Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

toy boys

• 11-01-2009 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

What are the ladies thoughts on toy boys? Are they an invention of the media? Something you'd be interested in for the lolz, a week or two of young male attention and then move on? Is there anything more to the idea than sex or can it be more? All purely academic questions you understand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I was recently seeing a woman 7 years older than me,

It was very much a case of a week or two of attention then moving on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I was recently seeing a woman 7 years older than me,

It was very much a case of a week or two of attention then moving on
    I had a thing with a girl 10years older for a few months...was only about the sexytime on both our parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I think it depends on the age range ...

The relationship between a 35 year old man and a 45 year old woman would be very different to the one between a 19 year old guy and a 28 year old woman. I'm 22 and I'd never date anyone who was more than a year or 2 younger than me max. But thats simply because if they were any younger they'd be teenagers and the maturity/life exp gap would be huge.

A friend of mine dated a 20year old guy when she was 28, and for her it was purely sex and they ended up breaking up when he wanted to get more serious. She just couldn't see it working long term because he was still living at home, at college, and kind of put her on a pedestal. Whereas she had her own place, a good job, and wanted an equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I don't mind an age gap. I've had a casual dating relationships with younger men and I've had a few boyfriends who were several years younger. I think it can be more than just sex, but it depends on the two people involved. I think it's more unlikely to work out, the greater the age gap, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

All purely academic questions you understand.
    But of course ;-)

The answer cant be defined in one point. Id be inclined to believe that either one would be in it for different reasons, outside of the sex itself. Men who prefer confident / sexually confident women may be attracted to an older lady. By this stage the women depending on their stage of life / circumstances have agendas of their own. For women its often a sexual re-awakening.

Theres rarely a connection beyond the sex imo.

I accept that there are exceptions to the rule, however ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Is 8 years a toy boy? I kind of associated the term with women in their forties meeting a guy at least a decade younger. I suppose it comes down to where each person is in their lives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I had a thing with a girl 10years older for a few months...was only about the sexytime on both our parts

Seems to be what she was after, morning after we had sex for the first time, she reveals she had a boyfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I have a self confessed 'thing' for older men.... but can never see myself going for a toyboy apart from some sexy time, and even at that I don't think it would last all that long.....still though, I guess it would all depend on the guy! Not something I'll have to worry about yet;think at 26 I'm prob a bit young for one, and happily attached at the mo; he's my senior by 9 years, practically a young 'un for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

.....the rule is- half your age + 7 is respectable apparently!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Have you seen the way (many of) the young women in this country carry themselves? It's easy to understand why a young male might get disillusioned with the women in his age group when you see the 'ladette' culture that is becoming prominent these days.
    Could you blame them for seeking out a bit of maturity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

For a short period of time yes.

Relationship no.

But then I like older men, personality wise maturity is attractive to me, not youth.

Edit: Jesus, just saw your last post brianthebard - am not in my 40s. Was talking about younger men in general.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

when does someone become a toyboy?

my OH is 5 years younger then me - is he a toy boy? if so, i say go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

dolliemix wrote: »
    .....the rule is- half your age + 7 is respectable apparently!:)

Past the age of 22 (for the oldest person in the equation). Before that and it's not applicable.

In Turkey you see a lot of Western women in their 50s/60s with local men in their mid twenties at the most.

Apparently these women come over there for maybe a month/few weeks of the year and 'look after' the men for their time there.

I suppose gigolo is probably an apt description of the whole thing, though it's maybe not quite so blatant.......damned strange looking though!!

Peared wrote: »

Edit: Jesus, just saw your last post brianthebard - am not in my 40s. Was talking about younger men in general.

Huh? maybe its the beer but I'm not quite following you here??

