Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 Ignition problems

Options
  • 11-01-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,

I bought a 06 1.8 petrol Volvo S40 about 6 months, I'm starting to have problems with the ignition, when I turn the key the car the ignition turns over but the car fails to start, this is a regular occurance. The car got a full service shortly after I bought it. Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem or if it will be an expensive problem to fix.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You need to have it looked at, it's impossible to say what the problem is without examining the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Shane_77

I'm thinking of dropping it into a garage for them to look at but I'm afraid it will cost me a fortune, the problem seems to be getting worse as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ow does it start? do you hae to keep it turning over for ages?

is there any warning lights on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Shane_77

I generally let it turn over for maybe 5 seconds, if it doesn't start then I turn off the ignition and try again, some times it start perfectly other times it takes 2 or 3 attempts to start, some times when it doesn't start it seems to turnover faster than normal. There is definitely no warning lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It could be the starter engine. Will cost aprox 150 euro + labour.
    First try with another battery though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What you describe sounds very similar to a problem I've come across on more than one S40. I can't remember the exact details but I reckon any Volvo main dealer will be aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Hi,

I have had the same problem - and on one occassion had to call RAC as couldn't start it at all :mad:

I brought it in for a service (I have an 07 volvo S40) and they said that it was due an software upgrade which would sort out the problem (seemingly it is a known problem).

IMO this hasn't fixed the problem. I've it booked to bring it back in next week :confused: as I'm fed up with it.

Advertisement