Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price savings in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Me too if you don't mind - haven't bought anything yet but looking at the options and costs at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

I have looked at buying materials in Northern Ireland. I priced the items in four locations, two in N.Ireland and two in the south. The least expensive was the South. Buyer beware!

No need to travel too far to get value, just look around and get plenty of quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Big Dee

I am building a house in Co Louth. I priced around and most of the materials are from the north as they were cheaper.
    Just one point, the plumbing pipes / radiators etc are different sizes north and south (imperial v metric??) so be careful there. It's not a big issue but check with your plumber before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Big Dee wrote: »
    I am building a house in Co Louth. I priced around and most of the materials are from the north as they were cheaper.
    Just one point, the plumbing pipes / radiators etc are different sizes north and south (imperial v metric??) so be careful there. It's not a big issue but check with your plumber before buying.
    Yes, a very good point. People should be aware of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 332i

have any of you guys received the pm from bel2210, as i could do with it also please will be purchasing to rather soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

Hi Guys,

Could someone PM me aswell.

Thanks

Fuchia

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

Has anyone done a comparison between the prices of plumbing second fix (including delivery) between the North and Germany? There are a number of companies mentioned in the reference material thread.

Also, any recommendations on where the best price for Veissmann gas boilers is? Please PM me on the latter.

Finally, noticed some mention of sourcing concrete in the above posts. I discusses the very same issue with a Dublin supplier (75 Euro per m3). He said he wouldn't purchase concrete from anyone other that the main suppliers and 'to be careful of the distance'. Something about the quality decreasing the longer it stays in the truck (curing). Is this bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Graaaaa

Finally, noticed some mention of sourcing concrete in the above posts. I discusses the very same issue with a Dublin supplier (75 Euro per m3). He said he wouldn't purchase concrete from anyone other that the main suppliers and 'to be careful of the distance'. Something about the quality decreasing the longer it stays in the truck (curing). Is this bull?

Not bull. Concrete is a mixture containing cement, water, sand and gravel - yes, this goes off over time as it is a chemical reaction and eventually the ingredients will have completed reacting. The longer from mixing to pouring, the more chance that it will have gone off and be too stiff.

Ready-mix suppliers will alter the proportion of the ingredients a little to allow for shorter and longer trips, but there is still a time limit. this is why the guys in concrete trucks wash out the tank after delivering, instead of returning to the supplier and finding a cube of cured concrete has ruined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 duffer21

If someone could Pm me aswell it would be great. Just roofing at the minute and we're thinking about heading north for plasterboard, insulation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I'd appreciate a PM from someone on this too please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Can you guys please pm me suppliers and prices please for plumbing, electrical,insulation and plasterboard please.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

:)Hi, I e-mailed a few places in the north but only one crowd in Tyrone have got back to me with a price for all the roofing materials.I would be making a saving of 1200 euros after delivery !! Money I could spend elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sian Power

Hi Eddie...

How are you...?? Im new to this...and happen to be in the middle of building and renovating an old cottage.. lucky enough my dad is a builder and uncles are tradesmen, so this keeps costs low... did you have any luck with contacts from any of the other bloggers up North...I am looking for suppliers of roof slates and windows / doors...

Thank you...

:-)
    Sian

murphyep wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    will be starting my selfbuild over the next few weeks also..
    would it be possible to get contact numbers, websites, etc of where I can source these please?

Regards,
    Eddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sian Power

Hi there...

Who were these guys providing roofing supplies alot cheaper??

Tnx

rodge68 wrote: »
    :)Hi, I e-mailed a few places in the north but only one crowd in Tyrone have got back to me with a price for all the roofing materials.I would be making a saving of 1200 euros after delivery !! Money I could spend elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bel2210

Hi Sian have pm'd you

Hi sian, PM me and I will pass it on to you !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gaughral

Anyone able to pm me on this aswell.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right guys/gals. This thread is now in a new sub forum and in this forum we are prepared to allow business/company names to be posted providing there is no attempt by anyone to pimp or shill a particular business. We would prefer if multiple business were named so as to avoid the possibility of the posts being viewed as pimping.

If its going to help the community here and you have no association with the business/company being named then by all means go for it. If in doubt contact any of the mods in advance.

This is the firm I got the Quote off:
    w: www.quinnbuildingsupplies.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 minerbhoy67

can you post details of your concrete block supplier,tried sending message but not enougfh posts,thanks

• Advertisement

Hi I got my concrete blocks off Moroneys in Broadford in East Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pixierosa

Coming to end of Blockwork for new build in Monaghan and I am currently acquring pricing for roof- timber, materials etc - Also trying to get a good price for the Velux windows - Could anybody advise me on northern suppliers please:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Guys,

Was in Newry over the weekend and thought I would pop into AJ Plumbing to have a look... Wow is all I can say... They had a fab suite - back, toilet, sink (and all accesories - taps etc) for £1400 but they had a 35% discount off the the range as it's their 30th Anniversary... overall price was about €1050 for the lot! I was really tempted but havent even got planning permission finalised yet so would be very premature! Will definitely be tempted though to go back up in a few months...

One thing to bear in mind is the different fittings for plumbing between North and South... It's either all Northern or all Southern fittings (including pipework) so that is going to be a factor buying up North...

voodoo wrote: »
    One thing to bear in mind is the different fittings for plumbing between North and South... It's either all Northern or all Southern fittings (including pipework) so that is going to be a factor buying up North...

You can get away with metric compression fittings (22mm & 15mm) with imperial pipe & olives (1/2 & 3/4) but not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sirdeclan

Hello there. was just reading your post and wondering how you got on with sourcing materials in the North. have you any tips or names of companies or websites that you found to be the cheapest. Id be very grateful.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 donal1981

fuchia wrote: »
    Hi, I am currently building in East Galway. I was wondering would it make sense for a couple of self builders to band together and buy materials up North and therefore half the transport costs.
    Hi Fuchia
    I am building Galway at present (Just finishing blocks)
    I would use the northern delivery service if available? Whats the latest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

I'd really appreciate that PM too Bel...or anyone who recieved it off Bell already. Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sk19

Hi

Just roofing stage at the moment. Labour costs in the south have come down which is great but materials still very pricey. I’m based in the west. Just wondering does anyone know any good builders provider in Enniskillen. Or anywhere else in the north that deliver.

If you could pm or post it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sk19

Bel2210 wrote: »
    We are also building in Donegal and have found the price differences between north and south crazy. We are lucky enough to live close to the border so have bought most of our building supplies in Derry. After pricing around everywhere for bathroom products it worked out half the price (including delivery) to have all our items shipped over from the uk. We have saved 1000 euro on our range cooker alone buying from the UK. All our furniture, lighting and electrical goods will be bought over the border, and the savings we have made have allowed us to put better quality finishings, extra insulation, oak doors, skirtings and stairs into the house - and we have still saved money. All I can say is shop around, never pay full price for anything and don't compromise on quality. I have found ebay great for buying alot of our things. We are hoping to move in soon (waiting for the finished floor to dry at the moment) and can honestly say for us it really has been worthwhile doing a self build. We have saved a fortune, and ended up with exactly what we wanted at each stage of the build. I would have been lost without all the help and advise gained from this site as well so thanks eveyone! :)

Hi

I'd really appreciate it if you could PM the details

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi could you PM details aalso. Thanks

Advertisement