Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tubridy vs Kenny ding dong!

• 11-01-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2009/jan/11/kenny-digs-spurs-into-tubridy/
    The row between Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny over who should present primetime slots on radio and television has escalated, with Kenny telling the younger broadcaster to slow down, earn his spurs and enjoy what he has.

Tubridy last week suggested that his morning radio show should be lengthened, an extension which would eat into Kenny's time slot. He also said he wanted to move his TV show Tubridy Tonight to Friday nights, which is when Kenny hosts The Late Late Show.

why don't they just get rid of the show at 12, its completely a waste of time and just plays cheesey old music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Because Tubridy's show is crap and Kenny's show is the best thing on Irish radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Kenny's getting paranoid IMHO. Especially, perhaps, about the criticism he's come in for re. the Late Late. Those hammerings he gets in the papers about his wooden presenting style have got to hurt. Radio shows get shortened and lengthened all the time so that's possibly less of an issue. Tubridy wanting to get a Friday night slot...now that's a different matter altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kenny should take step back and let Tubbers have the LLS, do many peeps think its not devalued currency in 2009? As for radio two hours of Ryan in its current format/vibe would be too long.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think Tubbers show has got better over the last few month. I wouldn't have been a fan at all, however the show has picked up a bit. He genuinely seams more interested in his guests and the topic he's dealing with. His sneery coldness of past would appear to have lifted. I believe the guy is having regular sex now after a lenghty hiatus. This fornication would seam to be just the tonic he needed. However I think it'd be daft to meddle with Kenny's time slot. 10-12 is a perfect fit. If anything perhaps Tupperware's show could extend backwards. Kick off at 8.30 maybe?

On another note: Kenny as a jurno on Wed. and Thur. last week was a truely sublime piece of radio. He interviewed a woman from D4 hotel group promoting a rather too good to be true offer. Kenny's sniffers were as alert as a jaguar's. Low and behold he had the same lady on the next day explaining away that indeed the offer was far to good to be true. This was clinical radio expertly handled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

why don't they just get rid of the show at 12, its completely a waste of time and just plays cheesey old music
    I really don't understand this "I don't like Programme 'A'. I think Programme 'A' should be taken off the air because I don't like it. I have no idea how many people DO like programme 'A', but I don't and that's all that matters, so it should be taken off the air" attitude.

Perhaps they haven't gotten rid of it because, by volume of listener contributions, it's by far the most popular non-news programme on the station, generating almost double the amount of Emails, letters, calls and texts than its nearest rival?

As for Cheesy music? The designation of Cheese is of course a very personal opinion, but listening to the show in the last week or so would have given listeners probably their only opportunity to hear artists like Otis Redding, Willie Nelson, The Beatles, BB King, Marianne Faithful, Joni Mitchell and Frank Sinatra being played by the state broadcaster.

The show may not be intendedly targeted at you, but there's no compulsory attendance order issued to make you listen to it, that's the great thing about figuring out whether something is for you or not. (I, For instance, figured out that the reason I don't listen to 2fm or today fm at lunchtime is because I don't own a tuned up Opel Corsa, and I'm not a moron. You, perhaps will figure out that you maybe shouldn't listen to an Easy listening oldies show aimed at people of a certain age if you arent yet of that age and dont like easy listening music)

The Midday show on 1 serves a massive audience who DO like it, and who would no doubt be upset were it to be bulldozed from the schedules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Tubridy is a bit too smug for me. Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to notice he's a bit of a conservative in his views which worries me a little.

I agree about Tubridy overall he is better though I reckon its when he is talking one-to-one about pretty hard cicumstances that he is at his best oddly enough. It doesn't happen that often (tis basicly fluff) but he's very effective at drawing people out - his interview with a young woman who has Cystic Fibrosis about 2 years back was superb. Empathetic without being cloying, able to bring out her inate good humour and a pretty devastating critique of the bureaucratic, hide bound nature of the health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Kenny - great on the radio, crap on tv.
    Tubridy - crap on the radio, fairly crap on tv.

