Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was banned from Photography unfairly by Calina.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

gandalf wrote: »
    I would suggest though rather than post a long list of whats wrong only that you also suggest how you'd fix them.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

kensutz wrote: »
    1) What is the main focus of the Photography Forum?

2)Is it to have a laugh yet keep things in focus?

3)Is it to be completely sterile and professional?

4)Who is the person calling the shots and do any discussions take place before actions are taken?

Ken, Please read the charter.
    It seems Calina is calling all the shots and her disciples follow.

You appear to understand very little about how the forum operates - what you outwardly see is product of general moderation. Your statement above is plain nonsense.
    Over the past couple of years I've been a regular in the photography forum, I have to say that the past 6 months or less have made us walk on glass. I tried to inject some lighthearted voting and yet it got shot down straight away. Granted it's still taking place but with all the "rules" put in place I instantly lost interest in wanting to keep it going but granted I will.

I know Fajitas is up to his eyes and that's why he stepped down. The work he did was fair and sound. Elven the same, she did what was necessary and actually thanked people for helping out with reported posts etc.

Ken, Please read the charter (again). It explains it all. You don't deal with the fall out of injecting some lighthearted voting.

Fajitas! has been a moderator until very recently so wtf are you talking about (6 months????)
    I know some users have been thinking of keeping away from the forum because the regular enjoyment they had cannot be maintained.

That may be a pity but obviously a personal choice. No one puts a gun to their head.
    We're in it to enjoy it not to be censored so much that it's like we're living under a brainwashing regime. I ask for some common sense to be used and have a laid back attitude but yet keep people in line because I can see some meets if and when planned could also turn into a bítch fest.

Simply put Ken, you are in it under the direction of the Charter. Moderation simply implements this as best it can. It is unfortunate if you don't appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Fajitas! wrote: »
    That was moreso a joke at my custom title rather than a chance to get a dig in at anyone...

Sense of humour required to get it I think.

gandalf: I know you're adressing Kensutz here, but a suggestion from me would be for Calina to step down as a mod of the forum. That'd be, IMO, the first big step towards fixing the problems with the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Cabaal wrote: »

Whatever forum is being moderated it is important that no single mod yields all the power and that a forum is modded fairly
    word, sister.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Ken, Please read the charter (again). It explains it all. You don't deal with the fall out of injecting some lighthearted voting.

Fajitas! has been a moderator until very recently so wtf are you talking about (6 months????)

I believe what ken means is while Fajitas had a mod title until very recently he had still very much taken a back seat due to college work and other stuff and wasn't as active as he might have been otherwise.

As such other mods took his place and may have dealt with things differently to how Fajitas would.
    word, sister.

Lets remember no group of users should go on a hunt, fair enough if the mod is doing a poor job but personal views should not come into it.
    I've had hunts before with users in Broadband forum and its not helpful to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

gandalf: I know you're adressing Kensutz here, but a suggestion from me would be for Calina to step down as a mod of the forum. That'd be, IMO, the first big step towards fixing the problems with the forum.

I disagree with you totally on this.

What I have seen in the last few months is an extremely distasteful campaign by a small number of users of the photography forum to oust Calina for whatever personal reasons they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sully wrote: »
    May I make a suggestion? Create a new thread and give Feedback about what you see are the problems. Give some suggestions and stuff. This way, the mods and others can discuss ways of improving based on Feedback where appropriate.
    ken I agree if you feel this strongly then post a new post here that we all can respond to.

I would suggest though rather than post a long list of whats wrong only that you also suggest how you'd fix them.
    +100

This thread is a trainwreck and a witchhunt, and any valid issues which may need to be addressed have been well and truely submerged under that.

I would also suggest waiting a few days until everyone has calmed down a bit, and might actually be in the mindset to make their points constructively and courteously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Yeah,Calina must step down so Photography forum gets back some of the humour it used to have with the old school mods :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Blah blah blah................

I'm fully aware of the charter. Jesus if we're to follow every single charter on the forum we'll be fecked. There's a high horse out there somewhere and people need to climb off it.

How long has the charter been in place? Who implemented it? If you have anything to add to it then feel free, the post is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055185662

Do I see your feedback on the charter? No.

I bet that after this matter is highlighted and people vent their frustration or make suggestions, that there will be a constant watch on the forum waiting for any of the people who made a comment to slip up and end up being banned from the forum.

