Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science @ NUIG?????

• 11-01-2009 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Thinking of doing science next year in galway...mainly cos i dont have a clue what i want to do!!
    Just wondering what its like??? Ooo and if you could recommend accommodation dat wud be gr8!!! Thanks!!!:D:D:D:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

If you really don't know what you want to do, you should talk to a guidance councilor. It's still not too late!

I'm in my final year of an Engineering degree in Galway and have to say I love the campus and the city. Can't comment about the science course though. Try posting your question on http://boards.sin.nuigalway.ie the student boards.

As for accommodation, if you know a group going to Galway get a house otherwise check out Corrib Village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lilspoon

Thanks i will do!!!
    Well im the only one out of my year going to galway:(.....corrib village seems preety cool...but is it strict?? Wud i be able to have a friend or 2 over 4 a nite and stuff???

Technically no (as far as I know) ... but I doubt that'd stop you. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 orright?

I'm also going to Galway this year (fingers crossed) and I've heard it's nearly impossible to have friends over in corrib village cos of the security, but then again I've heard the opposite as well. Is there anybody on here who knows these things??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lilspoon

Ya same here!!! Im hearing all different things about corrib....if you go to www.sin.nuigalway.ie/boards and go into complaints there is a thread about corrib being a hell hole!!! but everyone is saying different stuff.... but sure all ill need is a bed and a kettle and ill be sorted!! :D

• Advertisement

There's some good info on finding accommodation here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

fuzzsc00ta wrote: »
    There's some good info on finding accommodation here

not really. they want to flog you the overpriced student residences.

far better to chip in with a few friends and go looking for a decent house to rent somewhere around Newcastle or the centre of town. what with this recession and all there are plenty of places to be had. that way you can still do what you want, and have the craic, but not have to put up with some of the sh*t that goes on in these student residences.

The accommodation office does not try to flog student residences. They're a good place to start if you're looking for advice on accommodation, especially if you've never rented before. Send them an email or call into their office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

To answer original OP question.

Science is good if you are interested in science but not sure of which direction you want to go down. Even though points are low don't expect an easy ride. I would recommend at least 1 science subject for LC but 2 would be preferable. Take a wide range of subjects that interest you in 1st yr and then in 2nd year pick the ones you liked best. Hours are pretty good a fair few labs etc. but little outside work.

As for accommodation Cuirt na Coirbe/Gort na Coirbe is pretty good but a little expensive but you will be living with students. I wouldn't recommend Corrib Village. If you want best value I would try around Newcastle/City Centre area but this is a bit more difficult to do on your own.

My advice go for Cuirt na Coirbe/Gort na Coirbe if you have the money then strike out with some mates in 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarahbrennan

im in first year science this year and i love it but the course is alot tougher than i thought it would be, but there's good facilities and theres a good diversity of people in the course. i wouldn't really recommend it if you dont already have a background interest in science.
    good luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

i wouldn't really recommend it if you dont already have a background interest in science.

Wow... you don't say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Wow... you don't say...
    She has a valid point. All too often you see people in courses they don't like; sometimes to appease their parents or simply because of bad CAO choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

ethernet wrote: »
    She has a valid point. All too often you see people in courses they don't like; sometimes to appease their parents or simply because of bad CAO choices.

obvious statement is still obvious... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    obvious statement is still obvious... :pac:
    Obviously :pac: .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

I shall start my own thread on the science faculty and then people may consult that as a reference from other users.

Advertisement