Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Danger with overcrowding on buses

• 11-01-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭

I was travelling from Cork Bus station to Killarney on Friday 9th Jan. There were 70 or 80 people waiting for the 2.30 bus. Obviously half of us got left behind. You can imagine what happened for the 3.30 bus. There were the 30 people left from the 2.30 plus another 40 odd people. In the crush while I was putting my case in the luggage hold, I was pushed into the side of the bus and cut and bruised my face. There were no barriers, no one to give out information or help(the driver was on the bus giving out tickets to those with no luggage). I was lucky I didn't lose my footing and get trampled. Then about 5 minutes later a 2nd bus pulled up. No one had bothered to tell us all that a second bus was going to be laid on. This was right outside the bus station.... where was the inpector when he was needed? It is total negligence of the safety of the passengers. Does this happen in other places?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It is total negligence of the safety of the passengers. Does this happen in other places?

No not really, its just the complete inability of Irish people to queue properly. The driver / inspector has nothing to do with it and would probly have made little difference if one of them was there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

No one had bothered to tell us all that a second bus was going to be laid on. This was right outside the bus station.... where was the inpector when he was needed? It is total negligence of the safety of the passengers. Does this happen in other places?

No idea how it works but could the driver or other employee have noticed that a second bus was needed and relayed that info back to somebody who could do something about it.
    I love it when that happens - bus stop way too busy and somebody has the cop on to put on an extra bus. It doesn't happen nearly enough, that's why people have to mill onto the bus to make sure they get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

No not really, its just the complete inability of Irish people to queue properly. The driver / inspector has nothing to do with it and would probly have made little difference if one of them was there...
    It is a very Irish thing to go mental and disregard queues but maybe this is because in general customer service etc in Ireland is a mess and we always feel that if we don't stand up and go menthol we'll get left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

More usual to have the extra bus after the first full bus is it not? I.e. after the 14:30 bus? Or have Bus Éireann gone down in service quality recently?

In Limerick it's quite usual to see all manner of private buses on a Friday at the bus station, serving as extra relief buses for BÉ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

if its at the bus station, why cant the tickets be sold IN the bus station, and only let people on the bus who have tickets?

• Advertisement

kwalshe wrote: »
    It is a very Irish thing to go mental and disregard queues but maybe this is because in general customer service etc in Ireland is a mess and we always feel that if we don't stand up and go mentol we'll get left behind

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

dmeehan wrote: »
    if its at the bus station, why cant the tickets be sold IN the bus station, and only let people on the bus who have tickets?

Because for some reason, BE like the idea of Bus Drivers going around with lots of money. Must be a safety thing!!

I once purchased an online ticket to go from Cork to Galway, and when I arrived at the Bus station, and presented my print out at the ticket office, where I was told to go to the bus driver.

I think Bus Drivers have enough on their mind, so where possible, take the ticket process away from them. This very morning, it crossed my mind when getting on the 103 in Ashbourne that the driver must have a lot of cash, especially when most people buy the 10 journey ticket on Mondays.

I did my part, buying my ticket online this week. But even then, the system seems to make it very complicated for the driver to print out my ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

ColmR:

That's in complete contrast to Limerick bus station, where you are mostly *are* expected to purchase your ticket at the office. Indeed sometimes the bus driver doesn't even have change (although presumably he must be given some before setting off, what with the intermediate stops and all). The drivers usually make a big fuss about paying at the bus, sometimes even if the ticket office inside has been abandoned (you know, the great Irish "back in 15 mins" job).

The automatic ticket machines are a great development! I was worried when there was a notice up a day or two after they were first installed at Limerick - stating that they didn't give change, but it turned out to be a once-off (maybe the change restocking hadn't been organised yet?) and since then I've never had a problem (no problems using card payment either). A big plus is that you get a plasticised cardboard return ticket rather than a feeble big of paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

These automatic machines you speak of, are they in Bus Aras. And if so, can I buy 10 journey tickets with them. The paper tickets I get is a little bit tattered by the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Colm R wrote: »
    These automatic machines you speak of, are they in Bus Aras.
    I have seen at least one - looking at the ticket office it is on the left hand side.

There was a queue of dozens of people for the cashiers, but only about 3 people for hte machines. I wasn't complaining. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭BlancheSparks

Thanks for all your comments. I think that cos no 2nd bus was put on for 2.30 we were all very anxious about it. I think the bus driver did know, because he only let passengers for certain destinations on, but he didn't actually say that, and he was trapped in his seat checking people's tickets. Sorry, I shouldn't have said before that he was issuing tickets, he was just checking them.
    I wud have been far more relaxed and would have stood back if I had known that there would be enuf room. My face is black,blue, yellow with a red scab in the middle today. I have complaine dto bus eireann... all your comments will be a help if they ever get back to me.;)

I have complained to bus eireann... all your comments will be a help if they ever get back to me.;)

Let us know if they do ever get back to you...

someone asked me to let them know if I got a reply from the regional office. I am so hopelaess at this that I can't find who it was!!!! anyway, I did get a reply which was an insult to my... and the public's intelligence. They said that the supervisors where doing other duties and were not aware of what was happening. I replied and said that I could not think of a single duty that they could have had that was more important than my safety and that this situation happens every friday so they must know. Also... who was it that laid on the 2nd bus the?????? I only just thought of that. It must have been my higher power I suppose.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Colm R wrote: »
    These automatic machines you speak of, are they in Bus Aras. And if so, can I buy 10 journey tickets with them. The paper tickets I get is a little bit tattered by the end of the week.

I was in Busaras one evening waiting for someone and bought a 10 journey ticket for the 103 from one of the machines there.

It was fine and everything, no hassle from the drivers at all! Imagine!

Hi Cooky monster:o it was you and your request was right there above my reply LOL. Anyway had another even worse email back today. They boasted in it that they had spent 4million on Cork bus station. I resisted the temptation to send back asarcastic reply. I sent a complaint to the national Consumer council. Hopefully, they will put me on the right track. I only want someone to just come out and give us customers sny useful information, like 'don't panic, there is another bus on the way'

Advertisement