Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Price savings in Northern Ireland

• 11-01-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm currently building and i'm just starting the roofing of the house. I'm seriously worried i've run overbudget so far (extra steel, hollocore difficulties, etc.). I'm really looking to tighten my belt for the rest of the build, so i've two questions:

1. I'm thinking about sourcing supplies up the north (Plumbing stuff, timber floors, all electricals goods, maybe even insulation materials). Has anybody any experience of this. Will i save money? where can i go? will they deliver? I'm certain there must be money to be saved

2. I'm 99% certain of going with a geothermal system. Has anybody ever dealt with '<SNIP>' in Kerry? I'm down to them and one other. Just working on getting the price down etc.

I'd be eternally grateful for any help with either

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'm sure you would save money but If you are building in Kerry, then you would need to buy in large bulk for delivery.

If you knew of a company from Kerry making regular deliveries to the North, might be possible to collect materials for you on (empty) trucks heading home to Kerry! Negiotiate costs.

Will PM Cork Heat pump supplier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nictom

Thanks a million,

Am actually living in Roscommon! Got in touch with <SNIP> through a friend. Good idea about the haulage company

Mod edit: Please refrain from posting business names please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Hi,

Just an example, I priced my plumbing materials out here in donegal and both quotes came in around the 8000 mark, I priced a company in derry and their price would work out at around 6000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nictom

Thanks Gerry,

I thought there could be a difference in price alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5 3plunkett

Was thinking the very same, we are hopefully going to start our self build in the coming months (Galway) and are going to look into sourcing stuff from Northern Ireland, we were thinking about buying an old van and doing a few runs...There is a good number of building suppliers in Newry you should have a look at and maybe contact for quotes.

All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 wexfordbuild

Velux S06 (saved 140 euro per window and i think it was 15 euro per slate flashing) on southern prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bigbru

Hi Wexfordbuild, how much are those Velus S06 windows north and south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

I'm building outside Dundalk, just South of the bother & in the current climate I'm saving a fortune. At cill level so
    25/N concrete £43 p/tonne €47.77 @ .9 exchange
    Cheapest in Dundalk €66, dearest 82, six prices sourced,
    saving of 12 - 34 p/tonne :D

4" blocks £300 or €333.33 p/1000 blocks
    Cheapest South €460 quality unknown, 2 biggest suppliers - 564 & 534
    saving 160 - 230 p/1000 :eek:

Sand, Dust, Stone all cheaper.

Just ordered granite cills from a crowd in Forkhill for €680 (9 to front, 3 on sunroom, about 17/18m)
    Got 3 quotes from southern suppliers, cheapest was 1,010 plus delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

dfcelt, we should be starting our new build in March/April. I wouldnt mind having a chat with you regarding suppliers etc. I am in the same area and I reckon most if not all our money will be going North, from the timber frame, to blocks, windows and doors.
    We have tried to support the local economy as much as possible, but its unrealistic now. The price difference is too much. Even labour costs are much less from Northern builders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 332i

Well lads,

I'm new to the board and in the same position as many of you just starting a new build. Lots of good information and knowledgeable people here.

I was also thinking of sourcing materials from the north and getting them delivered to the site in co.cork.

Any contacts you might have come across for suppliers would be appreciated. I'm looking into buying the insulation, windows if possible, velux windows basicly i suppose as much as i can arrange then keep the labour side of things local to do a little for the local lads running short of work.

If you could pm or post it would be really appreciated

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bryston

Re. Plumbing suppliers in the Nth, AJ Plumbing in Newry is servicing the South regularly.

cheers bryston, contact noted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

I've priced about 18 rads north and south - for identical spec they are coming in about €160 cheaper (before any delivery chges) up north, but that's from Belfast to the west so not really worth the hassle.

However I'm led to believe there will be much better savings at plumbing 2nd fix (bathroom fittings etc) - assuming the current x-rates hold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

Dont forget internet for sanitaryware,flooring,lighting and most other things.The latest thing we are getting delivered is a brand new inset fireplace. Just under £300 inc delivery. Similar ones here come in at around e800.
    Getting all our slate flooring shipped over too.
    The problem over here is the lack of competition leading to a "take it or leave it" attitude amongst the retailers. They think you can't get the stuff anywhere else exept down the road for a very similar price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

Hi folks,
    will be starting my selfbuild over the next few weeks also..
    would it be possible to get contact numbers, websites, etc of where I can source these please?

Regards,
    Eddie

lads,

is there any problems with duty or the like if bringing a truck load of building materials from the north

Yes, you should stop at the Customs Post as soon as you cross the border, queue with all the lorry drivers and fill out the relevant forms and pay all taxes due to the government.
    Do you not do that every time you go to Sainsburys? :rolleyes:

knowledge is power, sarcasim is not;)

just covering all angles, a truck load of timber is a little more noticeable than a bag of shopping wouldn't you say:confused:

Its common sense really, but in all seriosness you will save a lot of money by going North. We will be starting or new build in March/April and I reckon all the money will be going North, the difference in quotes/prices is astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 thunderRoad

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the forum have been lurking for a while now and it seems to be a great resorce, i'm starting a new build in galway in the coming weeks,
    has anyone got prices of kingspan or similar in the north

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

Hi, I am currently building in East Galway. I was wondering would it make sense for a couple of self builders to band together and buy materials up North and therefore half the transport costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Graaaaa

Fuchia,

We're going for planning in Connemara, have been thinking about finding second fix, tiles etc. now and storing in the back garden until needed.
    Organising a 'bulk-buy/bulk-delivery' group sounds like a great idea to me. not sure how the logistics would work out, but count me in with any developments.

ps. couldn't pm, new here and not enough posts yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gwheels

Hi Wexfordbuild, can you send me on details of the Velux supplier? Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gaughral

Hi,
    Im new to this can anyone let me know of the cheapest velux suppliers in the north also im getting to stage of building roof and looking for cheapest suppliers for materials aswell.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭selfbuildache

Fuchia, Graaa + Thunderroad,
    I too am starting a build in Galway and would possibly be interested in a trip up north (haven't priced 2nd fixings yet!).

WexfordBuild - I'd also be interested in the Velux suppliers up north if you've the time to PM us all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

ive had a mixed bag to be truthful, for skirting people were saying cranwood, but i found Agnew's in cavan way cheaper and the quality was a1, they also will do any profile for you,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 Bel2210

We are also building in Donegal and have found the price differences between north and south crazy. We are lucky enough to live close to the border so have bought most of our building supplies in Derry. After pricing around everywhere for bathroom products it worked out half the price (including delivery) to have all our items shipped over from the uk. We have saved 1000 euro on our range cooker alone buying from the UK. All our furniture, lighting and electrical goods will be bought over the border, and the savings we have made have allowed us to put better quality finishings, extra insulation, oak doors, skirtings and stairs into the house - and we have still saved money. All I can say is shop around, never pay full price for anything and don't compromise on quality. I have found ebay great for buying alot of our things. We are hoping to move in soon (waiting for the finished floor to dry at the moment) and can honestly say for us it really has been worthwhile doing a self build. We have saved a fortune, and ended up with exactly what we wanted at each stage of the build. I would have been lost without all the help and advise gained from this site as well so thanks eveyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gwheels

Bel2210 wrote: »
    We are also building in Donegal and have found the price differences between north and south crazy. We are lucky enough to live close to the border so have bought most of our building supplies in Derry. After pricing around everywhere for bathroom products it worked out half the price (including delivery) to have all our items shipped over from the uk. We have saved 1000 euro on our range cooker alone buying from the UK. All our furniture, lighting and electrical goods will be bought over the border, and the savings we have made have allowed us to put better quality finishings, extra insulation, oak doors, skirtings and stairs into the house - and we have still saved money. All I can say is shop around, never pay full price for anything and don't compromise on quality. I have found ebay great for buying alot of our things. We are hoping to move in soon (waiting for the finished floor to dry at the moment) and can honestly say for us it really has been worthwhile doing a self build. We have saved a fortune, and ended up with exactly what we wanted at each stage of the build. I would have been lost without all the help and advise gained from this site as well so thanks eveyone! :)
    Hi Bel2210, Can you PM me on some of the suppliers that you used in the north & uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 V6DEC

Hi Bel2210, Can you PM me on some of the suppliers that you used in the north & uk too please? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 OllieMc

Hey Bel2210. can you PM me them details as well. Sarting to build in Skigo soon so need to start pricing.

Thanks

Advertisement