Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

most UNRELIABLE make??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are statistics out there that tell what the least reliable cars are. I note with huge amusement that VW aren't on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I have only driven 2 marques that you have included in the list. My first car was a horrible baby blue sh1tbox Opel Corsa... Loved that thing but it broke my heart over and over :(. So by my reckoning no other car in the world is worse than that horrible yoke, thats why I voted Opel. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭SomeDude

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There are statistics out there that tell what the least reliable cars are. I note with huge amusement that VW aren't on the list.

And I note with amusement the predictability of your response :D

Where are these statistics that put VW on the least reliable cars list???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

SomeDude wrote: »

I've one. My doors don't work. The airbag light is on. I always have trouble with it. Bulbs go, this that and the other thing. Drinks oil

Sold one to a friend, all of the above, plus it drinks oil more. All little annoying things. I could go on

VW are no more reliable than anything else, they just have that household name.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Going on a survey I saw recently that was based on breakdowns, as opposed to faults, VW were on the wrong end of the table, whereas the likes of Hyundai were near the top.

My point is, there's no point in asking people what the most unreliable cars is, unless the aim is to tap into peoples prejudices as opposed to getting the correct answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I have yet to be in a VW that DOESN'T have the engine light on. A mechanic guy I know HATES working on them, and he gets more VW's than any other marque. Could be because they are fairly popular around here.

A friend bought a Fiat Bravo ages ago, before I could trump up the cash for it. He still reckons it was one of the best cars he ever had.

My brother had a servere amount of bother with Renaults, don't know why he kept buying them.

I personally don't like Renaults, but thats me. Fords are grand, I drive one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Stekelly wrote: »
    Their sister cars, Alfa Romeo are great though.

I would have thought VW or Audi in place of Proton would have been a much better option (certainly bassed on the reliability surveys anyway)

What a dreadful gaffe, I feel such a fool!

Alfa Romeo
    • League position: 26th
    • Claims per 100 vehicles: 39.4
    • Average age (years): 4.05
    • Average mileage: 47,068
    • Average repair cost: £423
    • Average time for repair (hours): 3.87

Volkswagen
    • League position: 15th
    • Claims per 100 vehicles: 30.1
    • Average age (years): 4.49
    • Average mileage: 49,174
    • Average repair cost: £269
    • Average time for repair (hours): 2.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I have one, had to replace the 6-speed gearbox @ 64k miles. I have also owned 2 Peugeot cars in succession. I had 174k miles on the 405 and 135k miles on the 406 (before i sold it) and I encountered 2 problems over the lifespan of the 2 cars. One was a broken water hose on the 405,(cheap fix - wear and tear) and the other was a failed fuel pump lifter in the 406 (EUR 160 for the part - wear and tear also at well over 100k miles). I think you could call that fairly reliable - don't you?
    I can tell you for a fact, VW should be on the poll.
    Peugeot along with other marques will always be sh1tboxes to the Irish masses. It is wrong but who cares, once it has a Toyota badge, it will sell in this country -right?
    BTW, I know of 2 people who had full engine replacements in a Toyota avensis and my buddy is on his 3rd gearbox in his "reliable as a brick sh1t house" avensis. (He even says that himself!!)
    Mercedes went through a rough patch there a few years ago, but as far as I know, they are back on track now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

19 people have voted Renault/Fiat.

Have any of those 19 owned either? Just out of curiousity...
    I had a Volvo with a Renault engine. It was the greatest heap of shite. I was tempted to burn it several times. Never again. it put me off both makes for life! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Hyundai not Hyundia unless thats the fake rolex version of a crappy car lol :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png
    Worst motors thread ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

ClioV6 wrote: »
    bet Renault will win this poll(or lose it as the case may be)

Ireland is full of horribly ignorant people who reckon anything French is crap.
    I'd vote for Land Rover aswell but it's not on the poll.

No one ever said they were crap. They just have a higher chance of unreliability than other cars.

+1 by the way for the inclusion of Volkswagen in the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have yet to be in a VW that DOESN'T have the engine light on. A mechanic guy I know HATES working on them, and he gets more VW's than any other marque. Could be because they are fairly popular around here.

Now that you mention it, my cousins Passat has had the engine light on for ages.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Renault deserve to win this poll from my own experiences with them, absolute ****e, but in fairness Mercedes and VW should feature well there too, they're really not much better tbh. And no, Stekelly, I don't want another fight with you about Renaults, they might be fine for you but every single time I ever had any dealings with them they left me down and cost me a mint, I don't forgive and forget.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Poll results like these are far more unreliable than the car makes mentioned. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

VolvoMan wrote: »
    No one ever said they were crap. They just have a higher chance of unreliability than other cars.

+1 by the way for the inclusion of Volkswagen in the poll.

other cars being?
    because not all.

they're far more reliable than other cars.(to go by the same phrase)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

and another thing, where is BMW and Audi in the voting options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Rover

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and another thing, where is BMW and Audi in the voting options?

jayus!!:rolleyes:........i'm blue in the face from saying this....i couldn't list every make under sun...there isn't a poll big enough.......so i just went for the usual suspects

but bye all means if there others that are not listed....feel free to mention them

nothing that is mentioned in this thread is set in stone ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

fryup wrote: »
    jayus!!:rolleyes:........i'm blue in the face from saying this....i couldn't list every make under sun...there isn't a poll big enough.......so i just went for the usual suspects

but bye all means if there others that are not listed....feel free to mention them

Proton?!

• Advertisement

but you listed "proton" - how dumbass is that?? (nothing perosnal btw), but PROTON!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I woulda voted rover... but the next worse is Fiat so...

Fix It Again Tomorrow
    Fix It Again Tony
    Fcuk It And Thumb...

Gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

This thread is a load of sh*t

This thread is a load of sh*t

+1 X 150%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

mickdw wrote: »
    Where are mercedes, vw, audi?

http://www.parkmotors.ie/contentv3/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

but you listed "proton" - how dumbass is that?? (nothing perosnal btw), but PROTON!!!!

You'll have egg on your face when the 3 guys that own Protons in Ireland come on.

Unless it was one guy buying 3 of them,:)

OP where did you even get the idea to put Proton in? I mean they arent even liste don carzone, surely that gave you an idea of their market? and even bloody pontiac are listed on carzone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

FearDark wrote: »
    I woulda voted rover... but the next worse is Fiat so...

Fix It Again Tomorrow
    Fix It Again Tony
    Fcuk It And Thumb...

Gets my vote.

:rolleyes: Brilliant, almost as good as your signature. Sums this thread up nicely. Dim-witted. Lets close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Biro wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Brilliant, almost as good as your signature. Sums this thread up nicely. Dim-witted. Lets close it.

well its got over 1100 views in a few hours......so it must be generating some interest:p

well its got over 1100 views in a few hours......so it must be generating some interest:p

Well, this is not personal - but you're unique with you poorly thought out idioticy laden "reliability" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Thought id mention that my GF's VW Golf engine light is also on permanently.

The garages cant seem to figure out what's causing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement