Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel sheving for a garage... where to get in West?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    trying to get the garage tidied up by putting in some shelving. wouldn't mind getting some second hand to cut the cost. needs to be 6-9 foot high and 16foot long.
    i think the metal shelf in Argos would be too light weight so was thinking along the lines of this or this.

anyone know where one could get second hand steel shelving like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,178 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How deep do you need it to be?
    Does it need to be standalone and do you have a solid wall that you can fix it to?
    If you do have a solid wall then I would just build my own.

You can get the framing supplies from the likes of B&Q and make them to exactly fit the available space you have.
    You basically fix vertical, metal supports to the wall which have slots in them every inch or so, then the shelf supports slot into the holes and you screw timber to the supports and you are done. Its totally flexible to suit any space and not terribly hard to do.
    I cant find any pictures online at the minute, but its basically the same system as you will see in most clothes shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

thekooman wrote: »
    hi all,
    trying to get the garage tidied up by putting in some shelving. wouldn't mind getting some second hand to cut the cost. needs to be 6-9 foot high and 16foot long.

anyone know where one could get second hand steel shelving like this?

Hubby bought second hand shelving from a shop that was revamping about two years ago. He paid €500- for the lot.
    It shelved both sides and the back of our fairly large shed, half of our neighbour's shed, half of my dad's shed and half of his neighbours shed.
    Now that is real value. ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Where did you pick that up Donna?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

GreeBo wrote: »
    How deep do you need it to be?
    2 foot would be nice
    Does it need to be standalone and do you have a solid wall that you can fix it to?
    If you do have a solid wall then I would just build my own.
    I don't mind. if i was handy enough with a welder I would just make up lots of wall brackets with 1 inch or so angle and fasten down some 6x2's i have left over from the house building. should do a FAS welding course for a few weeks and make them up....could be worth it! :-)
    You can get the framing supplies from the likes of B&Q and make them to exactly fit the available space you have.
    You basically fix vertical, metal supports to the wall which have slots in them every inch or so, then the shelf supports slot into the holes and you screw timber to the supports and you are done. Its totally flexible to suit any space and not terribly hard to do.
    I cant find any pictures online at the minute, but its basically the same system as you will see in most clothes shops.
    I had a look in Homebase in castlebar this evening and they have the system you are talking about. its these, link1 and link2. They don't look the strongest. they would be good for inside in a house but hey, at least i am getting good ideas. I couldn't see anyone in homebase this evening to ask about them so i might call in again to see what the max weight on them is.

would be interested in where donna's hubby got his. its all about keeping the ear to the ground and been in the right place at the right time for things like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

These guys look pretty good imo:
    http://www.bigdug.co.uk/default.asp
    Not too pricey either.

• Advertisement

Guvnor wrote: »
    These guys look pretty good imo:
    http://www.bigdug.co.uk/default.asp
    Not too pricey either.

that looks good Guvnor. 6 bays of 1800h x 1200w x 600d would be nearly 600euro delivered to ireland. its an option now anyways.

Kooman,

I've never used these guys but the stuff looks very good imo. No nuts or bolts - taps into place and they seem to be able to hold a good amount of weight. I came across them via a full page advert in the car section of the sunday times!

The key factor is not too pricey!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

yop wrote: »
    Where did you pick that up Donna?

Hubby did in Limerick , some shop revamping from a spar to a centra I think. He had the word put out with some workmates that he was looking for some second hand shelving of any sort and a friend of a friend of one of his friends came up with this.

To be fair they are old and worn looking, but a perfect job for a shed, well ours at any rate.

They are typical shop shelving units that come in 1m lengths, are 2m high. They have 5 shelves in each section 2 x 50cm, 2 x 40cm and 2 x 30cm. The shelves can be adjusted to whatever height you require.

To add, I think that there was 45 meters of shelving x 5 shelves high in the original lot, but some was damaged and unable to be used and had to be dumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sister Ray

FWIW, I'm a very satisfied customer of BigDug.

Cheers Ray!

Are they freestanding? Could you secure them to the wall if required?

Cheers

• Advertisement

id say the freestanding ones could be easily strapped to the wall with some galvoband or the likes. thats what i was thinking of doing....

was talking to my brother about it and he reckons the tractor garage where he works may have some shelves coming up soon so i might wait for that before going with bigdug.

just thought i would let people know that i got the garage / steel shelving off Big Dug in the end. got 4 units (1800 X 900 x 450) and 1 table with a shelf on the bottom for 300 delivered. very strong shelving; have 5 bags (2kg each) of left over skim plaster on one of them! have got the garage tidied up a bit anyways!

Advertisement