Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty TV issue- advise needed

Options
  • 11-01-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

My tv that I got for Christmas has just broken. Nothing is showing up on the screen. I have tried plugging it out and in again and there is no joy. I also checked the tv leads but it looks like the LCD has gone on it.

It was bought in Currys on the 20th of December. But there's a catch. The tv I got does not match the one on the receipt.

The one I got is a Matsui 19" HD LCD; That's the one that is broken.

The one that is on the receipt is a 15" Matsui LCD DVD combo. In other words my Dad was given the wrong tv from the warehouse staff

I am going to have to bring the faulty TV back to the shop tomorrow but due to the stupidity of the Currys staff, I don't have proof of purchase of the Matsui 19" but rather proof of purchase of a 15" DVD TV combo, which I have never received.

Do I have any rights in this circumstance?
    I would appreciate any advise on this matter. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Oh dear. Is it that you got the wrong receipt, or the wrong TV in the first place.

From my experience:
    You need to have proof of purchase, but that proof doesn't have to be in the form of a receipt. If you paid by cheque or credit card, you could show them the statement. That said, if you paid in cash, I think you're bunched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The mistake should have been highlighted to them when the TV was first received. As it stands, you thought you'd get away with a better TV than you paid for, a 19" as opposed to the 15" that was paid for, but you've been caught out.

Since it's only been a short while since you bought it, you could claim that this is the first chance you've had to bring it back, and also that it wasn't working when you got it. This might work. Expect them to be a bit pissed that you didn't highlight their mistake in the first place, and expect them to resist you as you basically have no proof of purchase, and it looks like you thought you'd pull a fast one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Scottie99

How did you pay...Visa? Then there is your proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Scottie99 wrote: »
    How did you pay...Visa? Then there is your proof of purchase.

but if his receipt is for the wrong item then the amount taken from the credit card will be wrong too......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jor el wrote: »
    The mistake should have been highlighted to them when the TV was first received. As it stands, you thought you'd get away with a better TV than you paid for, a 19" as opposed to the 15" that was paid for, but you've been caught out.

Since it's only been a short while since you bought it, you could claim that this is the first chance you've had to bring it back, and also that it wasn't working when you got it. This might work. Expect them to be a bit pissed that you didn't highlight their mistake in the first place, and expect them to resist you as you basically have no proof of purchase, and it looks like you thought you'd pull a fast one too.

Not necessarily. The TV he got was a 19" TV; the one he was meant to receive was a 15.4" TV/DVD Combo. The price difference if any wouldn't be very big, going by most lines. For example I have a 26" TV, which cost the same as the 22" TV/DVD Combo. So he hasn't really been 'caught out', I'd imagine. Not his fault either, all he has to say is that he never thought to look at the receipt but only noticed now the discrepancy. Most shops would just accept that. Happens all the time where I work and no manager bats and eyelid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Thanks for your reponses.

Just checked the receipt and it has written on it " collected" and the name of the sales guy. Surely it is the fault of the sales person to make sure that he gave the buyer the correct tv??

I don't know why people think that I am pulling a fast one. I only saw the TV on Christmas day. My dad spent about 20 minutes looking for the receipt and never realised he was given the wrong tv.

This was an honest mistake but I will be pissed off if I am left with a faulty TV through no fault of my own.

I will bring the TV to currys tomorrow and keep you updated

In relation to the price not being that much in the difference between the two TVs, if there's any difference, Currys will know, as they will know how much they were selling that model of TV for.

However, you *may* be able to pull a fast one on them. If you go to argos, they have a computer that keeps a record of all their sales (from the past month i think?). If you buy in Dunnes, they have a computer with all of the store's stock, and its automatically updated at night. So, using both of those stores (and assuming Currys use one of those models to keep track of their sales)

The argos part is: If you dont present a receipt, but you can give a very close time/date that the TV was bought, they may accept that as a form of proof of purchase (as you obviously DID buy it there if you know when it was bought) and (the dunnes part) their system will show that they have one less in stock than they should (meaning you, again, did buy it there).

Again, I dont know how currys operate, and im making it up using Dunnes and Argos' way of doing things.

Do you still have the box/manuals/etc. off the TV in good condition?

swingking wrote: »
    I don't know why people think that I am pulling a fast one.

I said, from Curry's point of view, it will look like you're pulling a fast one. You got a better TV than was paid for, and you're only highlighting it to them after it broke down.

Since your receipt has a different TV on it, you'll need some other way to prove you actually got that TV in Currys. If they can't match the TV to the sale, then it could theoretically have been bought anywhere, and they'd be under no obligation to do anything about it.

Then again, maybe it'll be fine. You can only try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

swingking wrote: »
    Just checked the receipt and it has written on it " collected" and the name of the sales guy. Surely it is the fault of the sales person to make sure that he gave the buyer the correct tv??
    Not really since mistakes happen. It is technically the buyers responsibility to make sure they have the correct receipt and the correct product.

Its worth a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Update:

I went to Currys today with the Tv and explained the situation. They were happy to replace the TV and without any hassle.

I must say that I received excellent customer service from Currys today and just thought I would put in a good word for them

Well done. I have a brand new 19" philips tv because they were happy for me to pay extra.

• Advertisement

Result!

Interesting to see something good said about Curry's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 elle150

Obviously the staff in that shop did not use their "GOODS OUT" book. This procudure is in place to prevent what happen to you from happening. The most important thing when givening out goods to guests (customers) is to check that it is the right model.

Advertisement