Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you fail the NCT for having two different types of tyres on your front wheels?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Just a quick one there lads, gonna be putting my car through the NCT soon enough and i'm wondering if you can fail on having different tyres on the front? i have a continental on the front left and a michelin on the front right. i got this from the NCT website but it is vague enough:

3.Wheels : Tyres
    Tyre Condition
    Tyre Specification
    Tyre Tread
    Wheels
    Spare Wheel and Carrier
    Wheel Bearings

Anyone have any experience? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Just a quick one there lads, gonna be putting my car through the NCT soon enough and i'm wondering if you can fail on having different tyres on the front? i have a continental on the front left and a michelin on the front right. i got this from the NCT website but it is vague enough:

3.Wheels : Tyres
    Tyre Condition
    Tyre Specification
    Tyre Tread
    Wheels
    Spare Wheel and Carrier
    Wheel Bearings

Anyone have any experience? Thanks

I really don't think so, though nothing would surprise me about that sham of a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

no they must be roadworthy is all...i passed my nct a few hours ago...i didnt think i would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tismenotyou

yes your car can fail but only if the thread is different !!
    different makes of tyre are ok as long as the threads are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

dont know if the DOE is the same on tyres but i have 3 pirelli and one kumo tyre (all radial) and it was fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

No, not at all, once the thread is OK and the condition of the Tyre is good, you will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You can have different brands but not cross ply mixed with radials.

You can have different brands but not cross ply mixed with radials.

yup just said that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

They must be same size tyre on the same axle eg 195/50r15 on both front wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

yup just said that lol
    I was just clarifying it as some may think that you meant the actual thread pattern as opposed to the ply type. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

NCT will fail if the tyres arent the same speed/load rating on the same axle. EG 195/65/15 91T, brand/thread difference shouldn't matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TREAD not THREAD.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Alun wrote: »
    TREAD not THREAD.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

oops we`re all dyslexic !! haha sorry "tread"

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

great stuff lads, thanks for coming back so quickly there,i will check the loading tomorrow, doesnt look like its gonna be an issue which is great news

Advertisement