Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 Flights

• 11-01-2009 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Im planning on going to San Diego for 3 months this summer and at the moment Im looking at flights. One of my mates has just said that we have to book flights with the same people we get our J1 Visa's off - this doesn't really make any sense to me but is there any truth to this?

What I really want to know is, can I book flights with Delta airlines (as they seem to be the best value) or do I have to do it with someone else, depending on where I get my J1 Visa?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

if you are going through usit or whoever you have to book your flights with them. they will give you a list of flight options times dates and carriers

so i went threw sayit last year had to book my flights with them and i flew with delta. if you have to have a connecting flight i strogly advise it dosnt go threw jfk as it will be delayed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

tdc wrote: »
    Im planning on going to San Diego for 3 months this summer and at the moment Im looking at flights. One of my mates has just said that we have to book flights with the same people we get our J1 Visa's off - this doesn't really make any sense to me but is there any truth to this?

What I really want to know is, can I book flights with Delta airlines (as they seem to be the best value) or do I have to do it with someone else, depending on where I get my J1 Visa?

of course it makes sense, USIT, Go4Less arent charities they make their money off the flights. anyway you have to book em with your J1 provider....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just wondering does anyone know if it is possible to get a J1 visa independently of USIT & Sayit ? Like apply directly to the embassy yourself ? And then go and buy flights from whoever you like...?
    Or is it a cartel between the two agencies ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you can do it yourself but getting a sponser would be tricky and there would be loads of hoops to jump through. i would imagine it is quite difficult...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Flights were about €200 more expensive than corresponding flights I checked on the internet. Which is quite a mark up. As far as I'm aware if you apply with Usit through the free visa programme you must take the gold insurance option which again is very expensive I'm told.

As regards the flights, we got lucky in that BA was one of the carriers and I specifically asked could we go with them, ended up costing €627 with a connecting flight to Heathrow with Aer Lingus included. Same flight was €448 on the BA website.

I understand Usit and Sayit must make money somewhere and from what I see it doesn't appear to be too much trouble to them at all.

BastardPrince, are you affiliated in any way with those companies?

• Advertisement

Yeah I just looked into flights and the J1 and between having to buy their insurance, their flights, the SEVIS fee, the embassy interviews,the time waiting for a social security number, etc I reckon I won't bother with the J1. Sounds like too much hassle for my liking, plus the fact that your probably going to be down around €1500 before you even get a pay packet ( assuming you do get one ).
    I'm going take that €1500 and travel Ecuador, Peru & Bolivia for 2 months instead, seems like way more fun:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

RATM wrote: »
    Yeah I just looked into flights and the J1 and between having to buy their insurance, their flights, the SEVIS fee, the embassy interviews,the time waiting for a social security number, etc I reckon I won't bother with the J1. Sounds like too much hassle for my liking, plus the fact that your probably going to be down around €1500 before you even get a pay packet ( assuming you do get one ).
    I'm going take that €1500 and travel Ecuador, Peru & Bolivia for 2 months instead, seems like way more fun:pac:

obviously its your money and you should spend it however you want but you have no idea what an amazing time your missing out on. again it cost me 700/750 euro all in to get to boston and after i got off my ass to actually apply for my ssn i got it in around 10 days

meh, given the choice between working for minimum wage in a relatively expensive city or trekking the Andes and lying on Pacific beaches without lifting a finger for a couple of months I'd know what I'd take:D Horses for courses I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

RATM wrote: »

it actually very little hassle i just walked into USIT today and sorted out all that crap for a bit over 800e, with the interview the only thing left to do.

Advertisement