Would've thought 10-15 years personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Had a thing once with a guy 13 years younger. Purely for sexy time on my part. He was far too immature for anything else :D

(great stamina though ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't think it's entirely about age mind. I guess intentions play a part too. If you just want a younger guy for a bit of sexy time then he's a toy boy. Of course if you're making a proper relationship out of it he's not a toy boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Wexford Girl

Ive been in 2 relationships with younger guys and it was a disaster both times, grand for sex or whatever but not for a relationship in my case.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I don't think it's entirely about age mind. I guess intentions play a part too. If you just want a younger guy for a bit of sexy time then he's a toy boy. Of course if you're making a proper relationship out of it he's not a toy boy.

hmm, he is a toy boy then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

:eek::eek: I'd better delete that post before he sees it! You know how sensitive he is ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I'm all for toyboys, just find younger men more fun to be around and in my experience they are better in bed.
    I think it depends on the age difference if it can be anything more than just sex(for me anyway)......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That would make you his sugar momma then!

Edit: So I think that comment scared the ladies. Ooops. Enough with the words, give us the numbers. By how much younger is your beau? At 28, I'm 4 years my OH's junior. Who's next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Never had a toyboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I'd like a toyboy. Tall, blonde and sallow skin... Yum Yum Yum

Deliver him to me on a platter please with an apple in his mouth...

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

SarahSassy wrote: »

No problem, with a spring in his step too??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

SarahSassy wrote: »

OK I'm not Blond, and I have a fair complextion, but I am 6'2", adn 19yo. I can fit you in *flicks through calender* Thurs day at 630-700, As I am now your Toy Boy and you are my "Suga Mama" Please have 1 Xbox 360 console ready when I get there, thats how these things work!!!

[/joke]

*this post was a joke, please take no offence, I do not wish to incur the wrath of the fine ladies of this lounge.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

MJOR wrote: »
    No problem, with a spring in his step too??

No need for that if hes on a spit ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Laydees.........

"your only as young as the man ya feel.....!"

once heard that of an ex-boss who had a toyboy! well guess not really since theyve been going out for years!

Personally i dont think i ever would, maturity thing, kind a have a leaning towards guys a little older than me, guys my age even still lack alot in cop on and maturity...

my two cents anyway...

:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^^^Don't knock it till you try it/them.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've always gone for older guys but looking at some of the pics of early 20-something/late teen guys on this site - hubba hubba! :D
    If I were single I would have absolutely no qualms about having a purely sexual fling with one of those guys, but I don't know if anything could come of it. A guy as young as that is likely to want to have fun rather than settle down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Other than a bit of good old fashioned lust :) I think it depends on the emotional age of the guy more than his chronological age, if its a relationship you're seeking. In my experience and granted it's not a huge cross section or anything, I have known a couple of women who have gone for younger men. When I say younger I mean 30 odd year old woman with 20 odd year old guy. 6/7/8 year gap kinda thing. In the rare cases I've personally seen where it has worked, the guys were closer to the woman in emotional/sexual/life experience than their respective ages might suggest.

I've also noted one angle on this, where the older woman has become jaded with guys her own age and the innocence and lack of guile that a younger man promises is very appealing. They kinda hope to train them in:D or look to the younger guy to relive something missed or to wash away their own past. That has never worked in any I've seen. Certainly not in a healthy way. The guy always turns and usually not in a good way. Controlling behaviour from the guy is the usual reaction. Once he gets past the "ohmygodIcan'tbelieveIgother" phase the crap tends to start(unless he's naturally submissive and then that usually goes south from the woman's side).

The other bit is the different stages. OK we have the "why are women over 30 desperate" guff, but many women are conscious of wanting to start a family. A guy of 23 compared to a woman of 33 are poles apart. He's not even aware of time passing, until the woman presses him on it. Usually to no avail.

That stuff can happen with any couple and some older woman/younger guy couples work, but from what I've seen is really marked in those type of couples. If I had a daughter and she asked my advice I would advise her to steer clear of men who were obviously emotionally less mature than them unless she was just after some no strings attached hows your father.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

^^^^^^

OMG :eek: are you serious? That post is a load of rubbish.

I am 5 years older then my OH

Friend A is 10 years older then her BF

Friend B is 13 years older then her BF

Friend C is 5 years older then her husband

Friend D is 4 years older then her husband

Friend E is 4 years older then her husband

woo i just realised all my friends are with yonger men anyhoo, all these people have the perfect relationship from what i know.

people are not all the same and you cannot generalise that women only go with younger men, so they can fix them or like their innocent.

