Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Why so slow

Options
  • 11-01-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

Why is the speed limit on the N6 80km/h ? I mean, the bypass/motorway is in place now. There's a lot less traffic on the roads and the roads are quite decent. Where's the sense in reducing the speed of the N6 to 80km/h when it's easily capable of 100+ ?

Quite annoying as a L driver I can't use the motorway so takes a lot longer to get into Athlone from Moate

Comments

The N6 has been downgraded to the R(something or other) and for some strange reason, Ireland sets speed limits by road classification (M, N or R & L) rather than by road type (Motorway, Dual carriageway, single carriagway & Rural, Suburban or Urban) like most of the rest of the world.

The quality of the road has little to do with it, It's an R road now, therefore (without a special order - like the N1 for example has 120kmh ) it's 80kmh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Depends if you want to obey the speed limit because that's just the way you are, or you just don't want to get caught. I have family living out that direction, and they've never seen any speed checks on it since it has been downgraded.

With about 90% of traffic gone, most accidents are caused by bad driving coupled with congestion.
    There's no real incentive to police that road anymore.

Having said that, tractor drivers may be less cautious than before and more likely to pull out in front of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Yeah but you'd imagine they'd like shooting fish in a barrel on it.

Plus it was on the list they released a while back of the 700 or so roads they were to target when they got the new vans/cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

The N6 has been downgraded to the R(something or other) and for some strange reason, Ireland sets speed limits by road classification (M, N or R & L) rather than by road type (Motorway, Dual carriageway, single carriagway & Rural, Suburban or Urban) like most of the rest of the world.

I'd have assumed that the Road Classification was kinda the same thing as Road Type? M - Motorway, N - National, R - Regional, L - Local

• Advertisement

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I'd have assumed that the Road Classification was kinda the same thing as Road Type? M - Motorway, N - National, R - Regional, L - Local

Not really, a "N" road could be a High quality dual carriageway (Motorway in all but name), it could be a wide straight road with hard shoulders OR it also could be a windy narrow back road (like the Birr Road) they all have the same speed limit, madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Any way to get it changed? TBH, it's utterly stupid.

Any way to get it changed? TBH, it's utterly stupid.

Politics.....

Need I say more..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yes, please. Do go on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Why is the speed limit on the N6 80km/h ? I mean, the bypass/motorway is in place now. There's a lot less traffic on the roads and the roads are quite decent. Where's the sense in reducing the speed of the N6 to 80km/h when it's easily capable of 100+ ?

Quite annoying as a L driver I can't use the motorway so takes a lot longer to get into Athlone from Moate

Do you mind if I ask whether you drive accompanied or unaccompanied as an L driver? If you drive unaccompanied you may as well break another law and use the motorway.

How long does Moate-Athlone take on the N6? You won't know yourself when you pass your test and can legally use the m'way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement