Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course advice...

Options
  • 11-01-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

http://graduatestudies.nuim.ie/prospective/higher_dip/HDipIT.shtml

Hi,

This is a similar thread to another one on here...but I didn't want to hijack the other persons thread.

I am considering applying for the above course this year (it starts in Sept/Oct).

However...I'm thinking of doing a short (hopefully cheap!) course between now and then...one that will prepare me a bit for the Maynooth course, and also help me see if IT is really for me or not.

I come from a non-computing background, so I want to do a shorter course, before committing to the year long NUI Maynooth one.

I'm just wondering if anyone could recommend any courses, that would be revelant to the NUI course, and would basically give me an idea of what working in IT would be like. I'm looking for an actual physical course as opposed to an internet tutorial. One that is based in Dublin and runs for 6-12 weeks (one or two evenings per week) would be ideal.

p.s. I'm a complete IT newbie! No programming / web design experience or anything.

Thanks a million.

Also, can anyone recommend a good beginners book for learning Java? Java is covered in the course I am interested in, so I figure if I give it a shot now I'll have an idea as to whether programming is really for me or not....and if it is, my new knowledge of Java will help me in the H Dip! :)

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The only one I could think of off the top of my head is ECDL, but that in itself might be a little too basic for you.

How much experience of using computers do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The only one I could think of off the top of my head is ECDL, but that in itself might be a little too basic for you.

How much experience of using computers do you have?

Sorry, I should've been a bit more specific about my IT experience!
    I have no experience or knowledge of programming, wed design etc.
    I have heaps of experience with all the usual software packages though, word, excel, powerpoint etc. I also use alot of accounting packages in my current job also and in previous jobs.
    I did a bit of IT in college too. One module each year was IT related.

I guess I'm looking for some kind of beginners programming course or web design course. Something that relates to the NUI Maynooth course I am interested in.
    Firstly, to give me an idea if IT really is for me (before applying and paying etc).
    Secondly, if I decide IT is for me, it would be great if the short course I did actually helped me in the H Dip course...if that makes sense?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

....bumping this...as I'm now looking for book advice too :)
    I tried to change the title but it didn't work, so bumping this instead. (Hope that's okay!).

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Advertisement