Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xp and No desktop

• 11-01-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭

I have a DEll Dimension 5000, This is running XP Pro SP3. It will boot into windows and give me a blank desktop, I have went into safe mode and did a system restore with no sucess. I get the safe crap

I have created a user within safe mode and have the option to click on the new user in normal mode but it sits on a desktop with no icons

I have booted from the XP cd and attemped a repair, it is looking for a password that I havent got..

I have booted from ERD commander to reset the password and this still will not let me into Reapir mode

I have scanned the harddrive as a Slave disk in another Pc and it found no virus or spyware

What else can i do ?

Comments

You can leave the password field blank if you don't have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

ive tried that and no good :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

just to clarify , you have desktop in safe mode ?

run ccleaner, / msconfig / autoruns and turn off as much startup stuff as you can to rule it out

you may need to reinstall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

i've done all that, no joy :( got the password and ran a repair, Also chkdsk /p found loads of disk errors. I have tried an inplace upgrade and it now stuck in a reboot cycyle !!! Clean build time. I spent all day going in circles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Do you have a desktop with no icons? is the task bar there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

can you hit ctrl alt delete when your blank desktop loads and try file run and type in explorer.exe
    that might bring up your desktop.
    if it does then your shell isnt loading when starting. which is unusual.
    see how that goes
    (following on from unregistered)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

right click on blank desktop and check if "show desktop" is enabled

Advertisement