Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free reign or free rein?

• 11-01-2009 11:27pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What's the correct spelling of this expression, equivalent to carte blanche? Does it refer to allowing someone to rule as (s)he sees fit or to run loose and unbridled?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Free rein. As in giving the horse it's head.

have seen 'free reign' used in error a fair bit also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

What's the correct spelling of this expression, equivalent to carte blanche? Does it refer to allowing someone to rule as (s)he sees fit or to run loose and unbridled?

Yes, 'free rein' is the correct one. I like your definitions. It's not surprising that 'free reign' gets used though as it also makes sense, especially to people unfamiliar with horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

In this weather, "free rain" is also acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I read 'free reign' in a book recently, and then was worried that I had been mis-spelling - nay, mis-understanding - the term since I was about 9. I'm glad that I was not. Also, what shoddy editing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

copacetic wrote: »
    Free rein. As in giving the horse it's head.

have seen 'free reign' used in error a fair bit also.

Or even giving a horse its head.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

*returns to the corner*

Advertisement