Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The older man....

Options
  • 11-01-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

In response to the 'Toy boys' thread...

Any of you Ladies like the older man*?? And why? Or why not?

Explain......

**Personally I lurrrrrrrve them older(within reason of course!);)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Always, always, always. Much prefer the older man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

went out with an older guy before , 10-11 years in the difference ,lovely guy but the age thing got to me in the end, he spent a lot of his time with me doing the *facepalm* when i was with him!, then im not the most mature person i guess.. prefer nearer to my age

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I definitely prefer older men, preferably in and around the 29-30 mark. I'm 25, so it's not that much of a leap, but I just find I relate better to guys that age. I find them more straightforward, more settled, and more in tune with what they want than your average 25 year old - who, in my experience, are perpetually afraid of a big scary relationship coming along and ruining their fun. Ooh, I sound awful bitter! Basically, I find dating older men easier... less hassle, less headwreck, and more fun. Oh... and they're better in bed, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

shellyboo wrote: »
    I definitely prefer older men, preferably in and around the 29-30 mark. I'm 25, so it's not that much of a leap, but I just find I relate better to guys that age. I find them more straightforward, more settled, and more in tune with what they want than your average 25 year old - who, in my experience, are perpetually afraid of a big scary relationship coming along and ruining their fun. Ooh, I sound awful bitter! Basically, I find dating older men easier... less hassle, less headwreck, and more fun. Oh... and they're better in bed, too!

Ha! I really wouldn't put 25-30 in the older man category. When I read this thread I was thinking more along the lines of George Clooney, Jose Mourinho, Sean Connery - Yes , Yes and Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I've noticed that as I get older the girls I'm seeing are usually younger.
    Last girlfriend was 24, I'm 28. Previous to that was 20 and I was 26. Now I'm nearly 29 and the new girl I'm kinda dating is 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

dolliemix wrote: »
    Ha! I really wouldn't put 25-30 in the older man category. When I read this thread I was thinking more along the lines of George Clooney, Jose Mourinho, Sean Connery - Yes , Yes and Yes

well, um... they're older than me... so they're in the older man category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

shellyboo wrote: »
    I definitely prefer older men, preferably in and around the 29-30 mark. I'm 25, so it's not that much of a leap, but I just find I relate better to guys that age. I find them more straightforward, more settled, and more in tune with what they want than your average 25 year old - who, in my experience, are perpetually afraid of a big scary relationship coming along and ruining their fun. Ooh, I sound awful bitter! Basically, I find dating older men easier... less hassle, less headwreck, and more fun. Oh... and they're better in bed, too![/quote]

29-30 is still a young 'un in my book:eek:

I completely agree with your last statement though.... Some of my friends think my penchant for men in their thirties+ is a little weird........at statements like this I smile my secret smile and politely inform them that they really have no idea of what they're are missing out on;)....It's a confidence thing moreso than a skill thing though....

And they are generally easier and more fun to date, though you cna encounter the occassional HEADWRECK who is INFINATELY worse than any man in his twenties......It's a sort of evolved headwreckingness too, which makes you very aware of why this man is single at 40(AHEM:mad::eek:)

For his sins he inspired the worst dates thread so it didn't all end so badly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Absolutely. My OH is almost 9 years older than me and I love it cos he has his sh1t together.. He handles the relationship maturely, knows what he likes and doesnt like and knows how to treat a lady...

He maintains, when he was younger his age belied his maturity by about 10 years i.e. when he was 30 he was still acting 20 and for this reason we act about the same age now :D:D

Although some older men can just be too old.

I dated a 43 year old who was old and sensible in a radio one listening slippers wearing kind of way.....terribly sweet man and treated me EXCEPTIONALLY well, but just too boring for my liking.

Tis all about the life perspective I guess; I suspect the man mentioned above would have been equally as dull had he been 33:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I've always gone for older guys, my first long term relationship was with a guy 7 years older when I was 16, and it lasted a few years. I've kind of been on/off single in the past year but most guys I've dated have been at least 2 years older. The thing in Dublin is that alot of younger guys seem to live at home and aren't very independent, that kind of puts me off a bit to be honest because we would have very little in common. It boils down to maturity more than anything.

That said, been seeing a guy a bit lately who's only turning 21 now in 2 weeks, so I may have to change my opinion:pac::p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Soodlebum

Hey folks. Maybe I am too old to be on this site.....48!! (maybe I'm too old to be on the feckin computer). Anyway - a year and a half ago, I found myself suddenly single. (The fecker I had spent the last 25 years with did a runner - to Bangkok - say no more!!!) An admirer showed up (literally - on my doorstep last Valentines Day - with flowers, chocolates and perfume). As I say, I'm 48. He is 71. A widower. Perfect gentleman - was a complete culture shock to me. But................. the age gap was too much for me to get over! My kids are 14,17 & 18. They were horrified. I think if he was Colin Firth, (yum yum), they would have been horrified, but they used the huge age gap as a reason to be horrified. I ended the relationship with the 'coffin dodger' - (to quote my kids) because of their opposition, and ever since, I am wondering.........
    Your views, observations, comments would be hugely appreciated. BTW - I didn't fancy him!! But I really loved the attention. Jaysus. I'm a mess!!!! Answers on a postcard, please..............

Soodlebum wrote: »
    BTW - I didn't fancy him!! But I really loved the attention.

Ok well for this reason alone you did the right thing. Even a 'coffin dodger' deserves to be in a relationship with someone for all the right reasons....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

I've always been interested in the concept of seeing an older man.....I'm 19, oldest I've been with is 24, but from my experience, guys around my age bore me after a while, a lot of them are very naiive and a few of them were unbelievably clingy and possessive, and emotionally immature. Obviously not all guys my age are like that, but I always seem to run into them...thats the main reason the older man thing appeals to be tbh.

