Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating gunk

Options
  • 11-01-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

can anyone please tell me is it possible to flush complet heating system . I have been told there is oxodisation and some sort of gunk boiler working and pump working but system not heating Is there any solution please

T.M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

It's possible and not specially difficult, but it depends on whether your system is pressurised or atmospheric. Can you post more detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

as far as i know its atmospheric with header tank in attic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

OK so. Somewhere in the system there should be a drain valve -- a small brass thing with a hose connection and a square headed screw top. If you connect a hose to it and run it to a drain, you can then open it and the system will drain down. When you do that you'll need to ensure that all of your radiators are turned on, and the ball valve in the header tank is tied up. Once the system is empty, release the ball valve and let it fill again. Vent the radiators and run the system. You might need to do all that more than once if there is a lot of gunk, and if so that poses the question of why is there so much? It can happen if the system is losing water at quite a rate, since the gunk is the result of oxidation in your radiators. Once you've flushed it, try running it with the header tank ball valve tied up and see if the water level drops over a few days. If it does, you have a leak that you must find before your rads start to leak.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did the answers in the other thread you started not suffice?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055458966

Advertisement