Like I said in my previous post, this will need to be viewed by someone with a completely unbiased view. If I post what I did on a seperate thead I know I will be viewed as bitching about nothing.

I will continue to help out those who want advice/help on the forum. I will continue in my same ways as I have for the past 6 years.

If I post what I did on a seperate thead I know I will be viewed as bitching about nothing.

Not if you make proper suggestions on how to fix the issues.

If you are just going to bitch and offer no fixes then what is the point in posting here?
    I will continue to help out those who want advice/help on the forum. I will continue in my same ways as I have for the past 6 years.

So business as usual. Again what was the point in your posting then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've been on and off the photo forum for about two odd years now, it has changed a fair bit in the past few months in my view and there appears to be alot more issues as of late,

More bans and infractions "appear" to be handed out in recvent times when compared to say 12 months back, now whether this is due to people being actually unhappy with how mods are running the forum or if people actually have a personal dislike to mod then needs to be sorted and found which is which. (maybe I'm wrong but this is how it appears to myself and some users I've spoken to)

The sad thing about it is many of the users who receive warnings/infractions or bans know there stuff and honestly do appears to contribute alot and the loss of such users is not good for the photo community on boards.

This issue needs to be sorted one way or the other or it risks alienating a number of users who contribute alot imho.

Cabaal,

Not if you make proper suggestions on how to fix the issues.

If you are just going to bitch and offer no fixes then what is the point in posting here?

Well at a guess, him agreeing with my post suggesting Calina step down means that he also thinks it's a valid suggestion on how to fix the issues? That said, Ken is well able to speak for himself, so if he feels that way I'm sure he'll have no problem saying it, even if just to clarify.

/edit: Cabaal - I'm out of thanks, but your post deserves some.

a suggestion from me would be for Calina to step down as a mod of the forum.

Nonsense.

1 user was banned for ignoring a mod warning saying that further carry on would get a ban.

More users picked up an infraction for ignoring an in thread warning.

I had scant access to the net today. I soft deleted the offending thread at one stage from my phone but couldn't properly moderate. Calina happened to get to it before me and moderated as expected. Had I been online earlier then the moderation action would have been identical. Plain and simple.

Jeez you're more of a smartarse then me.

He posted a very well written post which a fair few of us happen to agree with.
    Remember there are other people who don't "come out" but who feel the same way, the reason why they don't come out is because they will be classed as troublemakers.
    People didn't pick on Calina.....they were not happy with her over zealous modding since she took over, they miss the humour, the late night jokes, they'd like to be able to post without worrying" oohh maybe I strayed and I'll be waking up to an infraction".

Are you aware of what I typed on the post? I said specifically
    Now get that twist in your knickers out and read the facts before you try to twist the words I type.

I have suggested someone with an unbiased view also take a look at the situation. It took one person to highlight an issue and a lot of others to jump on the bandwagon. What does that suggest to you? That everything is hunky dory? I DON'T THINK SO. You know the saying "If it's not broke, don't fix it" Well there must be some cracks in view.

Nonsense.

1 user was banned for ignoring a mod warning saying that further carry on would get a ban.

More users picked up an infraction for ignoring an in thread warning.

I had scant access to the net today. I soft deleted the offending thread at one stage from my phone but couldn't properly moderate. Calina happened to get to it before me and moderated as expected. Had I been online earlier then the moderation action would have been identical. Plain and simple.
    Maybe too that particular thread but your modding style to Calina's is vastly different.
    I can give you an example anytime.

Are you aware of what I typed on the post? I said specifically
    Now get that twist in your knickers out and read the facts before you try to twist the words I type.

I'm not the one getting my knickers in a twist now am I.

You seemed to have issues about whats wrong so all I asked if you cared so strongly about the direction the photography section is going then please put your ideas clearly in a post that all can contribute to because this thread is a train wreak.
    I have suggested someone with an unbiased view also take a look at the situation. It took one person to highlight an issue and a lot of others to jump on the bandwagon. What does that suggest to you? That everything is hunky dory? I DON'T THINK SO. You know the saying "If it's not broke, don't fix it" Well there must be some cracks in view.

I never said that an unbiased view could not be part of the solution now did I but again as you and others seem to have strong feelings about things and you all seem like articulate adults I would have assumed you would have no problems expressing that logically in a new thread with fixes.

Nonsense.