Tubridys radio style bugs me no end. Hes like Derek Davis in that no matter what subject Davis is talking about he'll always bring it back to fishing or goddamn sailing. With Tubridy he can't talk movies, music or books without bring up Chittychitty bang bang and his fascination with the child-catcher, Frank Sinatra and swing or Roald Dahl. I swear the man was born 30 years too late.

That and he thinks hes irelands answer to Letterman and Leno. And he's a smug git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Tubridy tonight is light cheesy entertainment and the Late Late show is also light entertainment.

I miss the days of the Late Late Show being mainly current affairs and issues that effect everyone out there. Kenny Live was enough light entertainment for the rest of the weekend..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Why do RTÉ tie themselves in knots about Kenny v Tubridy? Is internal angst the best way of keeping those two on their toes? Maybe they thrive on it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Tubridy had a 2 hour slot there on one of the days after Christmas. I guess now that he got at taste of it he wants more. I don't listen to him regularly enough to really judge (I'm usually still half asleep at that time) but I actually kinda like him — in small doses anyway. But I think an hour is more than enough.

I find Kenny's show very hit and miss in the morning. It's excellent some days and awful others. On a slow news day he can be torture to listen to. Either way my hand is never far from the dial. Not that there's much alternative, unless I want to listen to D'arcy moaning about something, or Dunne talking about... urgh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I really don't understand this "I don't like Programme 'A'. I think Programme 'A' should be taken off the air because I don't like it. I have no idea how many people DO like programme 'A', but I don't and that's all that matters, so it should be taken off the air" attitude.

Perhaps they haven't gotten rid of it because, by volume of listener contributions, it's by far the most popular non-news programme on the station, generating almost double the amount of Emails, letters, calls and texts than its nearest rival?

As for Cheesy music? The designation of Cheese is of course a very personal opinion, but listening to the show in the last week or so would have given listeners probably their only opportunity to hear artists like Otis Redding, Willie Nelson, The Beatles, BB King, Marianne Faithful, Joni Mitchell and Frank Sinatra being played by the state broadcaster.

The show may not be intendedly targeted at you, but there's no compulsory attendance order issued to make you listen to it, that's the great thing about figuring out whether something is for you or not. (I, For instance, figured out that the reason I don't listen to 2fm or today fm at lunchtime is because I don't own a tuned up Opel Corsa, and I'm not a moron. You, perhaps will figure out that you maybe shouldn't listen to an Easy listening oldies show aimed at people of a certain age if you arent yet of that age and dont like easy listening music)

The Midday show on 1 serves a massive audience who DO like it, and who would no doubt be upset were it to be bulldozed from the schedules.

well your a bloody know it all with the definitive opinion on everything aren't you, a program that makes me tune off and probably forget to turn back on again for the news is a bad thing imho. it sticks out in the schedule of the day.

am i allowed to have that opinion, it doesn't just play the modern classics, i have no problem with modern classics, it play particular selection of the most cheesy tunes from the classics.

what is it with broadcasting nerds jeez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Dustin (the turkey) is right Pat Kenny is an ironing board and Tubridy loves himself to distraction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Not that there's much alternative, unless I want to listen to D'arcy moaning about something, or Dunne talking about... urgh!

Yeah, but you've still got G Ryan, so what you complaining about?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

well your a bloody know it all with the definitive opinion on everything aren't you, a program that makes me tune off and probably forget to turn back on again for the news is a bad thing imho. it sticks out in the schedule of the day.

am i allowed to have that opinion, it doesn't just play the modern classics, i have no problem with modern classics, it play particular selection of the most cheesy tunes from the classics.

what is it with broadcasting nerds jeez.

Whoa! Do you have a little foamy-mouthed freak out everytime someone disagrees with you?

I mean, name calling?

Really?