The amount of generalisation that goes on in this forum is shocking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

The amount of generalisation that goes on in this forum is shocking :rolleyes:

Quite...
    woo i just realised all my friends are with yonger men anyhoo, all these people have the perfect relationship from what i know.

So what, now being with a younger man = perfect relationship? What Wibbs said was perfectly valid, and he wasn't making any sweeping generalisations, just observations. It's true that the vast majority of, say, 23 year old guys are not looking to settle down with a 33 year old woman, who's more than likely ready to marry and have kids. That's just common sense.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm gonna be settling in the next few years, a gorgeous 21-year-old guy would be fabulous and all for sex, but he'll more than likely want to have fun by having sex with lots of other women and partaying lots and travelling lots and maybe going back to college etc... and he'd be dead right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Really now, between half of ye goin for old fogies, and the other half being cougars, where do Emotionally mature young lads stand in all this???

I still describe myself as a 19 year old boy, I know I am not a man, not willing to take any proper resonsibility, but looking for fun where I can find it.

Young girls my age, generally consider themselves "women", because boobs make you mature, remember I said generally not all. and alot like to go for older more Mature guys.

Mature women, ie Cougars, tend to go for the younger males who are still very immature, because to them it is all fun and games, however to an immature lad, they think that a sexual relationship is what a true relationship is, alot of young lads wouldn't realise they are a toy boy.

So my Question is, Me being a 19 yo, boy, with all these big fantastic Ideas that come with youth, who also happens to have the maturity level of someone who would be about 25, where the hell do we stand!!!

The Young immature girls annoy me, the young "mature" girls think that most young lads are immature, the Older ladies are lookin for babies, and the older cougars are looking for someone who is not mature.

Just tell me the truth, I am screwed aren't I. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why would it be purely sexual ?
    Why could it not be mental and emotional and a relation ship which for how ever long it lasts benefits the both of ye
    and you come out of it both having learned and experienced new things ? or having rediscovered certain things ?

There has nearly* always been age gaps in the relationships I have been in over the years
    and they have ranged from someone who was 16 years older then me to someone who was 12 years younger.

Age is not always an indicator of experience or maturity, yup sure as you get
    older your tastes will get more refined and there are certain things you will
    not put up with when dating someone but that doesn't mean you can rule out people based on age.

Cut of limits imho are daft, then again I tend to like odd and intresting people and they come in a range of ages, as long as they can keep up with me and have enough consideration and cop on that tends to be the bottom line rather then age.

Still it is funny how being a certain age and having kids can make people
    make all sorts of daft assumptions when some times a girl just wanna have fun.

*( other then only two years between myself and the dad of my kids, yes classically he's the older one and well while the relationship didn't work we are friends have two wonderful brats )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

shellyboo wrote: »
    So what, now being with a younger man = perfect relationship? What Wibbs said was perfectly valid, and he wasn't making any sweeping generalisations, just observations. It's true that the vast majority of, say, 23 year old guys are not looking to settle down with a 33 year old woman, who's more than likely ready to marry and have kids. That's just common sense.
    Exactly.

pink fluffy bunny appears to be even more guilty of generalisation than me(and that's a hard trick to pull off). You'll notice I said it was what I have observed in big age gap relationships specifically where the woman was in her 30's and the guy was in his 20's and where he was much less emotionally mature with a lot less life experience.

Then we come to your list. 4/5 years is simply not that big a gap, or enough of a gap that's going to throw an otherwise good relationship off. Particularly IME in cases where the woman is the more dominant. Come back to me in 5 years time and report how "perfect" the relationships have gone with friend A and B.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Wibbs wrote: »
    4/5 years is simply not that big a gap, or enough of a gap that's going to throw an otherwise good relationship off.

Definitely. Unless we're talking 20 and 15, 5 years isn't really a huge gap when it comes to life experience. Once you're out of college and employed, it's all much of a muchness really, isn't it? So from age, say, 22 to 30 you're dealing with your peers essentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Older women are much more up for sex, including no strings attached, than younger girls which is why i like them; most of the women I've had sex with are a few years older.