The users of the forum don't seem to think so. Perhaps if we were consulted with in the first place we wouldn't be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

You seemed to have issues about whats wrong so all I asked if you cared so strongly about the direction the photography section is going then please put your ideas clearly in a post that all can contribute to because this thread is a train wreak.

I never said that an unbiased view could not be part of the solution now did I but again as you and others seem to have strong feelings about things and you all seem like articulate adults I would have assumed you would have no problems expressing that logically in a new thread with fixes.

You got your knickers in a twist an hour or two ago and still have not explained why!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Like I said in my previous post, this will need to be viewed by someone with a completely unbiased view. If I post what I did on a seperate thead I know I will be viewed as bitching about nothing.

You could at least try. I dont use the forum so I wouldn't be biased. I dont know the mods either. Id like to see users give civil Feedback without insulting each other and id like mods to give the same courtesy back.

So please Ken, or others, take the time to put your thoughts down and give them in a new thread where we can all discuss this and thrash out to see what can be done. In a civil and friendly way though, otherwise it wont work. That applies to mods also.

• Advertisement

I'm fully aware of the charter. Jesus if we're to follow every single charter on the forum we'll be fecked.

Really? Now theres a novel idea on boards.
    How long has the charter been in place? Who implemented it? If you have anything to add to it then feel free, the post is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055185662

Do I see your feedback on the charter? No.

Excuse me but what has that to do with anything.
    I bet that after this matter is highlighted and people vent their frustration or make suggestions, that there will be a constant watch on the forum waiting for any of the people who made a comment to slip up and end up being banned from the forum.

From where does this notion come?

I'm glad to hear it really. I was getting worried that you were one of the users referred to earlier not remaining. Thanks.

You got your knickers in a twist an hour or two ago and still have not explained why!

And judging from your reported posts your knickers are in a constant state of flux?

First part - you're the one who didn't read my post properly.

Second - I never suggested you take an unbiased view. It's a post for other mods to view and see what direction to take. I know well that this thread is not going anywhere and who's to say that if I make a seperate post, that all this will happen again? Are you able to prevent that? No, don't think so!

So please for future reference - read exactly what I say and who I aim it at. The only comment aimed at you is the one about not reading my post properly and you failed to admit that.

I'm glad to hear it really. I was getting worried that you were one of the users referred to earlier not remaining. Thanks.

Did you take notice that I've been posting constantly in the photography forum for 2 years?

First part - you're the one who didn't read my post properly.

Second - I never suggested you take an unbiased view. It's a post for other mods to view and see what direction to take. I know well that this thread is not going anywhere and who's to say that if I make a seperate post, that all this will happen again? Are you able to prevent that? No, don't think so!

So please for future reference - read exactly what I say and who I aim it at. The only comment aimed at you is the one about not reading my post properly and you failed to admit that.

Ken I read your post and I did understand it. I was moving on from Sullys suggestion that you start a new thread. As you seemed to have put some thought into things I felt you shouldn't have an issue starting a new thread from scratch. Obviously I was wrong and you do. Apologies to harping on to you about it. I'll leave it be so.

The users of the forum don't seem to think so.

You are generalising beyond what is reasonable.
    Perhaps if we were consulted with in the first place we wouldn't be here.

The reason that we are here is that 1 user was banned for 7 days because they ignored a moderator warning in thread and a number of others got infracted for ignoring in thread moderator warnings. It's really nothing more complicated.

Anything else can go on the feedback forum as many posters have stated in a constructive manner. I doubt any one would have a problem with that.

And judging from your reported posts your knickers are in a constant state of flux?

I was under the impression that reporting of posts was confidential or so I was told by a Mod recently, you being a Mod may have access to them but to diccusss them in an open forum is wrong!

So any chance of an explanation of your kickers in a twist post!

I was under the impression that reporting of posts was confidential or so I was told by a Mod recently, you being a Mod may have access to them but to diccusss them in an open forum is worn, so any chance of an explanation of your kickers in a twist post!

I didn't discuss the contents now did I?

Which Post are you referring to exactly?

No you didnt but still believe that you were wrong to post it, anyway have reported your post!

The post I am referring to started with

"Who the hell do you think you are to ask me that question."

when I asked why you were getting involved!

• Advertisement

Well we all now know that Ken is a cry ba who runs of to report posts at the drop of a hat...although can't say he really wanted all of JoePublic knowing this.

;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement