Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you currently playing/learning?

• 11-01-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Moi, I'm practicing the hell out of Your Hand in Mine by Explosions in the Sky. It's tough and I'm cac. Anyone else having more success with current endeavours? Or are we all failures like me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Learning hot for teacher by EVH!

Tough nut to crack for sure.
    It'll be great once i have it down though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Michael Jackson, Beat it :)

Guitar hero has inspired, some great cheese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Trying to get to grips with The Kill by 30 Seconds from Mars. I'm finding it a though one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i learned your hand in mine its a great piece to play i was going to record it all with all the gutiars, it rocks, but i remember i got stuck recording one arpegiated bit

leanring warm regards by steve vai right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

My band are resuming activities after a 7 month interruption so I'm relearning our stuff, it's amazing how quickly you forget stuff but muscle memory gets you through :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

caprichi something or other and something by villalopis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Doctor J wrote: »
    My band are resuming activities after a 7 month interruption so I'm relearning our stuff, it's amazing how quickly you forget stuff but muscle memory gets you through :pac:

I forget songs an hour after i write them these days, which sucks cause most of them are class, and i only completely remember half of them!

I need some sort of recording device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

CianRyan wrote: »
    I forget songs an hour after i write them these days, which sucks cause most of them are class

HAHA theres modesty for ya

all the songs i forgotten are class

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Have started learning Texas Flood by SRV, should keep me occupied for at least another couple of weeks :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I'm trying to learn the solo on the unplugged version of Layla. I've never really wanted to learn solos or anything but might as well learn to play some lead stuff sometime, and this seemed a good place to start. I can do the intro solo and the rest of the song

Have started learning Texas Flood by SRV, should keep me occupied for at least another couple of weeks :eek:

gota learn lenny after that, or else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Currently working on the bassline for "Ain't that peculiar" by Marvin Gaye with the mighty James Jamerson on bass. :cool:

It's a fun song, but the timing is a little tricky in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Your Hand in Mine is coming along ok; I'd forgotten the satisfaction of sitting down and just working on a song until it starts to come together.

That being said, it still sounds ****...

sounds great when you get all the guitars and harmonies down, i remember playing it a while back with a dd-20 and layering up the different guitar tracks, wonderfull harmonies in that song, good old trusty e major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Trying to get some Harry Chapin into the fingers. Not as easy on piano as first thought but it's coming together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Currently just playing over some meshuggah riffs and my band's songs, most of them I wrote specifically to push my limits at the time, so it helps me stay up to scratch on what I can play.

Ok, had to post something....

Just started playing drums again, first time in years and just finding pace again, all the little bits are slowly coming back, holding the sticks, posture, placing the pedals, timing....

I completely forgot how much fun it is, edrums are the greatest invention - I just finished playing, in our houseshare without waking anyone

Anyway, I played everything - rage against the machine, the who, SRV, split whiskers; far from perfect but great fun!!! With proper timing in places :)

Picked up Spanish Romance again this week, which I'd started learning a few months back but had sort of let go; such a nice, simple, pretty song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

efla wrote: »
    Ok, had to post something....

Just started playing drums again, first time in years and just finding pace again, all the little bits are slowly coming back, holding the sticks, posture, placing the pedals, timing....

I completely forgot how much fun it is, edrums are the greatest invention - I just finished playing, in our houseshare without waking anyone

Anyway, I played everything - rage against the machine, the who, SRV, split whiskers; far from perfect but great fun!!! With proper timing in places :)

Want lessons? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Alive By Pearl Jam. Just playing it, as the solo is alot of fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Just finished learnin ye olde Stairway to heaven solo. I dont understand why it has such a "OMG" factor around ppl. Its fairly easy. Then the teacher made me learn Black dog cause i said i hated it... now thts hard :(

My friends (singers) want to enter a competition, so I have to learn:

Forever/With You - Chris Brown
    Disturbia - Rihanna
    Nothing Compares 2 U - Prince
    Halo - Beyoncé
    Warwick Avenue - Duffy
    Hallelujah - Buckley's, I think
    Valerie - The Zutons

... in the next week. Presumably most of them are simple enough chords, haven't really checked them out yet though.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Want lessons? :D

Possibly, i'll see if I can get back to form over the coming weeks before I say anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭dasdog

I listen to Jazz mostly these days but I can't play Jazz guitar for shyte - so now and again I go back to my metal/rock roots and see if I can learn a tune. I found a really good youtube video of how to play Slayers' Raining Blood recently....didn't take long to "nail it down" but holy crap its fast. It does sound hilarious on an acoustic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hand injury meant I couldn't play bass for almost 2 months. Currently relearning with YYZ and Natural Science by Rush. Not the most difficult basslines ever, but still tricky enough that I need to take my time to get them down perfectly

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm learning Fur Elise. I'm all cluck* and have 17 thumbs and no wrists.

Its coming but slowly. I am learning up to the point where Beethoven seems to channel some sort of 19th century oompah-oompah army band leader and loses it. Seriously. WTF? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQTTFUtMSvQ

DeV.
    *gaming slang for being as physically coordinated as a bag of broomhandles and elastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Piano
    Since I have an exam next week I'm trying to learn a "song without words" by Mendelssohn I only began to put hands-together last week (exam was sprung on me!). It is really frustrating as there are a long of finger-switches and it's hard to get it to sound smooth as there's no pedal and it was be very hard to play some notes slurred and other notes detatched with the same hand.

For my exam I have a Gigue by Handel and a Tarantelle by Prokofiev which are more or less learned. The Handel is very technical and while it sounds better quite fast I have to slow it down a bit to get it technically accurate. The Prokofiev can be a bit annoying as there are a long of leaps on black notes and my clumsy, stubby fingers tend to fall off black notes.

Violin
    Has it really been 6 months?! Apparently so, I had my grade peices pretty much learned before Christmas so now I'm on to more difficult pieces in my book. There's a nice one called "Skye boat song". Also "Kalinka" and "The old Bazaar in Cairo" to learn staccato. Still need to get the hang of vibrato.

Singing
    I have all the pieces for my LC music practical more or less learned. 3 of them I sang for my exam in December so I wouldn't say I'm "learning" them right now. Really the only one I have trouble with is the Cadenza at the end of "Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera. It's all very well being able to sing a high B if the preceeding cadenza is impressive enough.

This post probably makes me seem way more musical than I am, I really don't practice all that much unless I'm coming up to an exam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I'm only playing guitar since Xmas. I'm learning Behind Blue eyes "The Who", Sweet Child of mine "GnR", and Wanted dead or Alive "Bon Jovi. All Guitar hero inspired. So is playing the guitar to be honest. My girlfriend was sick of me sitting infront of the TV with a toy guitar so she got me a real one. Best thing ever.

The songs I'm learing are beond my skill level by miles, I can play them all slowly.
    Songs I can play are things like Wild thing (must be the first song everyone learns) House of the rising sun, and a few other simple open chord songs.lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

On Bass :

Baggy Trousers - Madness
    Black Cow - Steely Dan
    Manifest Destiny - Jamiraquoi?

Advertisement