Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

downgrade to silver-not allowwed to play

• 11-01-2009 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    was down graded to silver xbox live membership and now im not able to play on line.

Tried playing COD WaW and it said to get an xbox account.(or somethin to that effect,)now it's just saying 'the current gamer profile is not allowed to play on xbox live'.

Checked my account and it says im subbed to a silver membership,alls fine

anyone come across this before?

thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You can't play online with a silver membership. You need to upgrade to a gold one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

'Gold' is the one you pay €60 a year for and it lets you play online.

Silver is free and just lets you download demo's and all that jazz.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/memberships/

I've never heard of anyone being downgraded to a Silver membership before!

...is it that your subscription lapsed? If so, repay for the year (or whatever), and hey presto! You're back in the heaven that is online gaming...! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yes, if your subscription ends you go back to Silver, which will allow downloading etc but not online play.

If you can, buy a 12 month code online (Ebay, and a few people here have recommended other sites) instead of paying the subscription to Microsoft directly, works out much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Ah I see that would explain it.I had the gold membership free for a month.

In fairness thats a load of boll*x.Pay top dollar for a game and then have to fork out more for online play..Strange they can financially support ranked servers for the PC versions of games(rant over)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Hardly top dollar. A 13 month membership can be had for €35 on Ebay.

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    In fairness thats a load of boll*x.Pay top dollar for a game and then have to fork out more for online play..Strange they can financially support ranked servers for the PC versions of games(rant over)
    bucks73 wrote: »

I actually agree with you both.

a.) Yes, it'd be nice to get the service for free! But in the same breath,

b.) As bucks pointed out, it's hardly a huge amount of cash, even if you pay the sixty euro a year (as I do), working out to little over a euro a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I actually agree with you both.

a.) Yes, it'd be nice to get the service for free! But in the same breath,

b.) As bucks pointed out, it's hardly a huge amount of cash, even if you pay the sixty euro a year (as I do), working out to little over a euro a week.

That's my Mars bar eating fund their stealing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

MS have you wrapped around their finger. Hardly top dollar? When the same services are free on other platforms. If microsoft can charge for this and their customers thinks it's ok then WTF else will they charge for down the line.

This multiplayer tax is the only reason why I haven't bought an xbox and I wont unless the tax is lifted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Zavvi are selling 12 months xbox live for €40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

MS have you wrapped around their finger. Hardly top dollar? When the same services are free on other platforms. If microsoft can charge for this and their customers thinks it's ok then WTF else will they charge for down the line.

This multiplayer tax is the only reason why I haven't bought an xbox and I wont unless the tax is lifted

In fairness, both PSN and Wii's online effort don't compare to Live.. and much as I would obviously prefer to pay nothing to play online, €35 for 13 months for a superior console online experience is well worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Its worth every penny. its lack having a 2nd platform where as psn is a pale imitation.

zavii are flogging everything for cheap at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

mise wrote: »
    In fairness, both PSN and Wii's online effort don't compare to Live.. and much as I would obviously prefer to pay nothing to play online, €35 for 13 months for a superior console online experience is well worth it

Wii's doesn't, I think PSN isn't far off and Steam is at least as good as Xbox Live IMO, all free.

Like a lot of people I'll be starting to buy games for PSN over Xbox Live since the online is free. I don't play online enough to pay for a subscription and that 48 hour code thing is just a lot of hassle I don't need when I can play for free elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The 'multiplayer tax' as you call it is the reason why I do all my online gaming on a well built and reliable Xbox multiplayer platform and the same reason
    my PS3 is sitting in the corner gathering dust. ;)

Conspiracy Theories Forum is thattaway
    >
    tbh.

EDIT: WTF are you doing in an Xbox forum if you're so anti xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Jasper1675 has 13 month subs for €35.99 emailed. He used to be on eBay, where I got my last sub from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

yeah 40 odd euro aint much but its the principle!!

MS are money grabbing bast*rds.Do the games devs get any of xbox live cash or does it all go to Bill Gates?

Any ways gonna leave my on line gaming for my pc.
    Take that MR Gates:p

Advertisement