Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed Connection Flight Compensation

Options
  • 11-01-2009 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I booked a flight from London to Vancouver whcih involved a two hour stop-over in Denver, but my London to Denver flight was delayed and as a result I misssed my connecting flight to Vancouver. As it was late(ish) in the evening there was no more flights to Vancouver so the airline (United) put me on the next flight the following morning which was 14 hours later and not recieving a thing from United apart from details of my flight and a list of hotels which I would get the "discounted rate" if I choose to stay there. But instead I spent the night in the airport and got my connecting flight the next morning.

I sent all these details to my insurance company(ACE) and they just got back to me with a cheque for €20, and I thought that I would reciceve a little bit more then that.

Is there any guidelines which insurance companies have to follow when dealing with this typw of claim or are there any international rules which every insurance company have to follow, and if so what are these rules?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

AFAIK (and I could well be wrong here) it is up to you to book connecting flights allowing for enough time to make the connecting flight.

That includes taking flight delays into account etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

miju wrote: »
    AFAIK (and I could well be wrong here) it is up to you to book connecting flights allowing for enough time to make the connecting flight.

It was all booked through a travel agents and was told that had plenty of time between each flight granted that the flight went ahead as per scheduled, and dont think they would/could of sold it to me if they didnt think there was enough time between flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

miju wrote: »

Unless you booked the two flights under the same airline or those with a code sharing agreement as far as I know...

Pythia wrote: »
    Unless you booked the two flights under the same airline or those with a code sharing agreement as far as I know...

All the flights were booked with United Airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

I missed a connecting flight with friends due to bad weather, plane had to circle for a while before landing and we missed flight.
    Went to the agency (German Airline) we booked flight from and explained situation.
    We got free overnight stay at hotel near airport, we each had our own room, including free dinner as it was nighttime and breakfast in the morning.
    We also got an overnight kit cos we couldnt get our luggage.
    Free transport on airport bus to and back airport/hotel.
    So very happy with this service.

Just to give you an idea of my experience.
    Our flight was on time departing but delayed in the air by bad weather.

In future booking, give enough time between flights for possible delays.

Maybe the cheque of €20 was the value of the hotel overnight stay discounted.
    Im also assuming that you werent charged for the alternative flight so its seem reasonable.
    But I think you should have stayed in the hotel for free especially that both flights were the same airline.

Just curious when the first plane was delayed, did you receive free complimentary drinks/food due to delay on the plane while it was on the tarmac?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

bazzman wrote: »
    It was all booked through a travel agents and was told that had plenty of time between each flight granted that the flight went ahead as per scheduled

see theres the bit you should have been wary off and should have asked to put on a slightly later one to give yourself an extra time cushion

Just curious when the first plane was delayed, did you receive free complimentary drinks/food due to delay on the plane while it was on the tarmac?[/QUOTE]

No, not a thing, only been told every 20 mins or so that we would be leaving in 15 minutes, suppose they just thought that the food on the plane that we would be getting will do.

The same thing happen two two of my friends in LA and that got put up in the Hilton and dinner and the likes, whereas I was left in a airport in which I had to bring all bags around with me even when I had to go to the toilet, asked to where I could put my bag and was told had to keep it until 3 hours before my flight.

On another note just mailed United for their policies on delayed/missed flights and also the insurance company to see how much/what you are entitled to as a result of missing your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

As you did not opt to stay in the hotel, I would say that is all you are likely to get back from your insurance. If you had opted for the hotel, in all likelihood, you would have got the cost of the stay, or at least a per centage of it reimbursed.

Advertisement