Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying an iPhone

• 11-01-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying an iPhone off a guy in eBay. I have asked him to send me on additional photos so I can have a closer look. This is one of the photos: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=d5df573c75&view=att&th=11ec647615e613de&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

I have noticed that the icons look different to most of the generic screenhsots of the iPhone screen on the net and some of them have different tag names. For example, the SMS icon has 'Write Text' written underneath instead of 'Text'. Do people think this is a genuine iPhone all the other photos look fine. This is the one doubt I have.

ps. I am taking the risk of buying on eBay, so no advice on this please. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Your link doesn't work, probably because it links directly into your gmail account.

Download the photo to your hard drive and then attach it to your post or else upload it to www.wthax.org and link to it here.

Do keep in mind though that he could be sending you photos he got off the internet himself and having photos proves nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Can't see that photo. It sounds like a fake though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the link doesnt work .... its a link to your e-mail account (an attachment there i guess)

my advice - dont buy unless you are 100% happy its a genuine advert and use paypal so you are covered.

I've bought off ebay a couple of times - been stung twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

_1_1.jpg

Looks different to the official ones

http://images.apple.com/home/2008/images/apple_iphone3g_20080701.jpg

The gap above the button at the bottom is bigger ?

Have you asked him specifically if it's an Apple iPhone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Thats the fakest thing I have ever seen...........

Just out of interest, how much is he looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thats a fake Chinese one, don't buy it

Thats the fakest thing I have ever seen...........

Just out of interest, how much is he looking for?

£359 Sterling. I knew it was too good to be true. Glad I have acted on my suspicions. Now I'm off to make him admit, it's a fake.

CyberDave wrote: »
    £359 Sterling. I knew it was too good to be true. Glad I have acted on my suspicions. Now I'm off to make him admit, it's a fake.

They are only £40 more to buy from the UK (16Gb)........or £360 for the 8Gb......why even look at ebay?

They are only £40 more to buy from the UK (16Gb)........or £360 for the 8Gb......why even look at ebay?

I'm looking for a Sim Free version.

• Advertisement

I'm looking for a Sim Free version.
    With yellowsn0w they are all "sim free"

_2.jpg
    _3.jpg
    _4.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

defo a fake one. looks nothing like the ones on my iphone anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It's defo a fake. Look how fat it is, it's looks like my 2g one.

With yellowsn0w they are all "sim free"

If you unlock an iPhone with Yellowsn0w, is it possible to update the software? Where in the UK would you recommend buying from?

If you unlock an iPhone with Yellowsn0w, is it possible to update the software?

Impossible to say right now, worst case, you have to wait a week for the dev team to crack it. Most updates from now on wont really be offering much, the latest 2.2 did not really bring to the show.

Any O2 or Carphonewarehouse to get one, if something did go wrong all you have to do is bring it back to the store and it will be sorted, no messing about with some ebay seller................and yes you can wipe the hand set and apple will never know it was yellownn0w'd.

Impossible to say right now, worst case, you have to wait a week for the dev team to crack it. Most updates from now on wont really be offering much, the latest 2.2 did not really bring to the show.

Any O2 or Carphonewarehouse to get one, if something did go wrong all you have to do is bring it back to the store and it will be sorted, no messing about with some ebay seller................and yes you can wipe the hand set and apple will never know it was yellownn0w'd.

I thought if you buy of either of these stores, that you have to buy into a contract? I am currently on Vodafone 'Pay as You Go" and would prefer to stay with Vodafone.

The seller insists that it's not a fake. :rolleyes:

_6.jpg

The iPhone in this photo

http://omg.wthax.org/_1_1.jpg

appears different to

http://omg.wthax.org/_2.jpg

Maybe it's just me ??

I thought if you buy of either of these stores, that you have to buy into a contract? I am currently on Vodafone 'Pay as You Go" and would prefer to stay with Vodafone.

No its on pay as you go. go to 02.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

no your right random. the earpieces are completely different sizes. one has a small slit while the other has a large square hole with a "grille"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I wouldn't say that. The update that includes notifications will be a major update.

Also the UI on the new Palm Pre looks excellent, a big improvement over the iPhone, Apple will likely need to radically improve their UI to compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you unlock an iPhone with Yellowsn0w, is it possible to update the software? Where in the UK would you recommend buying from?

Can you not unlock it with
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=2538

02 (northern ireland) would be the best place then unlock it yourself...

Has anybody bought an iPhone off the O2 UK website? How do you get around the postcode problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

the iphone in the first photo you showed is 100% fake, the gap between the home button and the screen is too big..

however, if u ask me, the second photos you showed us shows a genuine iphone 3g... thats not to say he will send u a genuine one tho..

cojomo2 wrote: »
    the iphone in the first photo you showed is 100% fake, the gap between the home button and the screen is too big..

however, if u ask me, the second photos you showed us shows a genuine iphone 3g... thats not to say he will send u a genuine one tho..

I had suspicions about that seller alright, but was glad to get the confirmation from you guys. I have decided not to buy off this seller and am looking into buying off the O2 UK website, at least this way I can be sure. However, when purchasing, I get as far as the postcode, I don't have a valid code so it stops me going any further. I have tried entering IRL but it is rejected.

bk wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. The update that includes notifications will be a major update.

Also the UI on the new Palm Pre looks excellent, a big improvement over the iPhone, Apple will likely need to radically improve their UI to compete.

If you think Apple will alter the iphone UI in this generation of phone you are crazy! They dont need to, and to be honest if they did, the customers would be up in arms! The a ravage iphone user is not all that tech savvy, it has a much wider audience than just geeks. As a result any change made will be small.

I think you also need to remember what company we are talking about here, why they would add features to a phone that is the best selling phone in the USA and soon to be UK, for free, through an update, when they can make COPY/PATE and PUSH the big selling points of the next iphone.

I can see it now "and we have aded COPY/Paste to this new iphone" the crowd go wild like its the second coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had suspicions about that seller alright, but was glad to get the confirmation from you guys. I have decided not to buy off this seller and am looking into buying off the O2 UK website, at least this way I can be sure. However, when purchasing, I get as far as the postcode, I don't have a valid code so it stops me going any further. I have tried entering IRL but it is rejected.

You cannot buy off the O2 UK website with an Irish address, they will not deliver to this country.

Go up North and buy one.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You cannot buy off the O2 UK website with an Irish address, they will not deliver to this country.

Go up North and buy one.

How about the Carphone Warehouse UK website or the Apple UK Store? Jesus, they really have it all tied up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

How about the Carphone Warehouse UK website or the Apple UK Store? Jesus, they really have it all tied up.

Nope. Well, I haven't tried the Apple UK store, but I have tried the Carphone Warehouse website for iPhone accessories and they won't deliver to Ireland.

It's all to do with Apple's licensing. Sure if they allowed cross-border purchases, I think we all would be buying off the UK site and ignoring O2 Ireland. :)

Advertisement