The least you could have done was used the time you spent editing the personal abuse to shoe-horn in a coherent effort at debate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Tubridy had a 2 hour slot there on one of the days after Christmas. I guess now that he got at taste of it he wants more. I don't listen to him regularly enough to really judge (I'm usually still half asleep at that time) but I actually kinda like him — in small doses anyway. But I think an hour is more than enough.

I find Kenny's show very hit and miss in the morning. It's excellent some days and awful others. On a slow news day he can be torture to listen to. Either way my hand is never far from the dial. Not that there's much alternative, unless I want to listen to D'arcy moaning about something, or Dunne talking about... urgh!

He did indeed, voicing in inserts for recordings of past shows.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

ateam wrote: »
    Tubridy is a bit too smug for me. Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to notice he's a bit of a conservative in his views which worries me a little.

He's a right wing FF nutter. As well as being a sanctimonious, smug ****er in love with the sound of his own voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Heckler wrote: »

Tubridys radio style bugs me no end. Hes like Derek Davis in that no matter what subject Davis is talking about he'll always bring it back to fishing or goddamn sailing. With Tubridy he can't talk movies, music or books without bring up Chittychitty bang bang and his fascination with the child-catcher, Frank Sinatra and swing or Roald Dahl. I swear the man was born 30 years too late.

That and he thinks hes irelands answer to Letterman and Leno. And he's a smug git.

Bang on,

On Tv he is very condesending to the audience when doing his crappy quiz, yet he gets all flustered when he has a big name guest ( not that there are many of them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Tubridy is on overconfident git, with a limited vocabulary whose rise to prominence is due to Irelands small gene pool of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It appears to me that the whole reason for his being is radio and TV. He's hung around RTÉ since he was a teenager. He appears to have no other life other than D4.

He could turn into the modern day equivalent of Cyril Nicholas Henty-Dodd. One misstep, and he'd be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

humberklog wrote: »
    On another note: Kenny as a journo on Wed. and Thur. last week was a truly sublime piece of radio. He interviewed a woman from D4 hotel group promoting a rather too good to be true offer. Kenny's sniffers were as alert as a jaguar's. Low and behold he had the same lady on the next day explaining away that indeed the offer was far to good to be true. This was clinical radio expertly handled.

I heard that too. It's a pity that Kenny's talents are being wasted. I wouldn't be a fan of his at all but when he gets his teeth into issues like these, he's excellent. If he wants to be on TV, he would be far better off presenting something with a bit of substance in it, not failing miserably at light entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

DMC wrote: »
    It appears to me that the whole reason for his being is radio and TV. He's hung around RTÉ since he was a teenager. He appears to have no other life other than D4.

He could turn into the modern day equivalent of Cyril Nicholas Henty-Dodd. One misstep, and he'd be gone.

Is he not related to a former boss of RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

spot on with this one.

spadder wrote: »
    Bang on,

On Tv he is very condesending to the audience when doing his crappy quiz, yet he gets all flustered when he has a big name guest ( not that there are many of them).

yea, can be condescending (that means speaking down to somebody) sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I think Tubbers show has got better over the last few month. I wouldn't have been a fan at all, however the show has picked up a bit. He genuinely seams more interested in his guests and the topic he's dealing with. His sneery coldness of past would appear to have lifted. I believe the guy is having regular sex now after a lenghty hiatus. This fornication would seam to be just the tonic he needed. However I think it'd be daft to meddle with Kenny's time slot. 10-12 is a perfect fit. If anything perhaps Tupperware's show could extend backwards. Kick off at 8.30 maybe?

On another note: Kenny as a jurno on Wed. and Thur. last week was a truely sublime piece of radio. He interviewed a woman from D4 hotel group promoting a rather too good to be true offer. Kenny's sniffers were as alert as a jaguar's. Low and behold he had the same lady on the next day explaining away that indeed the offer was far to good to be true. This was clinical radio expertly handled.

Part 1
    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-070109-5m23s-todaypatkenny.mp3

Part 2
    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-080109-12m14s-todaypatkenny.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

I think Tubbers show has got better over the last few month. I wouldn't have been a fan at all, however the show has picked up a bit. He genuinely seams more interested in his guests and the topic he's dealing with. His sneery coldness of past would appear to have lifted. I believe the guy is having regular sex now after a lenghty hiatus. This fornication would seam to be just the tonic he needed.

I can't stand Tubridy but I did tune in for the discussion of Cuba with Tom McGurk last week. Tubridy was very much in sneering, disinterested, "yeah roight loike, I know everything" mode. I found it quite distasteful. McGurk informed him he wasn't in the studio for a second level (as in secondary school) debate. First and last time I'll tune into Tubridy for a long time I imagine.

McGurk just didn't like that Tubbers had challanged his "misty eyed/thigh rolled cigar" romance of a dictator led country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

yea, can be condescending (that means speaking down to somebody) sometimes.

:D + 1

mike65 wrote: »
    McGurk just didn't like that Tubbers had challanged his "misty eyed/thigh rolled cigar" romance of a dictator led country.

He's entitled to, although he did have people in from both sides of the argument to to that, Tubridy made it 2 v 1. That's not the point though. The point is that
    hedid it with an appalling childish attitude and sneered at McGurk. That's the problem.

• Advertisement

I like Kenny on radio actually, he's an excellent broadcaster, handles complex subjects in a way that shows he understands the subject clearly but also manages to keep it simple enough for those who don't understand. It's a great skill. He is also not afraid to challenge people, again he does a great balancing act between avoiding Paxman style drama and not letting those on the other end get away with anything.

I'm not as keen on him on TV but that is mostly to do with celebrity driven content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

He is far, far better on the radio than on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Pretty much sums up it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Read the thread title and had horrible visions :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I'm always a few minutes late for work in the mornings and often catch the first few seconds of this sniveller's show, right after the headlines.

Who is this Ryan Tubridy lad and how the hell did he get his own radio show? He is the biggest fake I've ever heard. Sack him now please RTE!

I heard him say the other day that he always referred to gaelic football as "football" and soccer as "soccer". That's a blatant lie. In the Dublin area gaelic football is "gaelic" and soccer is "football". Small point, but it illustrated to me what an out and out bull****ter and a fake this wretched creep really is.

Why don't rte just get rid of him, it's not as if tv3 could afford his wages!

I like Kenny on radio actually, he's an excellent broadcaster, handles complex subjects in a way that shows he understands the subject clearly but also manages to keep it simple enough for those who don't understand. It's a great skill. He is also not afraid to challenge people, again he does a great balancing act between avoiding Paxman style drama and not letting those on the other end get away with anything.

I'm not as keen on him on TV but that is mostly to do with celebrity driven content.

spot on .......couldnt agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

I heard him say the other day that he always referred to gaelic football as "football" and soccer as "soccer". That's a blatant lie. In the Dublin area gaelic football is "gaelic" and soccer is "football". Small point, but it illustrated to me what an out and out bull****ter and a fake this wretched creep really is.

I do not see how this makes him a bull****ter, fake or wretched creep.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

The difference between them is that Kenny is very subtle in the way he interviews people. He had two guys on about Gaza a couple of weeks ago. One was an Israeli doctor, the other a Palestinian chap who I think works for the UN. Anyway, Kenny directed the conversation in a masterful way. He was one minute representing the downtrodden Palestinians who were being trampled on by Israeli tanks, then the next minute he was a poor Jewish mother who lived in a kibbutz which was in range of Hizbollah rockets. He teases out the information and the real views of his guests in a way that gets to the truth of the argument. He is poor on the TV because his guests are not the right sort of people for him to interview, I wonder if he feels that when he is on the radio, because we can't see his facial expressions and hand movements etc, he is more comfortable? Where on TV he has to make sure he is always in control? Just a thought.

