Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tubridy vs Kenny ding dong!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think that people who earn 10 times the average industrial wage can afford to take a cut a lot more than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

i'm saying that he probably contributes more than most. and if he takes a cut or whatever then thats more than most would do if they were not in the public eye.

There are several dozen (if not hundreds) of Rté employees who make far far more that they are entitled to. I've said elsewhere in this thread that I don't begrudge a single one of them for taking the cash when offered. What I do feel uncomfortable about is Rté offering this money in the first place when it was clear that it was far too high, and they simply didn't have it to give, long term.

Of these dozens of employees, the only ones people are focussing on are Gerry Ryan, who is so out of touch with the public that make up his listenership that he thinks they don't care that he seemingly empathises with redundant factory workers while earning €11,500 per week, and Ryan Tubridy who went to the extent of making a statement to the effect that he was not going to cut his wages from approx €313,000 to €282,000 per year because he has two children to take care of.

Tubridy then followed this up with a press release announcing a private charitable donation (undisclosed amount) for apparently no other reason than to get people off his back over this 10% pay cut that several of his high profile colleagues (many who also have children) have agreed to.

Most people are of the opinion that Tubridy et al giving back 10% of their wages to the organisation(in R.T.'s case, about €32k, or : one researcher, one part time journalist + one swing jock) would help keep a considerable amount of lower paid rté staffers in a job through the recession. They also think him announcing an a donation of 59% of an undisclosed amount to charity is a cynical attempt to get us to forget about the pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I do not see how this makes him a bull****ter, fake or wretched creep.:confused:

Probably was a bit of a rant on my part, but I suppose it just struck me at the time. It was as if that one little point gave me an insight into what a slithery bull****ter he is. I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of mouth... Conan O'Brien/Jay Leno wannabe that he is.

PK does the job on the radio, despite what anyone thinks of him personally. Personally, I don't like him, but his show is good. Tubridy is just brainless guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

What I do feel uncomfortable about is Rté offering this money in the first place when it was clear that it was far too high, and they simply didn't have it to give, long term.

agreed. +1

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I think they should axe him once his contract runs out. No one else would match his wages. While I'm sure he'd get a similarly paid slot on a rival radio station, TV3 certainly wouldn't have the cash to meet his demands.

I honestly think thousands and thousands of licence payers would be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Probably was a bit of a rant on my part, but I suppose it just struck me at the time. It was as if that one little point gave me an insight into what a slithery bull****ter he is. I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of mouth... Conan O'Brien/Jay Leno wannabe that he is.

PK does the job on the radio, despite what anyone thinks of him personally. Personally, I don't like him, but his show is good. Tubridy is just brainless guff.

PK's radio show is top notch, On TV, he can't do the fluffy stuff, but he is good when he can get his teeth into a good debate.

He is RTE's Jeremy Paxman, I don't know why they don't give him a proper political show.

RT is slimey on radio and TV

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Pat is good at the political stuff; hopeless at celebrities. He's hilarious when he puts his engineer's hat on and starts to lecture the Green Party ministers on what green technologies would work and what one's wouldn't. He had John Gormley on this morning and you could just imagine Gormley's eyes glazing over when Pat went off on one about the merits of one type of technology over another. God love Pat, but he's a bit of a techie geek. He almost bored Eamon Ryan to death a few months ago with a rant about how energy saving lightbulbs are no good for hotpresses cause they take too long to warm up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Wester wrote: »
    Pat is good at the political stuff; hopeless at celebrities. He's hilarious when he puts his engineer's hat on and starts to lecture the Green Party ministers on what green technologies would work and what one's wouldn't. He had John Gormley on this morning and you could just imagine Gormley's eyes glazing over when Pat went off on one about the merits of one type of technology over another. God love Pat, but he's a bit of a techie geek. He almost bored Eamon Ryan to death a few months ago with a rant about how energy saving lightbulbs are no good for hotpresses cause they take too long to warm up!

ya its not that hes bad its that he should be given shows that suit him. hes on the ball tho esp on radion. whether u like him or not hes not a bluffer on radio.

Advertisement