Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot spots in Athlone

Options
  • 12-01-2009 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I looking for some good pubs and restaurants in Athlone. A group of work colleagues are looking to head out there in the next two weeks. Is there any good hotels for around fifty to ninety euro's a night midweek.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

Hi T Corolla.

The Prince of Wales hotel is a nice place to stay and the grub there is good too.

From there every pub in town is within a 5 minute walk left or right. Karma Nightclub is also part of The Prince of Wales Hotel so you can finish the party close to you beds LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Food in the Prince of Wales is crap! Eugh.

It used to be quite good, not eaten there in a while so maybe its changed since. The Radisson does a great home made burger tho yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The Sheraton has some lovely food. I'm in love with their seafood chowder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

other good pubs are:

Gerty Browns (near the town bridge) and Seans (west side),

Hotels - Shamrock Lodge and The Prince of Wales and the Raddisson would be the most central for you. Don't know anything about the Sheraton.

try this link as we have a bar and restaurant forum on it which we update every now and then. :)

http://www.athlonelive.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

any hotel will do you a deal, and they are all near town... prince, sheraton, radisson.
    If there is a big group maybe coppers bar could be a good spot. Its the busiest place around Athlone at the moment. Gerties is nice but might not be suitable for a big group.
    Also Club Q is pretty cool, Way bigger than Karma so The group could stay together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

any hotel will do you a deal, and they are all near town... prince, sheraton, radisson.
    If there is a big group maybe coppers bar could be a good spot. Its the busiest place around Athlone at the moment. Gerties is nice but might not be suitable for a big group.
    Also Club Q is pretty cool, Way bigger than Karma so The group could stay together.

Thats closing down! Didnt last very long did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Danny_B wrote: »
    Thats closing down! Didnt last very long did it.

Shame. Had a kind of awful charm, even if it was full of "heads".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Sadly the pub trade is dying a slow and painful death..so many of them closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Its not closing down,but it is not opening monday-wednesdsay. I know that for a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

if coppers is closing down it sure as hell didn't seem like it last night :P

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

coppers is the best pub in athlone at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Coppers is a disgrace. Between who they hire, who they let in and what they charge for drinks, I wont be frequenting there again.

If late bars are your thing, the Palace is the one. Clubwise, id recommend Karma but the town is not brill for clubs overall so...

Depending on night, heres where to go

Monday - Scribes at college. Decent offers on drink, then onto Genesis
    Tuesday - Shack. Jamming session. Free in. Not much else on in town
    Wednesday - Scribes again. College biggest night out. Usually live music
    Thursday/Fri/Sat - Palace. Karma After

Coppers is a disgrace. Between who they hire, who they let in and what they charge for drinks

Speaking of Dives! lol Anyone hear what happened to Biddys?.. Was opened there for a while.. Supposed to be under new management and was getting a good re-vamp. Seems it didnt last long. I priced up a few jobs there, and when I went back with quotes it was closed, tried to call the owner and dont get an answer. Looks like it pretty well locked up now.

From what I saw, it looked like it might have done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

coppers is actually cheaper for pints then bozos or karma. and they open til the same time as them. dont know how much they are for your cocktails and the likes but i do love coming there after the pubs shut knowing i dont have to fork over a tenner at the door! its grand when all you want is another couple of pints. seems to be an older crowd going there

Advertisement