Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Broadband Provider for a Gamer

Options
  • 11-01-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Can someone suggest a good provider for broadband for a avid gamer?

I was gonna get Eircom 7meg connection but just read in another post it isnt gamer friendly.

Also where i live in Balbriggan NTL is out of the question, also after dealing with them in the past i dont fancy going through all that crap again.

Any suggestions welcome please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

If you can get smart or magnet definitely get them.

Eircom 7MB isnt suitable due to the high interleaving. Any of the DSL Resellers are touch and go, for example i have Eircom 3MB and i find it useless to game with in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Doesnt look like magnet is available in Balbriggan.

Looks like i got a choice between:

Imagine
    Ice
    Perlico
    BT
    Digiweb
    Ericom

bikki wrote: »
    Doesnt look like magnet is available in Balbriggan.

Looks like i got a choice between:

Imagine
    Ice
    Perlico
    BT
    Digiweb
    Ericom

Well advoid ICE. Digiweb have higher pings on DSL than eircom for example. Imagine Perlico BT are just resellers of eircoms DSL. Its really hit and miss because lately after the upgrades alot of peoples connections have had massive pings due to congestion etc.

Your best bet is Eircom 3MB i guess, if you want higher bandwidth ( UP TO 7MB ) you ping times will be doubled due to the higher interleaving used.

I would opt for Eircom as they dont charge for excess cap usage.. You might be lucky or you might end up with a poor ping connection like myself ;)

Think il try 3 meg Eircom then so.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Eircom 7mb is perfect,i dont know what games your playing at any time of the day because im always able to play fine on both xbl and garena as well..

• Advertisement

smart are ace, i use there 4mb pack with xbl, it works better than 20mb UPC.

he cant get UPC or Smart...

7MB Eircom has double the ping times of the 3MB Package

edit: try this link to see if you can get UPC http://www.upc.ie/internet/

you havent ruled it out yet

www.smarttelecom.ie Have a phone line checker

If both fail Eircom is your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Fol20 wrote: »
    Eircom 7mb is perfect,i dont know what games your playing at any time of the day because im always able to play fine on both xbl and garena as well..

:rolleyes: Shows how little console gamers really know about latency. The 7.6Mbit package has high interleaving causing high pings, all 7.6mbit customers are affected by this across the country. See here, my ping to boards.ie averages 68ms, it was ~15-20ms before the upgrade
    C:\Windows\system32>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 54ms, Maximum = 77ms, Average = 68ms

This 68ms is what You'd expect when You ping a server in the UK, not here in Irl. Gaming is possible, just not very well.

Ah il think il stick to Eircom for the momment, id rather stick pins in my eyes than deal with NTL again. Ive never had so much grief in trying to cancel a account than i did with NTL.

Advertisement