Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Wireless Alarm [Moved from DIY]

Options
  • 11-01-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

hi
    i've recently moved into a house which has a wired alarm system in it.
    i'm getting the windows at the front of the house replaced and the window company have said they will bury the alarm cables in the frame and get the alarm company out to wire up the sensors
    but thats got me to thinking as to why i'd want to pay someone to replace the sensor when i could buy and install a wireless system myself.

i've checked the forums here and seen that the preference would be to stick with wired if you have it installed already but to be honest the existing installed system is pig Ugly with a capital U... there are wire conduits running up walls and around windows frames- nasty ... a very shoddy piece of work and i'd like to rip it out and replace it with a wireless system...
    can anybody recommend a good system to install?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I'd not go Wireless - I'd stay wired.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

But you already said the window guys would be burying the wires. So it wouldn't be pig ugly any more. Both are equally reliable. But if you can wire it would be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭fillup

i see what ur getting at koolkid but whilst the wires in the front frames will be buried and hidden away there are cable runs all over the gaff.. the wires in the windows will be hidden but the run to the cnetral unit is exposed.. if i stay wired i'll have to bury the buggers some how.
    also nicefella you reckon stay wired why is that???
    is it a cost thing??? or is it a reliabilty thing?

i 've checked ebay for wireless systems and they're not that expensive..
    but i want to know if any one can recommend a reliable sytem???? or are there any pit/prat falls to watch out for????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Reliability, if you buy off cheap ebay stuff, thats NOT what you'll get. You'll get a system that will be the bain on your life, and your neighbours will hate you for it.

agreed nicefella hence the query...
    rather than pay eircom or some other supplier to install something i reckon i could do myself i'm looking to see if anyone has experienced a system they could recommend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Wired & wireless are both as reliable provided they comply to the relevant standards.
    The DIY systems you buy on Ebay ect most likely won't. The other side of wireless is how it looks. Yes you can get rid of most of the wiring, but wiring is still required for keypad & bells. Also the sensors & contacts are bulkier than their wired counterparts.
    If you are going with wirless I would recommend the Aritech CS250 with 16 channel reciever. If more is required the SigNet would be a good option also.
    You can also intergrate wirless into any alarm system using Aritech Quickbridge reciever.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

For a diy install the Visonic powermax is a good choice. You can get this online from the UK

thanks for the advice lads... it looks more complicated than i thought.. i've checked out other threads on boards and it seems like there's a bewildering array of options...
    more research required me thinks but it looks like i'll be staying away from the cheap n nasty options.....

Good luck with it. If you need any help PM me any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

certain wired systems like aritech and hkc can take a 433 mhz receiver to allow you to connect wireless sensors up to a wired system. this would be an option if you had one of these modern wired systems. the sensors that im aware of that work with this system are made by ge and are the same ones used by phonewatch and include contacts, inerita contacts, pirs, break glass detectors,and remote operation devices(keyfobs and remote controls).

• Advertisement

The Aritech quick bridge can actuall be used on any system.

Advertisement