Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calima Surf Lanzarote - Any good?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Intermediate and newbie heading off for a weeks surfing at the start of April. Anyone have any experience with this crowd? Appear to have good deals.

http://www.calimasurf.com/english/index.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭makker

I didn't go to the camp but i did see the camp in action. The instructors seemed good and the participants seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The beach itself is very nice, there a long stretch of sand and there's plenty of water for everyone. It seems to pick up a lot of swell and would be a good spot to surf for a newbie and intermediate. It can get very windy and is a few degrees colder than one of the more touristy towns on the other side of the island.

The town itself seems pretty quiet.

Dont know of any other beaches to surf nearby but there were some reefs that cater for the more experienced surfer if you rent a car

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

I know this is an old thread but did you end up going to Calima mate? Looking at escaping the xmas madness but want someplace quiet. If I wanted to get drunk for two weeks I could do it at home. What did you make of the place? Instructors good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

excellent school coudnt recommend it highly enough, I went there for 10 days last year solo and lovel it. You can stsay in a shared beach house and meet loads of cool people, I Learned loads too, the instructors and all the staff arereal friendly and entheuastic. Famara is a beautiful spot too, very quiet tho. Would def recommend hiring a car if heading there

So some feedback - Calima but to bed any worries I had. The owner Jota and the instructors are some of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of meeting and if any have ANY problems or questions Jota will sort them for you. Great time, picked up some great tips on where to take my surfing next and met some really cool people. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yeahwell

Hi, new here, really interested to hear how the week in Lanzarote went.
    Trying to get started again, still looking for a week away.
    What kind of age group were at the surf week, how was thw accomondation?
    And most importantly, how was the surf, was it predicable?

Thanks a lot, all info appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Leblanc, did you meet Rueben over there? One of the instructors, pretty wired guy,great surfer. Ended up bringing him to hospital after he attempted an air and his eye met the nose of his board....
    Was with Calima surf camp in both Lanza and fuerteventura. They are excellent, entusiasitic instructors with small classes.
    hard to do a week in famara though if surf doesn't happen or is blown out.
    Very quiet spot. Fuerte has alot of other options and they are based in the main town

@ Yeahwell

Age group ranged from early 20's to mid 40's. Really broad range of people.

Accommodation was good. Clean house with lots of bathrooms, well equipped kitchen and a TV room. Nice roof garden too with a BBQ pit there.

Surf was up and down, got blown out one day and really big for a couple more but then we got days of clean 3-4 foot sets, offshore, air temp in the mid 20's. Depends on your level, if the beach is too big/too small there are other options for intermediate level surfers. A few reefs breaks nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yeahwell

leblanc wrote: »
    @ Yeahwell

Age group ranged from early 20's to mid 40's. Really broad range of people.

Accommodation was good. Clean house with lots of bathrooms, well equipped kitchen and a TV room. Nice roof garden too with a BBQ pit there.

Surf was up and down, got blown out one day and really big for a couple more but then we got days of clean 3-4 foot sets, offshore, air temp in the mid 20's. Depends on your level, if the beach is too big/too small there are other options for intermediate level surfers. A few reefs breaks nearby.

Hi Leblanc,
    Sorry havent been back in a while,
    Thanks for that, it sounds good. Gladd you enjoyed it, sounds like you got some nice days!
    I guess same as anywhere, you are taking your chances with the waves. If there was nothing, is there much else to do?
    I might give it a shot. I think I'll put up a thread to see if there's anymore recommendations

@ Yeahwell

Well, not in Famara. Rent a wee car and there is some nice spots to have a look at. Im a diver too so I popped over to the SE of the island for a few dives, really nice shore dives. Jota in Camila set it up - as per normal!

Also nothing wrong with sitting in the sun, sipping a coffee and watching the world go by!

Advertisement