Also, the whole suave charming stereotype is great....and a big +1 on Clooney ;)

Soodlebum wrote: »
    Hey folks. Maybe I am too old to be on this site.....48!! (maybe I'm too old to be on the feckin computer). Anyway - a year and a half ago, I found myself suddenly single. (The fecker I had spent the last 25 years with did a runner - to Bangkok - say no more!!!) An admirer showed up (literally - on my doorstep last Valentines Day - with flowers, chocolates and perfume). As I say, I'm 48. He is 71. A widower. Perfect gentleman - was a complete culture shock to me. But................. the age gap was too much for me to get over! My kids are 14,17 & 18. They were horrified. I think if he was Colin Firth, (yum yum), they would have been horrified, but they used the huge age gap as a reason to be horrified. I ended the relationship with the 'coffin dodger' - (to quote my kids) because of their opposition, and ever since, I am wondering.........
    Your views, observations, comments would be hugely appreciated. BTW - I didn't fancy him!! But I really loved the attention. Jaysus. I'm a mess!!!! Answers on a postcard, please..............

Well to be honest, age difference or no age difference I think your answer is in the above statement....attention or no attention, if you weren't attracted to him initially the changes are the whole thing would have fizzled out of it's own acccord anyway...never settle lady!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

when i was 20 i dated a guy twice my age for 18 months. i really cared about him but he was never into the stuff i was with my mates and that. ended up cheating on him lots and got caught. he understood funnily enough and we remained good friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Rabies wrote: »
    I've noticed that as I get older the girls I'm seeing are usually younger.
    Last girlfriend was 24, I'm 28. Previous to that was 20 and I was 26. Now I'm nearly 29 and the new girl I'm kinda dating is 20.
    :eek:

dude I know exactly what you mean.... and looking back im the same, a year younger, thats weird

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tis all about the life perspective I guess; I suspect the man mentioned above would have been equally as dull had he been 33:rolleyes:
    That I would agree with. I look around at my mates and the ones who are the "youngest" in attitude are actually of no real age as such. They never were. they were never the stereotypical 18/20/30/35 year old. They were just them. They look the youngest by far too. The rest are either guys trying to relive or desperately miss an age in their life were they felt "right". Some are now happy to be oul fellas because they always were oul fellas. I've noted women are not nearly as prone to this for some reason. They may be twitchy and self conscious about physical aspects of aging more than men, but mentally they don't seem as conscious at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Traditionally i always went for the older man..... had a few BF's eight or more years older than me. My OH is now two years older than me and i prefer it that way. The first older guy( had a willy like a chicken nugget some of you know the story) I went out with was 10 years older and in the end it was like I was more mature than him.

MJOR wrote: »
    had a willy like a chicken nugget

Not a good picture in my head right now.... :D

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Not a good picture in my head right now.... :D

lol! Not good in the flesh either SS!!! A nice guy...

• Advertisement

A nice guy...

No amount of nice can compensate for that though :D

SarahSassy wrote: »
    No amount of nice can compensate for that though :D

yeah you're right..... he is getting married this year so i guess someone likes her mcnuggetts!! lol:D

yeah you're right..... he is getting married this year so i guess someone likes her mcnuggetts!! lol:D

And this brings us back to the thread on 'desperate' women....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tismenotyou

oh yes older men for me please !!
    not too old mind lol..
    they just know the score ..
    no jelousy (ime) no sh*te talk no crap
    and omg in the sack .. haha
    cant stand blokes my age never could ?
    my other half is 9 years older
    wouldn`t ave it any other way ....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yep a bit older for the maturity aspect, they really seem to know their stuff, re:life experinec etc... more inclined to call a spade a spade i.e if they liked you they would tell you, none of this sitting on the fence craic..

only thing iv thought about would be just that a guy whos 28 would be looking *maybe*?? to settle down at that age? and me being 22, well i have still to do my masters and travelling and well basically growing up to do! so as much as id like to see an older guy, i wouldnt want to waste his time if ya get me?

Another thing and i may be a bit crude here but older guys out there must be flattered at all us young hotties pining after them!!! they must be like...

"Whoa! class! iv got a hot young wan whos into me!! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another thing and i may be a bit crude here but older guys out there must be flattered at all us young hotties pining after them!!! they must be like...

"Whoa! class! iv got a hot young wan whos into me!! :D

Well I would be if I knew where I could find myself one of these young hotties. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

were everywhere!

just look at this thread!!! LOL!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I went out for drinks with a guy who was nine years older than me. We got on great but I felt so young and inexperienced by comparison. As some of the other posters have said, it felt a bit that, at 29 and with a good job and a far better idea of where his life was heading, he was almost ready to settle down. Whereas I'm only twenty and still in college. He was a gentleman though. At the end of the night he invited me back to his. I politely declined and so he kissed me on the cheek and put me in a taxi. And rang me to make sure I got home ok. Although, it did give me the feeling he was babying me which further put me off the idea of seeing him again... :P

I do find myself attracted to older men though. Seán Connery, Pierce Brosnan and Bruce Willis. Yes please. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

this thread is insitive.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Hmmm older ftw. I went out with a MUCH older guy for a good while when I was around 20 and had the best times with him. He had just gotten divorced so was into having fun and doing crazy things (trying to recapture the lost years I think...).

Now that I am feeling the years creep up on me I have a certain fondness for younger men (trying to recapture my lost years perhaps ;)) but I don't think there's any potential in it because we're usually going in different directions.
    [/]sweeping generalisation

I feel like having been 'around the block' so to speak I am just too jaded to handle the drama that can come with younger fellas. They're lovely though. :P

Advertisement