Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart business wear in public service?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm about to start a job as a higher executive officer. I've been told that I must wear smart business wear. I had originally intended wearing things like slacks, shirt and jumper. Or sports jackets with open necked shirts.
    But smart business wear sounds like suits, which is fine but I'd just like some insight before I spend a load on some decent ones.
    Ps. I've never worked properly before so its all a bit new to be hence the slight embarrasment and unreg.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Buy a suit jacket with two pairs of trousers, so that at least you can wear it for the first couple of days and suss out what everyone else wears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

So I'm about to start a job as a higher executive officer. I've been told that I must wear smart business wear. I had originally intended wearing things like slacks, shirt and jumper. Or sports jackets with open necked shirts.
    But smart business wear sounds like suits, which is fine but I'd just like some insight before I spend a load on some decent ones.
    Ps. I've never worked properly before so its all a bit new to be hence the slight embarrasment and unreg.

Smart business does indeed mean suits etc.

I have worked in this environment and to start from scratch can be v expensive... so try getting some classic pieces and mix and match.

Doesnt always mean a tie is required but it would be advisable to make sure you always have one or two in the drawer and work so as to never be caught short.

First time really in this environment stick to comfortable blacks, browns and grey or navy for suits - try the likes of Dunnes for suits and then get nice pieces in more expensive places during sales ( which there are plenty off at the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

If you are ambitious wear a suit, only techicians get away without wearing suits/ jacket and tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Shop around. You can pick up some decent suits very cheaply from smaller outlets that need to clear a stock build up. As pointed out above get two pairs of trousers with the suit as they always wear out faster.

You'll get used to wearing a suit to work fairly quickly.

Advertisement