Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

customs query - coming from US

• 11-01-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Just a quick question. If i go to NY and bring my camera with me and a few lenses, is there any possibility of getting hassle from customs on the way back in Dublin? Like could they think I bought the stuff over there and try tax me on it, or demand I produce receipts to show I didn't buy them over there??? The camera is a very recently purchased DSLR and it is new and shiny so thats why I ask.

Thanks a mill in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

they could do that and also tell you they will not give you your equipment back until you pay VAT/Import tax.

most of the time they are too busy(Cant be bothered) stopping people walking into the country - the main aim for them is stopping people bringing in products for resale.

if you are really worried get a garda to sign a piece of paper with the list of gear you intend bringing (before your flight) and if stopped produce that and hey presto !!

most of the time they wont stop you unless you are obviously walking around the arrivals area with shiny camera gear, if you have everything in your hand luggage/backpack you probably wont be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

thanks. a mate came back on a flight recently and said customs made every second or third person open their suitcases so thats what had me worried:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

a lot of the time they only stop people who they've found to have all the tags and boxes for whatever they've bought. you'll probably be alright although the letter from the guard idea mentioned above sounds pretty good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I don't know if they do it here but in Australia you could get a form from the Customs & list items being taken overseas, along with serial numbers. This was then witnessed by the Police or Customs. A quick call to Customs here should tell you if they have the same mechanism here.

***MOD*** I have had to edit one post & delete another in this thread for advice to avoid Tax. This is specificly covered in the Charter. Everyone who posts should be aware of the contents. I will consult with the other Mods about these posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my apologies - didnt realise what I was saying. (genuine error)

Thanks for removing it.

the essence of my message was get a gardai to check a list of items you are taking and sign it - as proof of what you bring with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

CabanSail wrote: »
    I don't know if they do it here but in Australia you could get a form from the Customs & list items being taken overseas, along with serial numbers. This was then witnessed by the Police or Customs. A quick call to Customs here should tell you if they have the same mechanism here.

I think there is a document called a carnet, that is filled in and stamped upon enty to a country with items of value listed, this should then be produced upon leving and re entry into Ireland!

Never had a problem with this myself and have never seen anyone stopped by customs.What you could do is leave a photo on the card from before you left Ireland.The EXIF data would show you always had the camera.As long as the customs official isn't too stringent this should be enough to get you off.

Advertisement