Then, again, I'm sort of going out with a girl 5 years older than me (im 22) who isn't into the casual sex - we both like each other, but its unlikely to work.

Really now, between half of ye goin for old fogies, and the other half being cougars, where do Emotionally mature young lads stand in all this???

I still describe myself as a 19 year old boy, I know I am not a man, not willing to take any proper resonsibility, but looking for fun where I can find it.

Young girls my age, generally consider themselves "women", because boobs make you mature, remember I said generally not all. and alot like to go for older more Mature guys.

Mature women, ie Cougars, tend to go for the younger males who are still very immature, because to them it is all fun and games, however to an immature lad, they think that a sexual relationship is what a true relationship is, alot of young lads wouldn't realise they are a toy boy.

So my Question is, Me being a 19 yo, boy, with all these big fantastic Ideas that come with youth, who also happens to have the maturity level of someone who would be about 25, where the hell do we stand!!!

The Young immature girls annoy me, the young "mature" girls think that most young lads are immature, the Older ladies are lookin for babies, and the older cougars are looking for someone who is not mature.

To begin with stop classifying women by their ages and stop making assumptions based on those classifications.

Not every 33 year old is looking for someone to have kids with.
    Not every 23 year old is looking for an older man.
    Not every 19/21 year old has her head up her own hole.
    Not every woman who would consider dating a younger guy is a cougar.

By all means be discerning but don't throw the baby out with the bath water,
    figure out what you want at this stage in your life and find someone who you
    are interested in who wants to do some those things too with you.

Oh of course there'll be exceptions - the Boards member Chocolate Sauce springs to mind here. He's I think 21/22 and unbelievably mature for his age...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I have a self confessed 'thing' for older men.... but can never see myself going for a toyboy apart from some sexy time, and even at that I don't think it would last all that long.....still though, I guess it would all depend on the guy! Not something I'll have to worry about yet;think at 26 I'm prob a bit young for one, and happily attached at the mo; he's my senior by 9 years, practically a young 'un for me!!!

Your 26 and he is 35, in my opinion that is just not right, but then that is my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Just follow the doctrine from here and you'll be grand ;)

Your 26 and he is 35, in my opinion that is just not right, but then that is my opinion.
    But what's not right about it?

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh of course there'll be exceptions - the Boards member Chocolate Sauce springs to mind here. He's I think 21/22 and unbelievably mature for his age...

There can be a vast difference in perceived maturity while posting online and actual maturity in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Previous g/friend was 5 years older..was with her for 2 years..by the time we broke up she was 33 and I was 28..it was a great relationship but I cldnt see myself marrying her so I had to finish it for her sake..she thought we wld get married etc so it was unfair of me to continue leading her on..but we got on brilliantly..never any arguments and the sex was fantastic..:D

My g/friend is 3 years older than me (I'm 30 and she is 33)...different story in the sense that we have discussed marriage and we we both want the same things..madly in love with each other...but we are conscious of the fact she is 33 and she is worried about leaving the children issue too late..plan on proposing in September..2 year anniversary..:)

I dont have a thing for older women just the way its panned out..;)

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There can be a vast difference in perceived maturity while posting online and actual maturity in person.
    Poor Chocolate Sauce. :(

No, you're right of course. But there is something about his posts, the way he writes them, his views, stuff he's revealed about his personal life etc, which paint a picture of an exceedingly mature 21/22-year-old.

:confused: Well, He's in my bed and personally I have anything but a problem with that.

I am almost 27 and he is almost 35 actually but that's beside the point.

He's actually almost a young 'un for me, I have always gone for older men, that is my preference, not intentionally, but they are always the men most attractive to me, as indeed me to them.

Maybe you think I should be with a 28 year old becuae society tells me so??? Well I don't believe in conformity, people who conform are most often miserable.

I could not have walked away from the man I am with on the basis of his age, nor him me.

He satisfies me physically and mentally and emotionally, and I am not/would not give that up for the sake of what numbers are on his/my birth cert.

Added to which 8 years isn't even a decade, so i hardly see this as being a crazy age gap:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement