Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT with netgear modem

Options
  • 11-01-2009 4:35pm

Hey guys,

Im with Bt Ireland and have my own modem its a netgear modem but at least once a day my interest cuts out. it drives me around the bend! to fix it i have to unplug the box and replug it in, or disconnect from the network and relog in. sometimes doing this doesnt fix the problem!

Can someone please advise me if this is a broken on my end or on bts because someday im going to ring them and lose it!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

having similar issues here in waterford too. seems to be happening a few ppl i know with bt. ive gone to the trouble of buying a new modem to see if that was the problem but it wasn't. happens me at least once if not twice a day. cant explain it, we just wait it out.

its the most annoying thing ever, what can we do? threaten bt? as seen as its not the modem like? bt dont want to know you when you don't have their modem

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Hey guys,

Im with Bt Ireland and have my own modem its a netgear modem but at least once a day my interest cuts out. it drives me around the bend! to fix it i have to unplug the box and replug it in, or disconnect from the network and relog in. sometimes doing this doesnt fix the problem!

Can someone please advise me if this is a broken on my end or on bts because someday im going to ring them and lose it!

cheers

had the same problem - mine was a dg834g v3
    the 'i' light kept going from green to orange - router losing sync
    reconnected the voyager router - synced no problem

is the router losing sync or just disconnecting?

you do know BT also reset the connection every 24 hrs?

hi thunderbird,

know i didnt no bt reset it every 24 hrs? could you please explain this? as fair as i no none of the lights on the netgear box check nay different when it cuts out. i wonder wud buying a box directly from bt solve this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

hi thunderbird,

know i didnt no bt reset it every 24 hrs? could you please explain this? as fair as i no none of the lights on the netgear box check nay different when it cuts out. i wonder wud buying a box directly from bt solve this problem?

BT force the connection to reset every 24 hrs
    this causes the router to get a new IP

this blog from 2006 and previous post(s) on here that I can't find mention it
    edit: found one post here

this might help get to the bottom of what's going on if you still have the netgear router:

log in to the router config (192.168.x.x - netgears usually have the login settings on a sticker on the bottom)

on the LHS there is a link to view the router logs

better again there is an Email link further down

in here you can set up the router to email you the logs periodically or when the log is full
    just set it up with whatever email address you want the logs sent to, use the BT smtp server

this is an example of the logs you get (this was from when I was having bad disconnection issues):

(Loss of synchronization = 'i' light flashing)

Mon, 2008-03-03 12:01:25 - Loss of synchronization :18
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:01:53 - Initialize LCP.
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:01:53 - LCP is allowed to come up.
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:01:54 - CHAP authentication success
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:02:55 - Loss of synchronization :19
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:03:55 - Loss of synchronization :20
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:04:25 - Loss of synchronization :21
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:04:54 - LCP down.
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:04:55 - Loss of synchronization :22
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:04:56 - LCP down.
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:04:57 - Initialize LCP.
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:04:58 - LCP is allowed to come up.
    Mon, 2008-03-03 12:04:59 - CHAP authentication success

just remember to remove the email settings again after a few days or your inbox could be swamped with mails :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement