Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Hotel (deal site?) - March 4th-8th

• 12-01-2009 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Am heading off to New York on 04/03 until 08/03 with the missus for our anniversary, and am looking for something for 4 nights. Lookin prett-y expensive for something in around Times square at the mo... :(

Anyone know of any good deals/websites to find same? Have scoured tripadvisor and the usual linked affiliates...

Appreciate any help you can give...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

www.expedia.com have a few good deals...
    When I went to New york I stayed in a nice hotel called the milford plaza.Very central location.Its about 80 euro per room per night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

poisonated wrote: »
    When I went to New york I stayed in a nice hotel called the milford plaza.Very central location.Its about 80 euro per room per night.

Cheers for that, budget probably extends to about 2x that amount. Not spending for the sake of it etc but it doesn't seem like I can find anything decent until u reach €120-150 per night.

That hotel gets caned on tripadvisor by the way, but cheers for the heads-up, u were probably one of the lucky ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I go over at least once a year. I started off in the big hotels, but they are definitely not worth the money. The last couple of times ive stayed in a place called the Leo House. its on west 23rd, just off eighth avenue, which in my opinion is the perfect location. Its dirt cheap, like 50 euro a night, its clean and you have your own bathroom etc, cleaned every day. They dont have a website so give them a call.

Leo House +1 212 9291010
    332 West 23rd Street

Trust me on this by the way, best kept secret in new york...

poisonated wrote: »

I stayed here first in 2003, one of the lads was there again this year, again, an alright hotel, but not worth the cash. Sure you are never in the room anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Could always try priceline.com

• Advertisement

novarock wrote: »
    Sure you are never in the room anyway..

That's a good shout in fairness, but Im such a sucker for "doing it properly" (especially considerin I got the flights for €224 pp.).

consultech wrote: »
    That's a good shout in fairness, but Im such a sucker for "doing it properly" (especially considerin I got the flights for €224 pp.).

there's doing it properly, and there's having a load of extra cash. You should look it up though... As a regular visitor to the city id recommend it. An alternative though if you have the cash is the pod hotel on 53rd or 51st, cant remember which. very modern trendy type place, again, very close to midtown.

there's doing it properly, and there's having a load of extra cash. You should look it up though... As a regular visitor to the city id recommend it. An alternative though if you have the cash is the pod hotel on 53rd or 51st, cant remember which. very modern trendy type place, again, very close to midtown.

The Pod looks nice, rooms look a bit pokey though. Will check it out properly though!

Anyone got any other ideas?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I've stayed in the Pennsylvania Hotel twice and the New Yorker once. Both around Madison Square Gardens in Manhattan.

They're not bad for the money, great location.

The rooms weren't galmourous but clean. They might be worth a look for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

keep an eye on www.1800hotels.ie i got a great deal there on the fitzpatrick grand central, only €80 a night!
    you can use www.hotwire.com or www.priceline.com to bid for hotels though you won't be 100% certain when you bid exactly which hotel it is but check www.betterbidding.com beforehand as they have very good advice on how to win hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

dont know if this will help but there is somebody on adverts.ie selling a €300 voucher for 1800hotels.ie for €150 could save u some money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 k-mecca

Hi mate.....here's my suggeston.
    I'm staying in the Marriott at Brooklyn bridge in May.....A couple of reasons,firstly it's right at the brooklyn bridge and there is no more romantic way to walk across to Manhattan (15 minutes),Secondly you won't pay Manhattan prices but you get 4 star and thirdly when you get across the bridge you are in Soho great shopping for your wife on Prince street e.t.c......Marriott also do a deal where they'll give you discounts for Woodbury common shopping outlets,check their website for details.
    1 more tip take her to Peter luger steakhouse for the best steak in the world.
    Enjoy my friend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

jdivision wrote: »
    Could always try priceline.com

+1, used Priceline last year (the bidding section) to get the Morgans Hotel on Madison Avenue for $180 a night when the rack rate (albeit unrealistic) was over $500. Cross-check with biddingfortravel.com to see what other people are currently getting.

+1, used Priceline last year (the bidding section) to get the Morgans Hotel on Madison Avenue for $180 a night when the rack rate (albeit unrealistic) was over $500. Cross-check with biddingfortravel.com to see what other people are currently getting.

Am I right in assuming with those websites that you don't know what you're paying for until you've paid for it?

Not to be too much of a fussy freddy but I prob wouldnt be into that as Im a big tripadvisor head.

Some good tips here tho, will definitely be checkin em out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Am I right in assuming with those websites that you don't know what you're paying for until you've paid for it?

Not to be too much of a fussy freddy but I prob wouldnt be into that as Im a big tripadvisor head.

Some good tips here tho, will definitely be checkin em out!

Correct, you bid on a particular hotel level (3*, 4* etc.) in a particular area, but you don't have a specific choice over which one you get. However, biddingfortravel has listings of what hotels people have booked on a per-area and per-level basis (e.g., all 4* in Midtown east), so you can research the possiblities on Tripadvisor. Unless you're very partial to a particular place, any 4*/5* hotel in Manhattan will probably be good.

Note that the bookings are charged immediately and are non-refundable if your bid is accepted, so make sure your dates are correct! It's also a good idea to follow up with the hotel to get a non-smoking room if you need one.

Correct, you bid on a particular hotel level (3*, 4* etc.) in a particular area, but you don't have a specific choice over which one you get. However, biddingfortravel has listings of what hotels people have booked on a per-area and per-level basis (e.g., all 4* in Midtown east), so you can research the possiblities on Tripadvisor. Unless you're very partial to a particular place, any 4*/5* hotel in Manhattan will probably be good.

Note that the bookings are charged immediately and are non-refundable if your bid is accepted, so make sure your dates are correct! It's also a good idea to follow up with the hotel to get a non-smoking room if you need one.

Cheers for that Bill - Have given the biddingfortravel forum a good look too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

we stayed in the lucerne on 79th st for christmas, between columbus ave and amstradam ave, its nice very client friendly, they could not do enough for us, they have a pretty nice resturant ajoining, we ended up in a suite, man that was cool. its nice and quite up there, 15 buck taxi ride to times square,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shifers

An alternative though if you have the cash is the pod hotel on 53rd or 51st, cant remember which. very modern trendy type place, again, very close to midtown.

I would not recommend the Pod. Stayed there in 2007 as it was the best option value-wise, but to the say the rooms are small is an understatement. It really got to me the first night, though I did get sort of used to it after a while. Also, your bathroom is essentially a closet with sliding see-through doors, you'd want to be going out together a while. ;-)

Next time I'm going I think I'll either book something on priceline or check out the inns/b&bs in the 2nd tab on Tripadvisor.

shifers wrote: »
    I would not recommend the Pod. Stayed there in 2007 as it was the best option value-wise, but to the say the rooms are small is an understatement. It really got to me the first night, though I did get sort of used to it after a while. Also, your bathroom is essentially a closet with sliding see-through doors, you'd want to be going out together a while. ;-)

I figured as much - Even their marketing photo of a room looks about 6x6'!

pod%20hotel%20new%20york.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Hi ,Ive been going to New York a couple of times a year for past few years and always stay at the Pennslyvania ,its basic but i like the location.I have used a travel company based in Jersey for most of the trips i made in the past couple of years (was sorry not to have found it when first started going).If you email them your requirements and tell her your price range she will give you an excellent deal.I always get a superior room in the Penn (vip check in so no queue ,bigger room with free internet access and free tea and coffee) for little or nothing ,$227 per night incl taxes(stays same all year) ,ive been qouted twice that on a lot of sites incl hotels own.You give her your cred card details but are not charged its just used to hold room and you pay wgen you get there.Cant recommend them enough.Give it a try .

lindahillside@hotmail.com

.Shes lovely to deal with and will definetly help you ,alternativly you can check there site and email through that .Think this is right one ,i always just email her when im going .

www.nychoteldiscounts.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

Am heading off to New York on 04/03 until 08/03 with the missus for our anniversary, and am looking for something for 4 nights. Lookin prett-y expensive for something in around Times square at the mo... :(

Anyone know of any good deals/websites to find same? Have scoured tripadvisor and the usual linked affiliates...

Appreciate any help you can give...

Try www.boo.com. boo has links to Priceline (mentioned by others) and a good mix of budget accommodation.
    Its worth a look- just booked Barcelona trip through them at the weekend myself!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Been to NY 5 times and as said above the hotel doesnt bother me one bit as I'm only in it to sleep.

Friends were in the pod and it was cool, good location (around the corner from hooters :D:D)

Don't worry about it, I appreciate the help.

Settled on Renaissance Times Square in the end. Ignored all bargain-related advice completely!!

Advertisement