Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying an iPhone

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Nope. Well, I haven't tried the Apple UK store, but I have tried the Carphone Warehouse website for iPhone accessories and they won't deliver to Ireland.

It's all to do with Apple's licensing. Sure if they allowed cross-border purchases, I think we all would be buying off the UK site and ignoring O2 Ireland. :)

What's the story when you go up north to buy one then? When ever I have bought a phone in the past, I have had to give my address. Do you just give your Southern Address or do you have to tell a porky and give a fake northern address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

CyberDave wrote: »
    What's the story when you go up north to buy one then? When ever I have bought a phone in the past, I have had to give my address. Do you just give your Southern Address or do you have to tell a porky and give a fake northern address?

No idea, I am talking about the pre-pay ones, so I presume you don't have to give a name and address for them.

I will be heading up North to buy the 3G version some time in the next month or two, if you can wait that long, I will let you know. :)

The 16Gig works out at around €410 vs. €569 with O2 Ireland. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Apple have a gift service that works between European countries: http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/campaigns/cross_border?mco=MTE3NzQ

I think it might be possible to use this to order stuff from the UK store.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

No idea, I am talking about the pre-pay ones, so I presume you don't have to give a name and address for them.

I will be heading up North to buy the 3G version some time in the next month or two, if you can wait that long, I will let you know. :)

I def want to stay on 'Pay as You Go'. It's the best for me. If I found out about the details part, I could go up this weekend. I have been thinking of getting an iPhone since before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mobius42 wrote: »
    Apple have a gift service that works between European countries: http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/campaigns/cross_border?mco=MTE3NzQ

I think it might be possible to use this to order stuff from the UK store.

Nope, just tried it. Good idea though. :) Thought you might have save me a trip up North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

bk wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. The update that includes notifications will be a major update.

Also the UI on the new Palm Pre looks excellent, a big improvement over the iPhone, Apple will likely need to radically improve their UI to compete.

No name and address needed, just go up hand over cash and walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How about the Carphone Warehouse UK website or the Apple UK Store? Jesus, they really have it all tied up.

Why would they sell a phone to someone who doesn't live in the country the network operates in? o2 make a LOSS on iphones if they aren't topped up every month.

Fecks sake it's not that big a deal to go on a day trip to the north to buy one.

No name and address needed, just go up hand over cash and walk away.

Not true..you are asked for your postcode so they can register the iphone to you.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Not true..you are asked for your postcode so they can register the iphone to you.

Not true, its pay as you go, they have never asked for any info in the UK for this type of phone, the iphone is no different.

I have purchased two of them on Pay as you go in the UK and not once was I asked for anything other than payment.....

If they are asking for an address its to send you marketing crap.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Why would they sell a phone to someone who doesn't live in the country the network operates in? o2 make a LOSS on iphones if they aren't topped up every month.

No they don't, the contract iPhones are sold below cost, but the pay as you go phones are sold at a profit (both for Apple and o2).

Obviously o2 would rather you use it with their network, as they would make more money, therefore the locking, but they don't make a loss on the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

cojomo2 wrote: »
    the iphone in the first photo you showed is 100% fake, the gap between the home button and the screen is too big..

however, if u ask me, the second photos you showed us shows a genuine iphone 3g... thats not to say he will send u a genuine one tho..

I agree with this, also the ipod button is not labelled ipod its called audioplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

I am thinking of buying an iPhone off a guy in eBay. I have asked him to send me on additional photos so I can have a closer look. This is one of the photos: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=d5df573c75&view=att&th=11ec647615e613de&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

I have noticed that the icons look different to most of the generic screenhsots of the iPhone screen on the net and some of them have different tag names. For example, the SMS icon has 'Write Text' written underneath instead of 'Text'. Do people think this is a genuine iPhone all the other photos look fine. This is the one doubt I have.

ps. I am taking the risk of buying on eBay, so no advice on this please. Thanks.

Who is the seller on ebay? I was looking at one from a seller in ireland but have no way of knowing if it is genuine yet.

Gar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

Not anymore, the pound has recovered a bit. It'll cost 40 euro return to get up there on the train (the bus makes me sick) so it's bringing it closer to the Republic mark plus the hassle of the trip. If the pound drops to 1:1 again I will consider it.
    Silly question: If I go pre-paid, will the phone be forever locked to the O2 network? I will return to Australia in 18 months or so and want to be able to use it there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

It'll be locked to the O2 ireland network. But you can unlock it using the yellowsnow method, which you can find out about either here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ or ask in the iPhone 3G unlock thread.

Not true, its pay as you go, they have never asked for any info in the UK for this type of phone, the iphone is no different.

I've bought two phones here in Scotland, one in o2 shop and the other in Carphone warehouse, and in both instances I was asked for my postcode to register the phone to me for warranty purposes.

I've bought two phones here in Scotland, one in o2 shop and the other in Carphone warehouse, and in both instances I was asked for my postcode to register the phone to me for warranty purposes.

They are talking crap, I have friends who work in both of those shops and they tell me its to send mail crap to you.

The two I got, I was not even asked for any address, if I had been I would have given a false one.

If you have your receipt, thats all you need, you are under no obligation to give any info, personal or otherwise for any electrical product (excluding something on credit or contract).

It is not for warranty purposes, the sales person may even believe that they are telling the truth, they are not.

If anyone does need a UK postcode PM me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If anyone does need a UK postcode PM me.

Stormont Castle - BT4 3SD
    Buckingham Palace - SW1A 1AA

:D

bk wrote: »
    Stormont Castle - BT4 3SD
    Buckingham Palace - SW1A 1AA

:D

It will come up on their computer when they put that postcode in "buckingham palace"...:rolleyes:

Just pick one randomly from a google search.

It will come up on their computer when they put that postcode in "buckingham palace"...:rolleyes:

So what, maybe I do live there :D

Ok so let me get this straight. I could just take an Aircoach for €22 return from Dublin to Belfast, grab myself a 16GB iPhone 3G pre-paid for €431.22 (most recent conversion from £394.45) saving about €140, bring it back to Dublin, pop in my O2 Pre-paid sim card and have it working no problems with the current network and wifi hotspots? No unlocking and jailbreaking necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

obsydion wrote: »
    Ok so let me get this straight. I could just take an Aircoach for €22 return from Dublin to Belfast, grab myself a 16GB iPhone 3G pre-paid for €431.22 (most recent conversion from £394.45) saving about €140, bring it back to Dublin, pop in my O2 Pre-paid sim card and have it working no problems with the current network and wifi hotspots? No unlocking and jailbreaking necessary?

No. You'd have to jailbreak and unlock it.

No. You'd have to jailbreak and unlock it.

Ok cheers, just the straight answer I needed. I combed through the 10 or so pages and couldn't find it! Now I consider myself relatively computer savvy and the unlocking process would even seem fun to me BUT I hesitate only on the grounds that I may F*** the thing royally if I don't do it properly. I've heard that the dodgy mobile 'repair' shops on Aungier St, are able to do this for you (for a price). Would they just be following the same process or would they be doing it via a hardware modification?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

the phone he sent you a pic of is an a88, a chinese knockoff. Its probably worth €200 at best. despite being a knock off it is meant to be pretty decent phone itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

obsydion wrote: »
    Ok cheers, just the straight answer I needed. I combed through the 10 or so pages and couldn't find it! Now I consider myself relatively computer savvy and the unlocking process would even seem fun to me BUT I hesitate only on the grounds that I may F*** the thing royally if I don't do it properly. I've heard that the dodgy mobile 'repair' shops on Aungier St, are able to do this for you (for a price). Would they just be following the same process or would they be doing it via a hardware modification?

There's no hardware modifications needed, it's all just software related, as far as I know it doesn't take too long and is quite straightforward, definitely no need to pay someone to do it for you, if you have the most basic of computer skills.

amull87 wrote: »
    There's no hardware modifications needed, it's all just software related, as far as I know it doesn't take too long and is quite straightforward, definitely no need to pay someone to do it for you, if you have the most basic of computer skills.

Ah ok. What I would also like to know is the worse case scenario i.e. what is the worse thing that could happen during the unlocking process and whether or not it will be recoverable in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

As far as I know, the worse case scenario will be you'll have to restore to factory settings which is basically wiping the whole phone back to how you got it. I don't think there have been many cases of "bricking" (i.e. completely useless) phones with the new ones.

Advertisement