Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux Anti-Virus

• 12-01-2009 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭

Do linux anti-virus programs detect windows viruses? are there any particular programs designed for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Do linux anti-virus programs detect windows viruses? are there any particular programs designed for this?

What viruses other than windows ones are there? Linux doesn't get viruses like windows does, See.

Clam AV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

No need for conventional anti virus software.

Linux is a multi-user system, so real security is somewhat of a concern:pac:
    You really only need a firewall like iptables and a ruleset for your INPUT OUTPUT and FORWARD chains.

iptables is not very easy to figure out if you don't have some experience with it, but you can use this to generate a ruleset specific to your system. You could also use a graphical tool like UbuntuFirewall or Firestarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Do linux anti-virus programs detect windows viruses?

ClamAV seems to be the best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

AVG also do an antivirus for linux, but I don't know how good it is or what features it supports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

I dont actually want anti-virus software for my OS, i understand that linux isnt as vulnerable to attack. I should have made that clearer at the beginning.

Lets say a windows machine has a virus, could i take that harddrive and scan it with anti-virus software running on a linux machine. It would allow me to scan for viruses without threat of infection and would also stop a virus potentially attacking my anti-virus software to stop it scanning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I dont actually want anti-virus software for my OS, i understand that linux isnt as vulnerable to attack. I should have made that clearer at the beginning.

Lets say a windows machine has a virus, could i take that harddrive and scan it with anti-virus software running on a linux machine. It would allow me to scan for viruses without threat of infection and would also stop a virus potentially attacking my anti-virus software to stop it scanning.

There seems to be a bit of discussion about that here. http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-577679.html

As mentioned on the thread something like the Ultumate boot CD comes with an AV program.

I think there are other AV programs that can be run from a boot CD too, but can't remember the names now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Linux does get virii.... it's just a good bit harder to infect. I've found that Wine can get them from time to time, especially using Internet Explorer 6 for certain things. Watching them run in Wine is a bit like watching anthrax in a petri dish.

I have Avast! free, for Linux, for the simple reason that I need to scan files I'm sending on to people, so I don't send pass on Virus to someone I like. Just because you don't get infected, doesnt mean you don't carry the disease.

Advertisement