Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level maths 2009 - too late to start now?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm considering sitting the higher level maths papers this june. Do you think is it too late to start studying now? I've an A1 in leaving cert ordinary level from years ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

Should have said i have all day every day to get stuck in to the studying. I'm prepared for lots of hard work. I've no problem getting grinds either. This has been a bit of a last minute decision and is linked into further study which requires me to have a decent grade at higher level maths. Any help and info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you have an ability at maths, and you've 6 months solid to study it (6 months without other subjects to study for too), then I'd say go for it. But, if you're not mathematically orientated, then you're going to struggle. If you really want it, go for it, you've nothing to lose. But, it's not going to be any way easy.

I definitely have mathematic ability. Only reason i didn't do higher level first time round was time constraints and it wasn't a requirement for my college course, so i put my time into all the other subjects. Didn't attend maths classes and didn't study and finished each paper in about twenty minutes flat and walked away with an A1! I sound like i'm blowing my own trumpet now but that's the way it was :-) I was lucky.I think i'm going to go for it. First thing tmro i'll sort out books etc and drop into the local secondary school and ask can i sit the exams there. Anything else i need to do or sort out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Make sure you register for the exam, and... well, sort out CAO application (deadline is the 1st of February at 5.15 pm or something like that). I'd basically just echo what JammyDodger said, if you're willing to put in the work and focus on it entirely it seems possible. If you need any help with parts of the course etc., feel free to post here! (There's also a Maths Forum.)

Make sure you pick up exam papers too, they'd probably be the most valuable thing that you could get. And if you're really up for doing it, it's the kind of thing that you'd have to start asap, literally tomorrow if possible!

And as PurpleFistMixer said, if you're ever stuck don't hesitate to ask questions here or in the maths forum. Best of luck with it all anyway, hope it all works out.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. My plan for tomorrow morning is to call in to the local secondary school first to enquire about sitting the exams there and ask for some pointers on the cao end of things and then straight down the town to pick up papers and books etc. I'm all fired up just thinking about it. I'll also check out the maths forum. Thanks again guys. Wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

The gap between Honours and Pass level maths is ridicoulous to say the least. We finished the maths course in Dec ths year which is 12 months in total. This was working flat out with the best maths teacher I've ever known. 7 classes a week as we took a additional morning class last year.

Advertisement