Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children

Options
  • 11-01-2009 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

There has been a lot of talk here recently about women reaching a certain age and becoming 'desperate' and all that malarky.

If you want children and reach an age where its now or never would you look into having them without a man in your life?

By that I mean using a sperm donor or an unsuspecting one night stand or maybe a willing friend.

Or would you just accept that it's not going to happen for you?

I know some may suggest adoption but from the little I know of the subject, it takes years, singles are not viewed favourably and the chances of getting a newborn are virtually nil.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭CeilingCat

Peared wrote: »
    There has been a lot of talk about women reaching a certain age and becoming 'desperate' and all that malarky.

If you want children and reach an age where its now or never would you look into having them without a man in your life?

By that I mean using a sperm donor or an unsuspecting one night stand or maybe a willing friend.

Or would you just accept that it's not going to happen for you?

I know some may suggest adoption but from the little I know of the subject, it takes years, singles are not viewed favourably and the chance of getting a newborn are virtually nil.

I definately wouldn't go down the unsuspecting one night stand route. I don't think I could start off a baby's life by deceiving/tricking some guy.... apart from not being fair on the guy or the child, it could really come back to bite you.

Having already been a single mother for 15 years, I'd have to say I would prefer to have the father there as part of the family unit, and it would have to be someone I loved first and wanted to spend my life with, before babies were even discussed. I wouldn't change the way it happened with my first child - myself and the father weren't compatible, but he's there for my child and they have regular contact.

If I had a child with someone else and it didn't work out, then fine, no problem being a single mum again as long as the child and its father had a good relationship :). I think I'd rather forego more kids altogether though, than get pregnant in a panic because time was running out... if it's not meant to be, then it's not meant to be.

(I probably would feel a bit sad though :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

If I haven't met anyone by 35 I'll probably think about adoption or a sperm donor. Chances are equally good that I'd just accept it, though. I'd like to have kids but it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't happen. Still a lot of life to be lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I definitely would not do the one night stand route (STI's :eek: ) and it would not be fair on the fella (maybe would serve him right if he were stupid enough not to wear a condom)....

Sperm donor and adoption I would consider, however, I would prefer to have a partner to share the experience with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

its not something id like to think about yet..

i do want children. but if it got to the stage where it was now or never i think id probably just have to accept it. i hope id be ABLE to accept it. i dont think i could put myself through the process of adoption on my own, & i dont like the idea of sperm donation (& DEFINITELY not the one night stand route).

the thought of being in that position kind of depresses me.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Im almost 35 now but I was always petrified of being pregnant as I am a diabetic so I would have gone for adoption...nature intervened though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fetishphil

WHAT ON KIDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! at you age O! my god!!!!!! your pissed off .........who pissed you off? you do what you like ok!!!................ apart if it's from your doc than your in the s**t ....... if you like a hand with the one night stand call me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

fetishphil wrote: »
    WHAT ON KIDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! at you age O! my god!!!!!! your pissed off .........who pissed you off? you do what you like ok!!!................ apart if it's from your doc than your in the s**t ....... if you like a hand with the one night stand call me

My head hurts.
    What on earth are you trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

What in the name of...?

For the record weirdos, I am not anywhere near that age, nor am I in that situation and I definitely do not need a hand with a one night stand.

Go back to examining marigolds or whatever.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Any more shíte like that here and you're banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

If she wanted to have sex with her thumb, she would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I always said if I hit 35 with no man, I'd go down the sperm donor route. I have my own house and a good career. Then at 29 met my now hubbie, defo the preferred way, but had he not come along then yep the popsicle was preferrable to either a one night stand or the wrong man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I don't know how I feel about having my own kids. On the one hand, I love my niece and nephews, especially now that they're all school age and can hold conversations.
    On the other hand, I really like my alone time, and my understanding is that when you have your own kids, you don't get alone time. I think I may go insane under those circumstances. Additionally, I'm not very fond of young children and babies. They require too much work.
    But, should this change when I'm in my mid to late thirties, I would consider a sperm donor. I would also consider adoption, but that's a diffcult process.
    A lot of this would also depend on my financial stability. I would have to be very stable before considering taking care of a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Edser

(At least you gals have the option. It's much more difficult for us lads :confused: )

But realistically what's the difference between a doner and a one night stand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Wexford Girl

I'd probably adopt or use a sperm donor if i was in that situation.

People will say that a donor knowingly contributed but a one night stand didn't.

Although the lack of wearing a condom may make that point moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Edser wrote: »

Um, ethics? With a sperm donor, the donor has given his consent for a child to be made from his DNA. Tricking some randomer into knocking you up raises some serious moral questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

A name, a kiss, a date, a bed (?) a condom being left at home by a donor and a condom not being used by a ONS.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well for starters, as has already been mentioned, there's consent. Secondly, a donor would have been screened for STIs, whereas you couldn't be sure about a one night stand being disease free. Finally, my understanding is that there's usually a profile of the donor, so a prospective mother can choose what attributes may be passed on to her child, intelligence, athleticism, the ginge, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I think it would be a tough thing to do on one's own. My hat goes off to the single mums out there, a few friends of mine are in this position and it is not easy for them, esp one as she gets NO support AT ALL from her childs father....she has tried but has failed....the law is quite the ass in this regard really:rolleyes:, anyhoo, thats a topic for another day.

Basically I really admire my friends and how they are always smiling despite the tough times and what a credit to them their children are. Even if I was financially stable enough to contemplate having my own child, if say by the time I am in my late thirties and perhaps haven't settled down, well then I would take the attitude that perhaps Baby having wasn't meant for me, and instead volunteer to babysit on occassion for my friends and relish handing them back:D:D:D.

It's deffo not something I would plan on doing alone, i think I would rather have the support of a partner....eitherway, i am in NO rush to be having kids any time soon;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I personally don't want to have kids but if I did I'd go the sperm donor route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Edser

shellyboo wrote: »
    Um, ethics? With a sperm donor, the donor has given his consent for a child to be made from his DNA. Tricking some randomer into knocking you up raises some serious moral questions.
    Zaph wrote: »
    Well for starters, as has already been mentioned, there's consent. Secondly, a donor would have been screened for STIs, whereas you couldn't be sure about a one night stand being disease free. Finally, my understanding is that there's usually a profile of the donor, so a prospective mother can choose what attributes may be passed on to her child, intelligence, athleticism, the ginge, whatever.

Mmm, a ONS without adequate protection - consent is implied, no? :p

Some doner who has potentially been paid to knock one out or a doner you may possibly know and ask to 'help' out, but both may come back at some stage to get access to their progeny laeading to hassle, heartache, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i would definately consider sperm donor if by say 35 i've no kids. brianthebard has promised me his sperm when the time comes (hey, i'm that chick off the net who thought your hair was good enough for my babies? knock me up). i'll be having no gingers thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Mmm, a ONS without adequate protection - consent is implied, no? :p

Some doner who has potentially been paid to knock one out or a doner you may possibly know and ask to 'help' out, but both may come back at some stage to get access to their progeny laeading to hassle, heartache, etc.?

A ONS without adequate protection implies stupidity more than consent. I mean, there would have to be some deception going on there. Even ridiculously careless guys don't just lash it in there without at least asking if you're on the pill... what are you going to say? 'No, but I'm trying to get pregnant'??

And I'd say the hassle and heartache associated with a donor - someone who's given explicit consent - would be less than that associated with some randomer were you to tell him you're pregnant. Which would be the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

From a male perspective, a doner is anonymous, thus will have no obligations to the child and will not even know it exists. He will also generally be paid a fee.

This is not the case for an informal doner (a friend who comes to an arrangement) or a one night stand (that can be identified/traced). In the case of the former, there have been a number of cases where 'friends' donated and were later hit for child support.

Technically, even if anonymous a doner who can be traced is liable to pay child support or be sued for inheritance - and since they changed the law in the UK to allow this, there has been a collapse in 'donations' there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭McCABE1

At the end of the day, nobody in their right mind would have a one night stand, unprotected, with some random stranger, ( I hope). The risks are just frightening.
    If it were me I would definitely go down the sperm donor route, wouldnt bother me in the slightest. As long as I felt I was ready and financially stable for a kid then I'd do it. With wanting children, if its always been a top priority then its something that you shouldnt miss out on experiencing, just because you havent met the right person. And while the best possible scenario is a loving two parent family, I still believe that one parent can do a decent job also and provide a lovely home for a child.

shellyboo wrote: »
    A ONS without adequate protection implies stupidity more than consent. I mean, there would have to be some deception going on there. Even ridiculously careless guys don't just lash it in there without at least asking if you're on the pill... what are you going to say? 'No, but I'm trying to get pregnant'??

And I'd say the hassle and heartache associated with a donor - someone who's given explicit consent - would be less than that associated with some randomer were you to tell him you're pregnant. Which would be the right thing to do.

There are many many men who 'lash it in there' without asking any questions.

Sad but true.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Im almost 35 now but I was always petrified of being pregnant as I am a diabetic so I would have gone for adoption...nature intervened though!

Aaww Congrats Cathy!!!!!
    So Happy for teh pair of you :):):)

Jebus never mind man the panic stations.....35 is my imaginary start age for considering to have children. :confused:

I'm not considering these possibilities because it isn't going to happen to me. [insertfingersintoearholes]~LALALALALALALALALALA~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭AnnieB82

although I have a 6 month old now, if I were in that position I would definitely try and have a child somehow by the time I reached my mid 30s. I would probably have gone with a sperm donor if not in a relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

(At least you gals have the option. It's much more difficult for us lads :confused: )

I think your initial point was overlooked by your crashingly naive second comment, but it's true, at least girls do have a number of options open to them. It must be hard for guys who have always wanted children to accept they might not ever have them. It seems there are fewer guys who desperately want them compared to women...or is that just something that society makes us believe?

Advertisement