Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lucky Escape & what's broken?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

We were driving back to Dublin from a nice relaxing weekend in Monart in Wexford, earlier. Was on the dual carraige way and doing about 90km/h and hit a huge amount of standing water in the outside lane under a small bridge. The road had a large camber and was right in the dip, lethal.
    My wife was driving and didn't see it, was dark. We're lucky we didn't crash, though we did snake and slide back into the outer lane and were lucky we were far enough in front of the car we'd just passed.

Anyway the car (Audi A3 Sportback) is leaking diesel from the part in the picture which is right under the driver seat.
    We made it approx 5km to a petrol station in Inch, so its obviously not the fuel line to the engine. They had no Diesel there, so I drove slowly to Arklow and filled up fully there. Just back in Dublin now and have less than 1/8th of the tank left.

Does anyone know what it is? And is it going to cost me a fortune to get it repaired?........though at least we're still alive, so I don't care to much about the money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I think it could be a return fuel cooler (cools fuel down before being pumped back to the tank) Not the foggiest how much it would cost, you'd have to get a quote from a main dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

I think it could be a return fuel cooler (cools fuel down before being pumped back to the tank) Not the foggiest how much it would cost, you'd have to get a quote from a main dealer.

+1

Its the fuel cooler, they give trouble on most of the current 1.9/2.0td VAGS by falling down so maybe it was hanging down before you hit the flood!

How new is the A3?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

yes defo return fuel cooler. Current model passat were all recalled for a dodgy fixing bracket which allowed this to come loose and my parents one came loose after going through a flood just like yours. I wouldnt pay for this repair at all if the car is anywhere near warranty age. It is a known weakness/fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Thats great, thanks lads.
    At least I'll know what it is when I ring around for quotes.

Healyc its June 2005 which is out of warranty, we've just brought it in from the UK too. IIRC it was the first of the newer model A3.

It wasn't hanging down before we hit the water, as soon as we hit I could hear it scraping along the ground until we came to a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Not sure if they stock them, but try www.gsfcarparts.com - they might!

• Advertisement
Advertisement