Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Do older TVs work with DVD recorders?

• 11-01-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

I have a 10yr old portable TV - that is connected up to a DVD recorder...works fine BUT

In order to get a TV signal via antennae - I have to turn off the DVD and plug in
    antennae directly to TV?

Other times, i have to turn off and back on the DVD player just to get the menu up on the screen

Would I still have to do this - I had a newer TV?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

When it "works fine", how is the tv and dvd player connected (using what lead SCART, RCA [red white yellow] ... )?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Judging by the issue, I'd be pretty sure it's Scart he's using.

What make is the TV? It's not a Sharp is it?

You generally wouldn't have that problem with a newer set (though Panasonic insist on a contrived way of switching between tuner and AV but its still possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

its Panasonic!

Connection is Euro-AV...same as SCART?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

anyone anymore ideas on this one?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I have seen similar issues to this - I think that the TV is giving priority to the SCART input, can;t think of a suitable workaround.

Ritz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bilbert55

I've come around this fault a few times. Whilst the DVD recorder is active the scart sends 12v's up pin 8 of the scart lead and this switches the TV to AV.

If you disconnect the cable going into pin 8 then the TV doesn't get the 12v signal and wont switch over automatically. This means that you have to select AV on your remote every time you want to use your DVD, but it also stops the DVD picture coming through when u want to watch TV (RF).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

Hope this helps!

byte

Does pressing the AV button not take it out of Scart/DVD mode and into TV? It did for some Pannies. Newer ones have a seperate AV and TV button.

Otherwise, your best solution is what Bilbert said.

You could get a Scart-Phono cable, and then into a phono-scart adaptor, this would eliminate the Pin8 power, though would also eliminate RGB.

byte wrote: »
    Does pressing the AV button not take it out of Scart/DVD mode and into TV? It did for some Pannies. Newer ones have a seperate AV and TV button.

Some of the new pannies have a Tv and a AV button on the remote.

If you want to switch to AV - then u press the AV button.

If you want to switch back to the TV (Aerial/RF feed) then you press TV.

byte

Yeah, I know, I have one.

But for the older ones, I can't remember if just pressing AV button again brought you back to TV, or pressing a button that looks like a box [ ]. Something worked anyway, but can't recall which.

yea, it had a box button, if you were in AV it would bring ya back to TV and the same if you were in menu or teletext,

Panasonic, gotta love em!

• Advertisement
Advertisement