Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cranking up a radio signal to receive BBC Radio 2

• 11-01-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hello folks. I would appreciate your advice. My mother enjoys listening to Terry Wogan on BBC Radio 2. She used to be able to hook her radio into her old NTL/Chorus aerial thing and receive this channel on her radio, but since she changed to Sky, she can't receive it. I managed to configure her TV to pick up the channel but as she has a slight hearing problem and the TV's at the other end of her house, it was annoying the neighbours and also making anyone asleep upstairs rocket out of their beds like startled pheasants. :) So! I was going to save up and buy her a netbook or something like that, so she could stream the channel via iPlayer on the BBC website, but I don't really have the spare cash, even if she was comfortable enough with computers not to consider logging on to iPlayer a major hassle fest.

Ideally, it would be great if she could just tune into BBC Radio 2 on her existing radio. Any suggestions on how to achieve this? Thanks very much in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hi

If you live on the east coast i'm sure it could be achieved, but if your down the country it may be tricky.

If you pop into maplins or check them online i'm sure they would have some device or amplified radio that might suit your needs.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Family.aspx?Menu=1628&worldid=-5

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you have wifi network in the house, then the likes of a wifi internet radio would be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

I use a dell axim x51 pda with an app called pocket player to stream internet radio. It has internal speakers so no need for hedphones. best 100e i ever spent, can get loads of bbc streams, international radio, podcasts and listen to them all around the house

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

byte wrote: »
    If you have wifi network in the house, then the likes of a wifi internet radio would be the way to go.

What type would you recommend and where is the best place to buy ?

byte

I'm probably not the best person to ask. I do have a Logik IR100 (Currys/PCWorld exclusive brand) which is OK, though wifi sensitivity is iffy.

I'd advise you check the Radio forum, as there have been a few recent threads on wifi radios there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

BBC Radio is available on sky, you just listen to it through the tv.

byte

Hagar wrote: »
    BBC Radio is available on sky, you just listen to it through the tv.
    He's done that, but the TV has to be very loud for her to hear it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sorry I thought there might be sky throughout the house and a portable tv nearby. My bad.

Advertisement