Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points for Law?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Hey, just curious, i know no one can predict the points until we see in august, but does anyone expect points for law to go up? there is at leat 3 new law degrees starting between dcu and tcd, and nuim started 2 last year... unless lots of more people decide to do law the points cant really go up can they??? i'm hoping to do law in Nuig!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I'm pretty much in the same boat as yourself.I want to do law in UCD.With the downturn in the economy and the fact that a huge number of lawyers are being laid off all across the country,I think that loads of people are going to be turned off Law.In addition to this,as you said there are three new Law courses at University level.Personally,I can't see the points for law going up.(Maybe in NUIG though as there was a ten-point drop last year).
    But who knows,there might be unforcasted surge in students interested in law degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

GA361 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as yourself.I want to do law in UCD.With the downturn in the economy and the fact that a huge number of lawyers are being laid off all across the country,I think that loads of people are going to be turned off Law.In addition to this,as you said there are three new Law courses at University level.Personally,I can't see the points for law going up.(Maybe in NUIG though as there was a ten-point drop last year).
    But who knows,there might be unforcasted surge in students interested in law degrees.
    ya i know what you mean! the one thing i am worried about is that law seems to be the new arts! but i can understand that most people dont really know exactly what they want to do in 4 years time! but as you said, with the downturn maybe many will be turned off law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Alot of people do seem to be of the oppinion that Law is indeed the new Arts and indeed the Law Degree in NUIM is actually counted as a B.A.
    But that doesn't bother me at all because if you are applying for a law related job(eg Solicitor Apprenticeship,The Gardaí),a Law degree is by far the more desireable of the two to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

GA361 wrote: »
    Alot of people do seem to be of the oppinion that Law is indeed the new Arts and indeed the Law Degree in NUIM is actually counted as a B.A.
    But that doesn't bother me at all because if you are applying for a law related job(eg Solicitor Apprenticeship,The Gardaí),a Law degree is by far the more desireable of the two to have.
    ya i have to completely agree with u on that one! lets just hope points keep going down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I've heard lots of people saying that Law is the new Arts :(

I'm hoping the points go down, tbh, as I'm sure most people who want to do it do. It does all depend on demand, so all you can do is hope that people are a bit more hesitant because of the recession & employment prospects. I don't personally think they'll go up, I reckon they'll remain pretty much the same, but that could just be wishful thinking :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement