Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you currently playing/learning?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Splatterly

I just bought myself a Mandolin, just because I really want to learn an instrument, it was in a sale and I thought it was a nice instrument. I have also bought "Absolute Beginner Mandolin" and I've started trying to teach myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

this week it's 'Trouble' by Mr Ray LaMontagne..

Lovely tune - have to sing it a bit lower than yer man though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i learned this the other day and made a vid :)

other than that ive been learning bucketheads big sur moon, steve vai's warm regards and my own stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Seek and Destroy..Metallica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Fool For Your Lovin by Whitesnake

The original, not the hair metal version with Vai. I am not dissing it from a purist point of view, rather from a "I am a bit crap and couldnt possibly figure out a Vai solo if my life depended it" angle.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I don't play the piano, but am learning Feelin' Good (the Muse version) on it by transferring notes across from the guitar.

Learning lots of stuff off Metallica - Ride the Lighting, mainly by ear, but had the tab for Fade to Black so used that. I now have a sore shoulder from playing the speedy rythm bits on other songs. No more learning for a while! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

In between writing stuff for my own band I'm currently revisiting some old classics - Therapy's Troublegum on the bass and Fear Factory's Demanufacture on the guitar. The riffs themselves aren't too hard to learn but getting up to speed and maintaining that speed is a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I'm a beginner on bass so I've been learning a lot of Death From Above lately and I'm starting to Slap as well so Rage Against the Machines Take the Power Back is what I'm at now...Actually does anyone have any tips on slap bass while im at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frany

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm learning Fur Elise. I'm all cluck* and have 17 thumbs and no wrists.

Its coming but slowly. I am learning up to the point where Beethoven seems to channel some sort of 19th century oompah-oompah army band leader and loses it. Seriously. WTF? :)

I was learning it too and but recently,
    I got a pain on my left baby finger
    so I stopped opening the piano lid.:(
    I feel time is crawling like a snail without piano practice.

I think it's from the poor posture
    so I'm currently looking for a piano tutor.
    I'm unhappy without piano practice.;(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Message in a Bottle and Synchronicity II by the Police, I've a friend who plays bass, so we're gonna try get the tight.

For myself; Rock n Roll Hoochie Koo (manageable) That Smell (beyond my skill, but I'm trying) and Casey Jones (to improve my improv ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Playing what I always used to play, going back and learning it currently! 'The Baby Elephant Walk' for the guitar. It's just EPIC! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Im very slowly learning For The Love Of God by Vai , the magority of it isnt too hard but when yaget to the faster technical parts im struggling a bit , i know all the theory , but i really need to work on my right and left hnd co-ordination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

The Cait Sith Theme from FFVII

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

RHRN wrote: »
    The Cait Sith Theme from FFVII

**** yes :D I learned Tifa's Theme on piano a while ago, Nobuo Uematsu's great!

At the moment I'm learning Chopin's Prelude No.6 Op. 28 in B minor, it's gorgeous.

And Deerhoof's My Purple Past on drums. Greg Saunier's my favourite drummer at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Just a question I'm currently developing my pull-off technique and want to know is it only a finger-based movment or does the movement come from the elbow joint? I read when bending strings the major force of movement should come from the elbow in a movement similar to turning a dial, does the same principle apply when doing pull-offs just doing it the opposite way?

Opinions? Thanks

all in the fingers, in a gentle movement really nothing to big going on here

as for bends no idea where the elbow comes in dont think i do anything like that just some finger dexterity and strength, in a way your wrist and forearm may come into it more since it may twist a bit for the extra leverage your using to bend

as for me im working on writing a solo for a Bmin song :) ...Bmin to a Gadd9 progression its quite nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

-=al=- wrote: »

as for me im working on writing a solo for a Bmin song :) ...Bmin to a Gadd9 progression its quite nice

Post it up when your done, and you prob have this site but its a great backing track generator> http://12bar.de/backing_midi.php

Ive a bit of time off work so im learning loads of songs!

kings of leon - trani yesterday(which there were no good tabs for:rolleyes:)

and a load of acoustic songs for my camping trip soon! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭fourmations

learned "plug in baby" recently for guitar - great to play

learning bass at the mo as well
    so playing primus & jamiroquoi tunes

ciao

learned "plug in baby" recently for guitar - great to play

learning bass at the mo as well
    so playing primus & jamiroquoi tunes

ciao

Primus - Shake hands with beef! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I was learnin' 21 Guns by Green Day on guitar today. Should have it down completely tomorrow. :)

i picked up that song ^^ in less than 21 seconds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

well la de da!

I'm not a guitarist... I'm a bassist who happens to play guitar the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭fourmations

king-stew wrote: »
    Primus - Shake hands with beef! ;)

hey stew, nice one!

learned a few easyish primus numbers last night
    "too many puppies", "those damn blue collar tweekers"
    and "to defy the laws of tradition"

cool stuff!

cheers

my new task is:

My fingers are aching already :p

Drifting - Andy McKee.

It's another couple of weeks job.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I just received Sheets of Sound vol 1 and 2 which is crammed full of stuff which will keep me busy for the next 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dave Total

Im learning techniques off a dvd called Accelerate you acoustic guitar playing, its great even if my patience isnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Johny Be Good - Judas Priest version.

Although the strings on my electric are not in good shape, i'm currently learning it on acoustic :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I've been practicing singing along with playing guitar a fair bit lately. Working on Your Ex-Lover is Dead by Stars, The Crane Wife by The Decemberists, Losing My Religion, I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab (not sounding too good - Ben Gibbard is best left alone, not weakly imitated) and Just Watch the Fireworks by Jimmy Eat World.

Shame I can't sing at all though.

Advertisement