Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rules regarding Automatics when stopped

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sungear wrote: »
    right there the ones that do the rules? what do they expect for the test?
    Leave it in D.

Regardless of the opinions given here, I think it makes the driver look more composed rather than constantly moving the gearstick, appling parking brake etc.

By the way sungear, is your GF aware that, if she passes in an auto, she can only apply for a restricted (code 78) licence?

If she wishes to drive a manual, she'll have to get another Learner Permit and be accompanied etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

As I said earlier it doesn't really matter as far as the test is concerned. If she's stopped at lights for a while and puts it in N, or if she leaves it in D either with the handbrake on or holding it on the the footbrake, she won't receive a mark either way. Maybe that says more about the standard of our driving test, but tell her not to worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

Well aware, she couldnt manage to change gears and observe at the same time,it just wasnt natural for her, think she scared the hell out of a few instructors in their cars already and still does in her auto, this way is much easier for her, maybe in the future after she gets used to being on the road she could do lessons and test for manual licence. get over this hurdle first.

Ok Thanks Brian, and all for opinions one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

copacetic wrote: »
    Jeepers, never noticed this was learning to drive, sorry Wish. I thought I was doing the guy a favour before he really got hammered!

C'mon, move it to Motors for the lulz!!
    Ah no, that would be cruel! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RedzDrivingScho

Hi Sungear.....

After reading your post here's my tupence worth to add to the confusion......

I'm assuming you're asking the question from a safety point of view...or the correct procedure to adopt......

My understanding is an automatic's benefit is that it has auomatic gear selection for when the car is going forward and selects the correct gear for the speed and so on......the D in an automatic is not a panacea for all driving situations and all talk about torque convertors and pressure plates and whatever is not really relevant to the question asked....

When stopped at a trafic lights for example the safest thing is to secure the car with the handbrake and remove the driving force by putting it into neutral.....you would do it in a manual...no difference....when moving off most autos wont go into drive until the brake is pressed so press the brake....selct D and then release the handbrake then footbrake when you want to move off......which is the same as a manual.....select first gear, prepare the car and then release the handbrake......

My 7 series has a foot parking brake and it's a pain to be applying it all the time so I use the P on the selector and do the same routine as previous when moving off.......I think your concerns about roll back are unnecessary as you will be holding the car on the footbrake until you move.

This is what i do and I feel it's the safest thing for me........I could never accept it's safer to sit at lights with just the footbrake securing the car.

Hope that helps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

sungear wrote: »
    All,
    I'm a bit pissed as she wont take free lessons as she refuses to take constructive criticism but she insists on paying 40 euro to drive her own car to listen to some people who it seems to me are not professional/know what the hell they are talking about

Perhaps she feels more comfortable taking lessons from them. It can be very hard to take driving lessons from a relative/other half/close friend regardless of how good or bad a driver they may be. Most learner drivers are told not to take "free driving lessons" from their parents and the same could be said for girlfriends/boyfriends getting lessons from their other half. Now maybe the intstructors don't know what they are taking about but thats for your girlfriend to decide. You might think your offering constructive criticism but your girlfriend might just see it as criticism and learning to drive can be stressful enough without someone sitting beside you commenting on everything you do. I had to ban my dad from my car after one to many "helpful comments".

From the replies on this thread it seems to be very much open to interpretation as to what the correct thing to do is so it could be your right and the instructor is right but for your girlfriend let her stick with the instructor if that is what she wants as they will be the ones getting her ready for her test.

Redz
    I appreciate the reply,
    I was told by instructors/relative never foot on brake to secure as if you're shunted head will go down and foot up and of you'll go into traffic/pedestrians or whatever, plus I think any tired/experienced/inexperienced/ driver could get distracted and take foot off, anyway I guess everyone has their opinions.
    I'd like if it was clarified somewhere officially exactly what was required so there would be no ambiguity.

Ztoical
    I agree she probably is better off with an instructor but she also says to me, "ohh my instructor says that too".
    I had a relative give me the basics then went the instructor route years back when starting out myself, looking back I had some variable instructors but did get a really good one, did few lessons and practiced myself (as it was allowed back then) I think the instructor route is better as it eliminates the chance of picking up bad habits of a relative who may also have learned from a relative.
    I still think lessons too expensive, autos are rarer and one of the schools only allows 2 hour lessons.You need to get out there and do some driving practice yourself at times, practice what you learned from instructor understand what you're doing and why, if it goes wrong how to correct it, learn and not re-do the same error.
    Unfortunately I think the blanket ban on learners is more knee jerk solution rather than well thought out and that limits things.

Advertisement