the cars down to that money new, deminishes the second hand market for the Avensis.

True.

But if i knew there was a new model coming out, i'd be a bit wary of trade in values of the car in three years time. Also bringing the cars down to that money new, deminishes the second hand market for the Avensis.

Sure the trade in is more than accounted for in the €5k price drop, and second hand markets are in sh1t already, what's there to lose.

Sure the trade in is more than accounted for in the €5k price drop, and second hand markets are in sh1t already, what's there to lose.

The trade it won't be accounted for by the €5k discount new. The car will be priced according to it's value. If a D4D Avensis is 23k new, that'll affect the prices of 08's, 07's, 06's so on so forth. Which in turn will affect the trade in value of those cars in three years time etc.

The trade it won't be accounted for by the €5k discount new. The car will be priced according to it's value. If a D4D Avensis is 23k new, that'll affect the prices of 08's, 07's, 06's so on so forth. Which in turn will affect the trade in value of those cars in three years time etc.

But that accounts for the new model. If an Avensis II was €25k and an Avensis III €26k, the II would then be devalued, but that has already been accounted for now.

But that accounts for the new model. If an Avensis II was €25k and an Avensis III €26k, the II would then be devalued, but that has already been accounted for now.

Aye, so the Avensis II is now worth 23K brand new. I'm sure there are dealers asking that for 08 demo's. So now their prices for a register 08 Avensis have to come down big time, because people can get brand new cars for that money. If the 08's come down, then 07's have to come down. It messes up the whole market.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah lads, can get back on topic. :)

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ah lads, can get back on topic. :)

We are on topic lol

Edit: Funnily enough, the add for the new Avensis just came on lol. First time seeing it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Stop talking about the Avensis - this is a motors forum after all!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

any idea of the sales figures for new Renault Megane ??

• Advertisement

The SIMI haven't realised stats for this year (fair enough lol)

But here's the last three years for any interested.
    http://www.simi.ie/showcontent.asp?SubsectionID=10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

However, some of us will be pleased that the auris is'nt mentioned in that list.Thanks be to f**k. To be fair a d4d avensis for 23k aint too bad.There'll be shocking resale values though so i'd hope those buyers are keeping them for the long haul(Which they would be in recession is suppose!!) I dont think the new one is any better as a car(Maybe on emissions but thats it IMO)

Advertisement