Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The older man....

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Another thing and i may be a bit crude here but older guys out there must be flattered at all us young hotties pining after them!!! they must be like...

"Whoa! class! iv got a hot young wan whos into me!! :D
    :D There is defo something to it. If I could get a time machine and grab my 25 year old self and we both went to a house party or somesuch, if we both liked the same say 25 year old woman, then he may as well get his coat in most cases. I suppose its the confidence that comes with age. You certainly know way more about yourself emotionally as a guy over say 35 than you did at 25. That would appeal too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's an odd one tbh, certainly before my mid 20s it was older more intresting men that I was interested in but the older I got the older they got and a lot ( with some notable exceptions yeah so shrrrup wibbs and zaph ) of what would be single men who are 7 years plus older then me are either out of train wrecks of long term relationships or are the can't really fend for themselves bachelor types with a range of 'issues' and not as intresting or open minded or mentally agile ( or physically so ) then younger guys but well then younger guys have their own issues too, which really would be the other thread :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've dated women who were everything from 3/4 years older to 9 years younger, and can't say I have a definite preference - it depends totally on the person, I'm more attracted to personality and looks than anything to do with age or maturity. Having said that, I'm told I look a lot younger than I am, so maybe thats why I haven't gone out with as many women who were older/around my age.
    Current gf is 9 years younger, biggest age gap I've had, but I can't say she is less mature than anyone else I've dated. It is nice having a gorgeous young one into you though!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Zzippy wrote: »
    It is nice having a gorgeous young one into you though!! :D

That's what himself reckons also...LOL;)

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It's an odd one tbh, certainly before my mid 20s it was older more intresting men that I was interested in but the older I got the older they got and a lot ( with some notable exceptions yeah so shrrrup wibbs and zaph ) of what would be single men who are 7 years plus older then me are either out of train wrecks of long term relationships or are the can't really fend for themselves bachelor types with a range of 'issues' and not as intresting or open minded or mentally agile ( or physically so ) then younger guys but well then younger guys have their own issues too, which really would be the other thread :D

+1.... the trainwreck types, older or younger(the older ones have a certain brand of bitterness about them) must be avoided at all costs.

The boring bastards need to be avoided too; unless you want to die a slow painful monotonous death....yaaaaawwwwwwwn....

*shudder*

• Advertisement

+1.... the trainwreck types, older or younger(the older ones have a certain brand of bitterness about them) must be avoided at all costs.

The boring bastards need to be avoided too; unless you want to die a slow painful monotonous death....yaaaaawwwwwwwn....

*shudder*

or find yourself being judged pretty much for damn near everything you do. :rolleyes:

or find yourself being judged pretty much for damn near everything you do. :rolleyes:

Or have done in the past:rolleyes:

cos they're Mr Peter perfect on their Peter perfect pedestal in their Peter perfect life:rolleyes:

Which obviously explains why they're single....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

My current boyfriend is quite a lot older than me 10+ years, but I have to say that I have never been in a more loving relationship before. The age difference is no big deal for either of us, and I wouldnt change him for the world...so in my opinion "The Older Man".........love him LOL!!!!

Or have done in the past:rolleyes:

cos they're Mr Peter perfect on their Peter perfect pedestal in their Peter perfect life:rolleyes:

Which obviously explains why they're single....;)

And no one will ever love and respect them they way their Mammy does...
    or the ex that got away that reminded them of their Mammy.

And no one will ever love and respect them they way their Mammy does...
    or the ex that got away that reminded them of their Mammy.

The perfect ex you mean!! The oh so perfect ex of Peter perfect with whom you will never compare........

Dear lord it's bringing back some horrible memories.....I'm glad that I got away to be honest...

• Advertisement

The perfect ex you mean!! The oh so perfect ex of Peter perfect with whom you will never compare........

Dear lord it's bringing back some horrible memories.....I'm glad that I got away to be honest...

There are ways to stop those flash backs, sing " I am what I am" helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I’ve always had a habit of getting with younger girls than me. I’ve gone out with a few people in and around my age but definitely more younger. Don’t know why that is, I can’t put my finger on it.
    only thing iv thought about would be just that a guy whos 28 would be looking *maybe*?? to settle down at that age? and me being 22, well i have still to do my masters and travelling and well basically growing up to do! so as much as id like to see an older guy, i wouldnt want to waste his time if ya get me?

I definitely wouldn't judge everyone like that. I'm 27 and am no way looking at anyone I meet as potential to settle down. I think that has been a problem with some girls I've liked, they haven't said it but I get an inkling that they get cold feet because of the small age gap. I'm hardly ancient and I don't think I look it, the last girl I dated thought I was 21 when she met me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Older men are okay. As much flack as older single women get for being desperate or having baggage, I'd say there are older men with similar issues (not all older guys, just some).
    Before last week, I had casually dated a guy who was 11 years older than me. He's a sweet guy, but a complete committment phobe. He's never had a relationship longer than 6 months.
    Last week, I went out with a guy who's about 13-14 years older than me and he was the complete opposite. On the second date, he was planning summer trips for us to take. He's very keen on being in a committed relationship, which puts me off as it makes me think he just wants to be in a relationship without putting much thought into who he's in a relationship with, if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭holdmyhand?

I have always gone out with guys at least 4 years older... guys my own age just don't seem to have the 'cop on' although saying there are a few 24 -29 year olds out there that belong back in 6th year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭AnnieB82

If I had to go one way or the other, I would definitely go for an older man. I used to always fancy guys in their late 30s/ 40s since I was a teenager. I'm just not attracted to guys with boyish/babyface looks. I ended up with a guy 1 and a half years older than me in the end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

does the older man still appeal when the younger women has dreams of wedding, kids etc admittedly the older man may already have the house sorted and mortgage halved but do you want the father of your kids to be much older than yourself? Do you want to be 50 with a gummy 70 year old for a husband? i can definitly see the advantages of the older man but it doesnt seem like 'the long term game plan' to me. am i totally wrong? as a guy who has occasionally attended gym and public swimming pool locker rooms i can tell you that old man ass is nasty.

does the older man still appeal when the younger women has dreams of wedding, kids etc admittedly the older man may already have the house sorted and mortgage halved but do you want the father of your kids to be much older than yourself? Do you want to be 50 with a gummy 70 year old for a husband? i can definitly see the advantages of the older man but it doesnt seem like 'the long term game plan' to me. am i totally wrong? as a guy who has occasionally attended gym and public swimming pool locker rooms i can tell you that old man ass is nasty.

I guess this is dependant on the individual relationship really and the age of the people involved.

But from a practical point of view anything up to 15 years wouldn't really carry any issue??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I just posted something similar in the ''Toyboy'' thread about this. The fact is, older men are fun in your twenties and thirties, but you don't want to be wiping his ass in his seventies when you're still young(ish) and sexual woman.

Good learning experience, but the very big age gaps are best avoided if your looking long term. Anything up to 12 years is fine by me, over that, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭twentysomething

My OH is nearly 17 years older than me, and i certainly wouldn't have it any other way. Most of the time we wouldn't even notice the difference, except that he's travelled a few more places than i have, although i'm working hard on catching up!
    But seriously, we have alot in common and get on much better that anyone else i've gone out with, plus he doesnt look anywhere near his age! :D

Advertisement