Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Writers Blues/ Paranoia

• 12-01-2009 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi guys..

I think I need the virtual equivalent of either a hug or a pep talk..

I started writing songs about maybe 8ish years ago.. I keep at it for about 3 years, performing various open mic's/ songwriter nights, gigs with friends etc.. & then my life became very busy...

Next thing you know it's five years later & all of a sudden I am inspired enough to make space for songwriting again.. I am feeling great about having this part of my alive & kicking again..

BUT, my confidence..my GOD!! It has always been an issue.. What happens is there I am, wherever, singing away & a little voice in my head says, oh shut UP!! who do you think you are?

I put a lot of work into my lyrics, wouldn't consider myself a good musician at all.. Recently I've very roughly recorded a few songs at home..once I'm finished I say, yeah, that sounds ok..

Then tonight I listen again & I think..Holy Sh1te, what am I thinking?

I have this fear of taking myself seriously, self indulging..but at the same time I'm sure I have something to contribute, because I enjoy..I Love writing songs..I just want to chill out & get rid of this horribly critical, judgemental voice in my head!!

Can anybody relate? Help? Why am I feeling like this?

I'm embarrassed by doing something I enjoy.. Is it because I'm ashamed that it is somewhat self indulgent no matter how you look at it?:(:(:(

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Gives hug.

I'd the exact same self doubt and questioning and still do. That's why I started the Airingroom (see thread). I was a little lost at sea when it came to writing and playing. I only started teaching myself to play about 3 year ago and none of my friends were musically inclined. I needed to meet people that were doing the same thing and asking themselves the same questions or indeed having the same doubts. Intrinsically writing a song leaves one very exposed. You leave the comfy surrounds of the mob to stand alone to bare one's self to the elements. Confidence comes with knowledge. Knowing that there are others out there doing the same thing raised my confidence.

How about sharing some of your recordings?

Advertisement