Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Consolation for missing photographs.

• 11-01-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Anyone who has known me long enough will know that apart from kitesurfers I tend to spend a lot of time shooting breaking waves, white water spray, that sort of thing. To date end I spend alot of time standing on rocks, freezing cold, watching and counting waves.

The weather forecast for today was for 38 knot winds from the SW but magically for me, high tide was at 11.20 so I set off to Portmarnock which is my rocky place of choice here. I was traveling with OM10 as the 40D is on its way to ISS and the 350D is travelling in South America with its new daddy. I had some nice C41 with me, and a bundle of Fuji colour 36 shot film. I mean, I couldn't lose, could I.

It transpires that the OM10 is now also sick. It may be the battery because to my knowledge, the battery has never been replaced. I suspect part of the film wind mechanism is jammed though because I could not wind in the film at all and the shutter was not reacting. I don't know.

Nature was in glory today. Portmarnock is the best place I know in north Dublin for white water breaking on rocks and it's been okay on occasion in the past. I mean I didn't think I'd ever see bigger breaking water than this. Today I did, and loads of it because it was an unusually high tide so higher seas. I don't usually manage a good combo of very high tide, very high off shore winds and daylight. But I had no camera, so couldn't record any of it. The sole consolation is that....well the sky was white which can make colour versions of those photographs very lacklustre and flat.

So they might have been a bit dead if I had managed it...but oh to have tried.

Anyone else got lost/missed photograph stories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I made my second night-time trip down to poolbeg lighthouse last tuesday with the intention of getting the lighthouse and some startrails. Everything was perfect - it was a perfectly clear night with no wind and bright stars. When I got there however, there was a bunch of high clouds covering Polaris and because of the lack of wind, they weren't in a hurry to move. In addition, my 430EX which I brought to light the lighthouse had dead batteries :(. I've decided not to bother going back...it' snot even that interesting a walk in the dark...

On the bright side, I did manage to get this on the way back which made up for the disappointment of not getting the shot I was planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

That's one hell of a shot, cambo. I really, really like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Calina wrote: »
    That's one hell of a shot, cambo. I really, really like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Before l bought my D60 last year l just went about my day not really taking anything in.....
    Now l notice everything!

At the moment l'm using the dart early in the morning to get to work, & when it passes Marrion gates towards Booterstown, Blackrock & Seapoint the sunrise is breathtaking.....But i don't always have my Camera...:(

l have missed so many amazing red sky's.....Note to self: Don't forget the camera in the morning.:P

LP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Today two of us went you with the same idea as your self shooting the waves.
    I left the base plate for my tripod behind, the other lad had both his batteries
    die and to top it of we somebody report us to the Gardai as suspicious; who
    could be you would be out innocently taking photos?

Anyway I got one shot off handheld in poor light so it's quite noisy and nothing
    near the sharpness of your image.

3188364189_f461a134fc.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement