Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rustoleum Combicolor

Options
  • 11-01-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Has anyone heard of this stuff? There's good reports on a few other sites - try vw rustoleum combicolor on google - and is it available here?

Could be a handy way of painting for home restorers

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭kyote00

I used this before and its complete ****e....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 manxd7

The range of Rust Oleum products is available from company Dycon Ltd in Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

kyote00 wrote: »
    I used this before and its complete ****e....

Bad news :( I bought a tin of it for my van (not used it yet).
    What was the problem with it and how did you apply it?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

This is good stuff, it is similar to POR-15,
    It needs a sand-blasted or a well roughed up surface for it to stick.
    It just runs off a smooth surface.
    It has an acid in it which kills the rust and also etches into the metal.
    Takes a few weeks for it to completely cure but is rock hard when it is.;)

It really requires a lot of effort to get to UK website of Rust Oleum and download TDS and MSDS an read through them... If it was done, there wouldn't be ridiculous statements like:
    mamakevf wrote: »
    It has an acid in it which kills the rust and also etches into the metal.

The Combicolor paint is an urethane modified alkyd paint, that can be used both as a primer or topcoat on manually derusted bare steel.
    If you want to apply it on rust, you must use the Anti-Corrosion 3369/3380 primer first.
    If you want to paint over surfaces like galvanised steel, zinc, aluminium etc, you must use Tack Coat 3302 primer.
    There is a separate primer for polymer surfaces ("plastics")

There is no "acid" in the paint - instead there is enough Zinc Phosphate to stop the corrosion from further development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Zinc phosphate,that must be the acid like strong smell that that it gives off when curing, thus making me think it had a rust converter, stupid me.
    Stupid me for buying it off the nice fancy display in the paint shop and giving it a go.
    Stupid me for trying to extol the virtues of your wonderful product.
    Yes,yes stupid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

holy thread revival Batman, hope nobody will go ape

mamakevf hey, in which shop did you buy this product?

its kinda hard to get, shops in Ireland only carry the colours they know will sell, like black... and rustolium UK wont return my emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Funny that :), I just bought a can of this the other day, to see what its like, they reckon you should use a roller, thin it down, many coats and lots of sanding.
    I am going to try spraying it on.
    I got it from a guy near Bagnalstown, dear stuff, €60 a can:eek:

that would be these guys so

http://www.paintshop.ie/Steel-Protection/CombiColor---primer-and-topcoat.aspx

60ish including postage to Dublin, but again in limited colours

if you're looking for RustOleum paints, give Dycon a shout (0)1287 5738, they will put you in contact with a rep and he will sort you out

there should be a range of Combi Colour in Woodie's, but if you're after a given shade, sale rep could organise a blend for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I think the product is meant for gates,fences etc rather than a gloss finish on cars. Saw a German car restoration programme where they seemed to spray it on wishbones /axles etc after a wire brushing of the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

manxd7 wrote: »
    if you're looking for RustOleum paints, give Dycon a shout (0)1287 5738, they will put you in contact with a rep and he will sort you out

there should be a range of Combi Colour in Woodie's, but if you're after a given shade, sale rep could organise a blend for you

And maybe that rep can explain why a 2.5 litre tin costs €60 in Ireland and only the equivilant of €32 in the UK, even the 3% difference in VAT is only about 1 Euro and the guy I bought from was working from a shed beside his house in the middle of no where, so not an overhead issue either?

http://www.rustoleum.co.uk/basket

http://www.rustoleum.co.uk/products/metal-paint

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭FREDNISMO

45euro for a 2.5 in my local co-op

Frednismo what area are you in? was in the co-op in Tipp town, they have a shelf full of it there too, 43.20 if i recall correctly. limited colours, - white, silver, blue and black in the 2.5lt can.
    they have more colours in smaller cans. i asked behind the counter about other colours and they said whats there is there, and thats that.

they also have two versions of combicolor primer, one for applying on galvanised surfaces, and one red primer for vunerable areas, to be applied before a coat of normal combicolor.

so, any colour so long as its black )

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Sligo/leitrim, its the same in my local CO-OP

anyone know of any place in or around dubin / trim that I can buy this product?

had a look in woodies in blanch but there is none on the shelves, also had a look in Goodwins builders providers navan road, but yer man was like, what the hell is that...

its stocked in the co-ops in tipp town, but, i rang a co-op in trim and i was left scratching my head - im not sure co-ops are the same thing at all up towards dublin, in tipp they sell farming supplies, nuts , bolts, fencing, rust paint etc.

Oh, ive been using this stuff straight outta the can with a roller on both metal and fiberglass, it goes on like a dream, its really nice to use. really smooth finish without thinning or sanding. The vehicle im restoring is going into the forest so im not going for an immaculate paintjob.

x2vK4CF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Any luck Redd?

hi there Aidan. Yah i did find a place in dublin that stock it. i cant think of the name of the place right now, let me back to you on it

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭carlosfandango

Stillorgan Decor stock this product. I got it there recently & re painted my T25 camper using it. Great product, it's all about the prep as always.

CFD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

arrrghh , it lives again....bang a stake through it's heart Mods....

• Advertisement

i fear you dont have enough real problems in your life it this is really bothering you

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

Anyone following up on this: Woodies only do spray cans, B+Q only do spray cans and little 250ml cans.

Bolands Arklow have the CombiColour range €59.95. 2.5ltr tin

Dycon.ie wicklow also do the range €56.95 2.5ltr tin (they also have a range of colours available called RAL range (lots of shades) of combicolours)

Someone did mention getting a 2.5ltr tin for €40.00 ish - anywhere on the east coast???

Ok, to further update.

Ended up going to Dycon in Kilcoole, wicklow.

Went to buy from their office and paid €56.50 for a 2.5L, and was told to follow this bloke in to their warehouse. While i was waiting at the entrance, i notice shelves of different cans of rustoleum and a sign stated "Sale", when i enquired - they told me that if cans get dented or knocked about they end up on this shelf. I had to go back to the office to enquire about the "Sale" price and was told €30 a can.

So ended up with 2 dented cans (5ltr's) for €60!! On with van project.

So if you use them - ask about the sale shelf and have a goo through.

awww lucky man!

I paid 45 for a 2.5lt again last week in Tipp. If you have pics of your results with the combi color throw them up. Im painting the cab on a truck, should be done in a few weeks, will add some then.

yes, will do.

Its going to be a while. I'm doing a Van, a nice rattley LDV Convoy. It's going to be done outside - have no shelter. So, I'm going to have to take into account temperature, wind, motivation etc....

Have been doing a lot of watching vids etc... First time at any of this sort of lark, any good tips gratefully appreciated.

yes i did the same, there is a lot of info out there aiming at a mirror finish.

But i didnt bother with that. The machine im doing is going into the forest anyway, its a big ugly 4x4 work truck. Soooo, i just opened the can, poured it into a tray, got a foam roller and applied it that way. No thinners, no nothing.

The result you get in that case is an 'orange peel' effect, which you have prob read about. Its not pronounced but it is there.

I gotta say its very satisfying paint to work with. With the wings, I applied a coat a day, for five days. I thoroughly enjoyed doing it - with each coat you can see the results getting better and better.

Advertisement