Tubridy is just light fluff. If it was him interviewing the two guys about Gaza, he would have taken one side and just run the other guy down (not saying which side I think he would have taken). I find him to be quite right wing, I heard him speak about Cuba with McGuirk, he was so condesending it was unbelievable, I wonder if he's even been to Cuba? A wonderful place full of good spririted people.

Point is, on the RTE list of radio presenters, Tubridy is last, just below Ryan, which says it all.

Am I right in saying Tubridy didn't take a pay cut? Why don't they sack him, tv3, UTV or BBC won't employ him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

He did not volunteer to take a pay cut. You are correct.

He said he was refusing to take a pay cut for personal reasons, and declined to comment further, but when pressed, did say that he needed 300k a year because he has two young children.

Now it's all so clear. There are no doubt people in normal jobs (not to mention dole queues) all over the country who would wholeheartedly agree that it's damn near impossible to take care of two kids properly unless you're pulling in nearly one third of a million a year.

He did slip a few bob to the Vincent de Paul so we'd stop asking him to take a pay cut mind you.

(How do we know he did this? Because he released a press statement telling us he'd made a donation to the Vincent de Paul but he needed his 300k intact 'for the kiddies'. Kids shoes must be damn expensive in Dublin 4. Perhaps he should shop in Newry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

what about Mooney ? Considering how obsessed with money he is

• Advertisement

Derek Mooney was one of the first to publicly commit to a 10% cut along with Marian Finucane & Eamon Dunphy.

I was surprised too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I cant stand tubridy, the hour between 9 and 10 am is a radio wasteland.

He seems to love getting in southside women to talk about crap a lot of the time, he's obsessed with US politics, the whole programme smacks of middle-classery.

and on the charitable donation, aren't they tax deductible when you go over a certain amount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 heyyaa

tubridy

giftgrub wrote: »
    and on the charitable donation, aren't they tax deductible when you go over a certain amount?

Yes. Most newspapers mentioned that in relation to Ryan "I need 300k to feed my 2 kids" Tubridy's decision to make a 'private' donation to the St Vincent De Paul instead of taking a 10% pay cut as some of his fellow employees have done.

His donation entitles him to a 41% rebate on whatever he gave.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Very interesting posts Leaderboard.

That's a very old style Irish politians' oily type address of a situation by Tupperware. That apple didn't fall too far from the tree. He certainly lacks the natural affability and humility that his idol Jimmy Stewart had in bags. Maybe he thinks that by doing impersonations of him every other day and declaring his love of the man every flipping day that this somehow fills the void in his own personality.

He's a radio jock. Blackrock clinic perhaps. But his show's content has picked up since Christmas. That may have little to do with him though.

Yes. Most newspapers mentioned that in relation to Ryan "I need 300k to feed my 2 kids" Tubridy's decision to make a 'private' donation to the St Vincent De Paul instead of taking a 10% pay cut as some of his fellow employees have done.

His donation entitles him to a 41% rebate on whatever he gave.

Joke. Why don't RTE just renegotiate his contract and drop his wages. He is not worth 300k. He wouldn't leave RTE, he's obsessed with the station. This issue of RTE pay salaries should have arisen before the recession anyway. They are simply not worth the amount they receive and everyone knows they won't leave RTE as no other station would have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

ateam wrote: »
    Joke. Why don't RTE just renegotiate his contract and drop his wages. He is not worth 300k. He wouldn't leave RTE, he's obsessed with the station. This issue of RTE pay salaries should have arisen before the recession anyway. They are simply not worth the amount they receive and everyone knows they won't leave RTE as no other station would have them.

Spot on there son, can never understand the contracts these people have negotiated.

ya your charity contribution would also give u back 41%. i assume you contribute to the state at 41% like tubbers fair play to ye seriously.

if u dont, then just take take take and moan moan moan awayyyyyyyyyyy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What's your point? Are you claiming we don't pay our taxes?

i'm saying that he probably contributes more than most. and if he takes a cut or whatever then thats more than most would do if they were not in the public eye.

• Advertisement
Advertisement