Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here I go.......

• 11-01-2009 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

New year seems like the time that most people begin new diets, etc and so i thought i too would jump on the band wagon.

I am not too sure about my weight and/ or measurements, i will post my measurements later tonight.

A bit about me....I am 25 :eek: female, a size 12-14 and roughly 5'6

i have been a member of numerous gyms in the past but never really attend them for a prolonged period of time, I have in the past used the excuse of college 'I have exams, I do not have time for the gym' or ' I have this really important assignment to complete. i cannot go to the gym' but alas i am no longer a student so no more excuses.

What i want to achieve: I want to lose weight, I am not really concerned about the number on the scales per se more about how big my hips are but I would little to actually lose a little weight but to be leaner and i suppose less of me.

Because of my last experiences with the gym i have decided not to join the gym yet (i have also just started work and as of yet I do not have the money for the monthly subscription). what i intend to do is sort of diet out first as I gather from reading the stickies that diet is probably the most important part and i have a treadmill of my own so i intend to use that for at least 40 mins per day 5 days a week.

My plan:

EXERCISE treadmill 40 mins a day walking at 6km for 2 mins, running at 8km for 1 min and slowly build this up. I may also fit in 1 spin class a week.

DIET breakfast 325g porridge made with water and a glass of
    orange juice
    mid-morning a piece of fruit e.g. banana or 2 small oranges
    lunch i intend to make my own lunch and bring it to work so I
    will probably have a tuna salad (with pasta) or homemade tomato
    soup or chicken sandwich with a yoghurt
    mid-afternoon a handful of nuts and dried fruit
    dinner may have something like spaghetti Bolognese (made
    from scratch with wholemeat pasta) or a chicken curry (with whole
    grain rice) or white fish with veg

throughout the day i will have 2.5L - 3L of water a day

so thats it. I have found in the past that if i write down every single thing that i eat it helps me in the long run to lose weight so i may try that..... and i probably will eventually look into joining a gyn for probably not for the next 3-4 weeks

Fingers crossed it works:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

Good luck! Logging everything definatly helps !!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck with it. On the treadmill thing, doing the same thing all the time can get mind numbingly boring, you might find varying your distances, intervals and speeds with set plans each evening might help your motivation. And make sure theres a tv in the room :). And obviously, get good shoes, you are planning a lot of running. If you start to flag or loose interest.. Keep coming back here to the forum, you get new ideas and the push to keep it up, i find that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MissMacMacMac

Thanks Oryx for the post, I know what you are saying bout the motivation and I totally agree and as i get fitter i would hope to increase the amount of running time and decrease the walking time. I also plan on joining a gym in 3-4 weeks so hopefully that will help too.

So I measured myself last night....

Upper arm 12''
    Under bust 35''
    Over bust 38''
    Waist 35''
    Hips 41''
    Thigh 21''
    Above knee 17.5
    Calf 15.5

The reason I took my above knee measurement was more for my own reasons- o often feel when I look at pictures of myself in dresses/ skirts that my legs resemble tree trunks as they are pretty much the same width from above the knee down so I would also want to drop a an inch or two there as well.

Diet today has not gone great, I am not going to get an opportunity to do the groceries until Friday so for the moment i am using what is in the cupboard...all of which is fine but not great...
    Breakfast 2 weetabix with sknimmed milk
    Midmorning fruit
    Lunch chicken sandwich
    Dinner stew (which had been in the freeaer ad which i had to use up)

No treadmill today as i thought i was working and so off i went to work only to arrive and be told 'sorry we dont need you and I forgot to call you' i was sooooo pissed off, exercise was the last thing on my mind :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you want a slightly more structured way of progressing from walking to running, try the Couch to 5k running program. You can do it pretty easily on your treadmill. Also seconding getting a good pair of shoes, it's important to have the right shoes as it reduces the risk of injury.

Advertisement